Overheard at the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Shib26

Bronze

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Post by Shib26 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:23 am

1) "If I don't get above a 151 my dad's gonna be pissed that he'll have to make a bigger donation to UT."

I really wanted to believe the guy was kidding, but it was Austin and he fit a certain mold.

2) "We can't have cell phones?"

followed by the proctor offering to set it on the desk outside, then 5 more people hold up their cell phones. Seriously... you want to go to law school and yet you can't even read the 4 page document that comes with your admission ticket?

LitigatingLiar

Bronze

Post by LitigatingLiar » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:12 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
LitigatingLiar wrote:Nothing crazy at my location. One girl had her mother with her the entire time. Walked all the way to the classroom with us. She was there when we came out for the break and later at the end. Afterwards one guy was talking about trying to break a 150. He actually took a class which surprised me. He said he could probably still get into St Thomas (FL) his alma mater if he gets near a 150. Two other girls that I spoke with afterwards said, they didn't even attempt two of the games.
Stories like this make me question my ability to love my hypothetical unborn child.
That's not even that bad. I was at an open house at the University of Miami's law school. I sat down at a table with someone else and we spoke briefly about our past and where we came from. Then a mother and daughter sat next to me. Her mother started talking to me and asking me questions as if she was trying to scout me out for her daughter. Her daughter was a gorgeous blond, but you can tell she was almost intimidated by her mother. Her daughter was early twenties. A little too young for me, since I'm in my mid 30's. Once I said I was married with kids, she didn't say anything else to me the rest of the evening. Even if I was single I could not handle a potential mother in law like that.
Last edited by LitigatingLiar on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:23 pm

LitigatingLiar wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
LitigatingLiar wrote:Nothing crazy at my location. One girl had her mother with her the entire time. Walked all the way to the classroom with us. She was there when we came out for the break and later at the end. Afterwards one guy was talking about trying to break a 150. He actually took a class which surprised me. He said he could probably still get into St Thomas (FL) his alma mater if he gets near a 150. Two other girls that I spoke with afterwards said, they didn't even attempt two of the games.
Stories like this make me question my ability to love my hypothetical unborn child.
That's not even that bad. I was at an open house at the University of Miami's law school. I sat down at a table with someone else and we spoke briefly about our past and where came from. Then a mother and daughter sat next to me. Her mother started talking to me and asking me questions as if she was trying to scout me out for her daughter. Her daughter was a gorgeous blond, but you can tell she was almost intimidated by her mother. Her daughter was early twenties. A little too young for me, since I'm in my mid 30's. Once I said I was married with kids, she never said anything to me the rest of the evening. Even if I was single I could not handle a potential mother in law like that.
LitigatingLiar
LitigatingLiar
Liar

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Yeah, suuure that happened
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LitigatingLiar

Bronze

Post by LitigatingLiar » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:45 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Yeah, suuure that happened
That's fine, if you don't want to believe me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:54 pm

even if the open house is true, that's probably motivated bc the mom's an attention whore. the mom that's sitting on the bench for 5 hrs straight while the kid is taking a test requires real dedication.

LitigatingLiar

Bronze

Post by LitigatingLiar » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:04 pm

pancakes3 wrote:even if the open house is true, that's probably motivated bc the mom's an attention whore. the mom that's sitting on the bench for 5 hrs straight while the kid is taking a test requires real dedication.
I meant to say a recruiting event. Where current students talk about the school, admissions answer questions, etc. Whatever was her motivation, I don't care. I just thought it was funny.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:13 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:The guy next to me: "So, yea, I took the test before and I was pissed because I didn't score anywhere near my highest practice tests. I studied for a few months, took a Kaplan test, and I even came to this room and took PTs on Saturdays before the test under real conditions. I worked my ass off and I scored way below my top practice test score...so I decided to retake. But I've really worked my ass off this time...I took another Kaplan class too. I'm going to kick some ass today."

Me: "That sucks, what was the score that you were shooting for on your first attempt."

Guy next to me: "150-155"
Classic tier III

sjp200

Bronze

Post by sjp200 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:27 am

MAPP wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:The guy next to me: "So, yea, I took the test before and I was pissed because I didn't score anywhere near my highest practice tests. I studied for a few months, took a Kaplan test, and I even came to this room and took PTs on Saturdays before the test under real conditions. I worked my ass off and I scored way below my top practice test score...so I decided to retake. But I've really worked my ass off this time...I took another Kaplan class too. I'm going to kick some ass today."

Me: "That sucks, what was the score that you were shooting for on your first attempt."

Guy next to me: "150-155"
Classic tier III
When someone mentions Kaplan courses as part of their prep, I immediately assume they did not do their research before taking the test. When someone mentions a 7sage video, all I can think about is how great his methods are, and how annoyed I get when he goes off on a tangent on obvious things, and then reminds me to review lessons I did not sign up for

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheWalkingDebt

Silver

Post by TheWalkingDebt » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 am

Small but funny

Same girl said both

"I didn't study, because it is about logic and at this point you either are good at logic or not and can't really improve that"

At break: "I didn't get to 4-5 questions, but that's pretty good because it is only 4 or 5 and there are a lot of questions"

lennybriscoe

New

Post by lennybriscoe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:37 am

Last edited by lennybriscoe on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJKRD92

New

Post by DJKRD92 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:47 am

I walk into the waiting room before registration and there's already a couple of dudes there. They both seemed friendly and one of them starts a conversation with me.

Dude: "is this your first time taking the LSATs?"
Me: "no, it's actually my third and last time."
Dude: "Any advice for us first-timers?"
Me: "Yeah, just don't freak out. That's what happened to me during my first time. It's just Preptest 77. Nothing more, nothing less. You almost know what score you're going to get."
Dude: (looks very confused) "Preptests?"
Me: "Yeah, didn't you do preptests?"
Dude: Umm I did practice problems but I never sat down and took a full section.

I tried.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:49 am

I couldn't handle a girl that brings her mom to a law school's open house.

I mean undergrad open house is one thing, but...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

newcareernewtown

New

Post by newcareernewtown » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Last edited by newcareernewtown on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lennybriscoe

New

Post by lennybriscoe » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:24 pm

adj8103

Bronze

Post by adj8103 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:05 am

Removed my UG from my profile just so I could post this.

>Get to Dec 5 LSAT day early. See Pre-law Society President. Beautiful, charming, and very well put-together young lady.
> I say "You took the Oct. right? How did it go?"
> "It was okay. I'm trying to get a better score, at least a 155."
> "Oh cool. Where are you applying?"
> "College of Charleston, Central and Elon. What about you?"
> "UNC. I want a 165 or higher."
> "Well, don't count on it." Makes an irritated face at me.....

ok.jpg

adj8103

Bronze

Post by adj8103 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:52 am

cogitoergosum wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Mauve Dinosaur wrote:2 guys who seem to know each other

Guy 1: "Okay say you're on your 5th section of your third writing and it's RC. You screwed up your last 2 tests but you aced all the other sections. This one is harder, but manageable but you WILL need all your time. Meanwhile your insides are churning and you know that you WON'T be able to hold it in until the end of the section. Do you shit your pants or give up your dream of becoming a lawyer."
Guy 2: I would totally shit my pants. Wouldn't even think about it. I'd smell like ass but walk out of there with my head held high like a boss.
Guy 1: Me too, I even came prepared. I'm wearing Depends *pulls down pants slightly*
Guy 2: FUCK wish I thought of that. You're a genius bro.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Why do I love this one so much? A presumably healthy guy in his early twenties is conferred genius status not in spite of, but because of the fact that he is wearing adult diapers....

Only the LSAT... (shaking head)
It's pathetic how much this speaks to me. TMI: I had to leave my second section at the five minutes remaining mark because I had diarrhea.. I slammed my fingers in the stall door because I was trying to hurry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LitigatingLiar

Bronze

Post by LitigatingLiar » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:34 pm

newcareernewtown wrote:
TheWalkingDebt wrote:
"I didn't study, because it is about logic and at this point you either are good at logic or not and can't really improve that"
Funny, but kinda true if you think about it...
They don't understand that sometimes something is logical but not real world true. Remember that old LSAT MBT question about unless sales increase 10% a store will close and if 10% is possible then so is 20% So it's ~C --> 10% --> 20% The correct answer was ~20% -->C. I don't know how many crazy looks I've gotten when I show that question after someone says something like that.

Dave118

New

Post by Dave118 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:51 am

The proctor at my testing center announced just as everyone was settling in, "Everyone please make sure your cellphones are on silent." When we all chuckled and explained that we aren't allowed to have cellphones she arrogantly declared, "But if they're off then it's okay."

thetravelinglawyer

New

Post by thetravelinglawyer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:25 am

Post Deleted
Last edited by thetravelinglawyer on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Bump for the people who lost there test..........

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:20 pm

scollop wrote:A girl accidentally dropped her admission ticket in the toilet before going into the testing toom
This is easily the saddest one of I've read so far, and I've read a bunch. That's the kind of stupid crap that would happen to me. I hope she got it sorted out.

LitigatingLiar

Bronze

Post by LitigatingLiar » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:52 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Bump for the people who lost there test..........
Lost tests? What happened? They get a free retake?

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:19 am

LitigatingLiar wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:Bump for the people who lost there test..........
Lost tests? What happened? They get a free retake?
Yeah I don't understand what this means either. Please explain.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:25 am

thetravelinglawyer wrote:So, I took my test at a center in Europe. Almost all of the test takers were American, mostly kids of expats or doing study abroad programs. The testing admin sent out a special email warning everyone that there would not be any place to leave bags or cell phones, and saying that they had had a lot of problems with this in the past so they wanted everyone to be clear not to bring prohibited items.

I was the first to arrive at my testing center (gunner-in-training) and I got to watch every single person arrive. They had a guy posted at the door to the building forbidding anyone from bringing purses, cell phones, backpacks, etc. At LEAST 75% of people had a forbidden item. Minimum. I only saw a handful of people show up with just their clear bag and walk in without a problem. And these people weren't even crafty enough to lie about it, there were so many who, when the door guard said "Do you have a cell phone on you?" they said "Yes it's in my pocket, can I leave it at the front desk?"

Several kids had huge backpacks (like those massive hiking-style backpacks), and they were having meltdowns because their bags had their laptops, cell phones, all their clothes and shoes, return train tickets, basically everything they owned. They had gone to several local cafes and asked the owners to let them stash their bags there and had struck out. Most had spent a lot of money to fly or take a train in from a neighboring country, so missing the test would have been an (even more) expensive mistake.

This huge crowd formed outside of people who were panicking because they didn't know where to put their stuff, and eventually the testing center admin came out and ripped them a new one. She called them stupid, arrogant children who thought the rules didn't apply to them. She told them all they shouldn't bother taking the test because if they couldn't be bothered to read instructions, they would never survive law school. Not gonna lie, got a little justice boner on that one. I wanted to high five that lady. Afterwards they were all grumbling about how rude and awful she was. The lack of self awareness was crazy, if that had been me I would have been mortified and so apologetic, and they were just brats about it, they were angry that their needs weren't being accommodated.

Sadly some local cafe owner eventually took pity on them and took in all their stuff, and they all made it back in time.
You're a tool.

The fact that they don't have a room for bags to be stored shows how TTT LSAC is as an organization.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”