Overheard at the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Cupidity

Gold

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 am

LSAT administration at my law school. Run into a proctor in the elevator as she's making a vending machine run:

Me: So, having fun with all these kids taking the LSAT?
Proctor: Hah, tell me about it, its so boring!
Me: At least you don't have to take it, right?
Proctor: I know, I'd hate to do that again! I took it three years ago and got a 144!

So next time you think, Christ what is my proctor thinking?! Now you know. They are either unintelligent, or bitter towards LSAT takers, or both.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
KShip wrote: I took the June LSAT this week. There were 3 people that did not know their SSN. They were allowed to go outside and call their mothers durin the break using the proctor's cell.
:lol: :lol: That is so precious.
LULZ. Yeah I had to do that before standardized tests too, back in the 4th grade or so.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:27 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:and Crumpets I feel your pain. We were definitely in the same room if in addition to the "A space" problem she called "5 minutes remain" *mass panic and scribbling* One minute later: "Ohh, errr...nine minutes remains"
Hahha unfortunately no, that did not happen. We switched proctors somewhere during the test and it was an asian lady instead of the original old fat dude who gave us trouble with the A0 stuff. I wish my room had been more amusing, the only other funny thing was some aspie kid sitting next to me who asked 29348234832 questions x_X He's the one who started the whole A0/AO debate, and he kept chuckling under his breath really loudly and making super loud and awkward comments to himself about it.

Oh, and he also only brought 1 pencil. e_e When he saw I brought like 7, he was like "Oh wow you are so much more prepared than me..." It was awkward.
Haha as awkward as me standing in line with three Cooley hopefuls and a Cooley 1L? He was talking about how rough law school is (sometimes you have to read 80 pages for the next class!!! haha) and without thinking I said "Yea I just read somewhere that the average student at T10 studies 7 hours a day outside of class but I'm just gonna try not to think about that when I send out my apps." My internal dialogue was like Shit! You are not talking to TLSers here. Way to sound like "that girl". Excuuuuse me everybody, MAKE WAY FOR QUEEN DOUCHE
1. 80 pages of case law is actually an ungodly amount of reading to do for one class.
2. Being a 1L at Cooley is probably rough as shit, since they weed out people 1L year and not during admissions.
3. It wouldn't surprise me if the average Cooley student studied longer outside of class than the average T10 student. And the 7 hours outside of class sounds pretty high for either.

Edit: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... rev-2.html

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 am

KShip wrote:First post.

I took the June LSAT this week. There were 3 people that did not know their SSN. They were allowed to go outside and call their mothers durin the break using the proctor's cell.
Jesus.......

Lawless2011

New

Post by Lawless2011 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:22 am

donnat wrote:I'm surprised about the chapstick. Couldn't that be considered under medical or hygiene?

Yep. I had to throw my chapstick away. I wanted to ask them whats the point? Do you think a camera could fit in it? I had to also open up my 5hour energy drink for him to take a peek inside of it smh

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:30 am

Deuce wrote:

I took the June LSAT this week. There were 3 people that did not know their SSN. They were allowed to go outside and call their mothers durin the break using the proctor's cell.
Jesus.......
When I took it in October, I had about 20 seconds of abject panic when I couldn't remember my SSN, but it was just a momentary brain glitch. I can't imagine any adult not knowing theirs. That's just stupid.

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Do you think a camera could fit in it? I had to also open up my 5hour energy drink for him to take a peek inside of it smh
LMFAO!!!

Hunterrhoid

New

Post by Hunterrhoid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Can we get a roll call of what your parents would say to this call?

I'm imagining the mother explaining this call to the father later, and both knowing that their child is doomed. My dad would've grabbed the phone and told me not to bother with any damned LSAT if I couldn't remember my SSN.

Actually, I can see my mother saying that too.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Me: Um, so I'm taking this test and I don't know my social security number?

Mother Woman: (after laughing her ass off) *Hangs up*

That wouldn't have turned out well. Also, as an added benefit, it would be a topic of conversation at family dinners, holidays, and any other time she had a captive audience. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:06 pm

memphisbelle wrote:Me: Um, so I'm taking this test and I don't know my social security number?

Mother Woman: (after laughing her ass off) *Hangs up*

That wouldn't have turned out well. Also, as an added benefit, it would be a topic of conversation at family dinners, holidays, and any other time she had a captive audience. :mrgreen:
This, but if given the opportunity, the same mother would also look for any opportunity to "subtly" drop the H-bomb or the Y-bomb or whatever. :lol:

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:and Crumpets I feel your pain. We were definitely in the same room if in addition to the "A space" problem she called "5 minutes remain" *mass panic and scribbling* One minute later: "Ohh, errr...nine minutes remains"
Hahha unfortunately no, that did not happen. We switched proctors somewhere during the test and it was an asian lady instead of the original old fat dude who gave us trouble with the A0 stuff. I wish my room had been more amusing, the only other funny thing was some aspie kid sitting next to me who asked 29348234832 questions x_X He's the one who started the whole A0/AO debate, and he kept chuckling under his breath really loudly and making super loud and awkward comments to himself about it.

Oh, and he also only brought 1 pencil. e_e When he saw I brought like 7, he was like "Oh wow you are so much more prepared than me..." It was awkward.
Haha as awkward as me standing in line with three Cooley hopefuls and a Cooley 1L? He was talking about how rough law school is (sometimes you have to read 80 pages for the next class!!! haha) and without thinking I said "Yea I just read somewhere that the average student at T10 studies 7 hours a day outside of class but I'm just gonna try not to think about that when I send out my apps." My internal dialogue was like Shit! You are not talking to TLSers here. Way to sound like "that girl". Excuuuuse me everybody, MAKE WAY FOR QUEEN DOUCHE
1. 80 pages of case law is actually an ungodly amount of reading to do for one class.
2. Being a 1L at Cooley is probably rough as shit, since they weed out people 1L year and not during admissions.
3. It wouldn't surprise me if the average Cooley student studied longer outside of class than the average T10 student. And the 7 hours outside of class sounds pretty high for either.

Edit: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... rev-2.html
Classes are only on Tues/Thurs, so he has a while to read those 80 pages...Plus he said most days "it's pretty chill", meaning not much reading I assume.

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:42 am

Just took the LSAT this past Monday and had a couple interesting moments...

-We were in a huge lecture hall for the test, and when they were asking if there were any questions, one of the test-takers near the back of the room tried to ask the proctor, "Will you be giving us a warning when there are five minutes left in each section?" The elderly proctor, bless her heart, couldn't hear this guy for the life of him. Instead of speaking louder, he proceeded to rephrase the question about half a dozen times with attempts including:

"In the case that there are only a few minutes left, will you give us an alert?"
"If there are only five minutes left, will you be giving us some kind of signal?"
"What happens when there are only five minutes left?"
"Will you be giving us any messages as far as how much time we have left?"
"Will you be giving any verbal signals for how much time is left?"

Finally, someone had the mercy to simply restate the original question loudly... I couldn't do it because I wanted to see how many semi-synonyms this guy could find for alert/warning.

- I have had a cold on and off for the last couple weeks so I brought in some tissues and a napkin in case of nose-blowing. When the proctors were going around checking ziplocs, she looks at the apparently suspicious brown napkin in mine and asks me... "Is that... just a napkin?" I nodded, not really sure what else she expected me to say. She stared at it for about thirty seconds before accepting my claim.

-We also had a kid who didn't put the picture on his ticket, so they butchered his college ID and taped it on right there.

Overall though, the people were cool and the proctors were kind (they actually told us that they would prefer not to kick people out of the the test).

Hunterrhoid

New

Post by Hunterrhoid » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:07 am

Sheehan wrote:Just took the LSAT this past Monday and had a couple interesting moments...

-We were in a huge lecture hall for the test, and when they were asking if there were any questions, one of the test-takers near the back of the room tried to ask the proctor, "Will you be giving us a warning when there are five minutes left in each section?" The elderly proctor, bless her heart, couldn't hear this guy for the life of him. Instead of speaking louder, he proceeded to rephrase the question about half a dozen times with attempts including:

"In the case that there are only a few minutes left, will you give us an alert?"
"If there are only five minutes left, will you be giving us some kind of signal?"
"What happens when there are only five minutes left?"
"Will you be giving us any messages as far as how much time we have left?"
"Will you be giving any verbal signals for how much time is left?"

Finally, someone had the mercy to simply restate the original question loudly... I couldn't do it because I wanted to see how many semi-synonyms this guy could find for alert/warning.

- I have had a cold on and off for the last couple weeks so I brought in some tissues and a napkin in case of nose-blowing. When the proctors were going around checking ziplocs, she looks at the apparently suspicious brown napkin in mine and asks me... "Is that... just a napkin?" I nodded, not really sure what else she expected me to say. She stared at it for about thirty seconds before accepting my claim.

-We also had a kid who didn't put the picture on his ticket, so they butchered his college ID and taped it on right there.

Overall though, the people were cool and the proctors were kind (they actually told us that they would prefer not to kick people out of the the test).
San Diego? California Western? If not, then LSAT administrations have doppelgangers, and I'm scared about stuff now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:20 am

Haha actually I was in Omaha, NE...

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:29 am

Sheehan wrote:Haha actually I was in Omaha, NE...
Wow, I must have been in the zone Chief because I did not notice any of that, and I thought the proctors were hardasses, not nice at all.

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:04 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Sheehan wrote:Haha actually I was in Omaha, NE...
Wow, I must have been in the zone Chief because I did not notice any of that, and I thought the proctors were hardasses, not nice at all.
I noticed they gave one guy a really tough time who was trying to enter either late or without some required item, but I didn't see them being that tough otherwise. Although whenever I come home to Omaha, I always feel like everyone is so ridiculously friendly that I may have unconsciously ignored any evidence that would contradict my beliefs.

I was pretty ADD before the test started (so used to PT's where when you want to test, you get to start right away, I suppose) but once Section 1 started, I was in my own hyper-focused world until the end start of writing.

Storm

New

Post by Storm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:45 pm

A guy in front of me was wearing a hat and sunglasses in the picture that he taped to his ticket. Needless to say he got rejected.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Finalflash013

New

Post by Finalflash013 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Some guy: The writing section is the most important part, because they get to see you think creatively, whereas the other sections don't allow that

Me: O_o, yeah, okay, good luck dude.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:47 pm

I heard people saying how they took a practice test. One! Then it hyped me up because I starting thinking I was better than everyone in the room. Probably not true, but it took away the test anxiety.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:01 pm

The fuckhead sitting next to me was using a jumbo novelty pencil.

gggrra

New

Post by gggrra » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Yes! this thread's been revived. <3

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Verity wrote:The fuckhead sitting next to me was using a jumbo novelty pencil.
lmao

Sloth Hero

Bronze

Post by Sloth Hero » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 pm

I like this thread.

It reminds you that the average law school applicant is less ambitious than the average TLS user. It's obvious, but sometimes you got lost in all the threads about scoring 175+ and you get a warped view of who else is applying.

On a side note, there should be some secret clothing item that TLS users wear when they take the LSAT -- such as a certain color shirt or something, or maybe something subtler, so we could identify each other.

It could get silly.

gggrra

New

Post by gggrra » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:I like this thread.

It reminds you that the average law school applicant is less ambitious than the average TLS user. It's obvious, but sometimes you got lost in all the threads about scoring 175+ and you get a warped view of who else is applying.

On a side note, there should be some secret clothing item that TLS users wear when they take the LSAT -- such as a certain color shirt or something, or maybe something subtler, so we could identify each other.

It could get silly.
wearing your shirt inside-out

Sloth Hero

Bronze

Post by Sloth Hero » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:56 pm

gggrra wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:I like this thread.

It could get silly.
wearing your shirt inside-out
That might be weird for me -- I'll start doing all my prep with my shirt inside out to prepare.

Or wear really deep V-necks.

Or, we could just not wear shirts.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”