Sometimes I feel like the LSAT... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
GoGetIt

New

Sometimes I feel like the LSAT...

Post by GoGetIt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:42 am

Is the only thing on my mind. When I go out to clubs, hang out with friends, or while in school classes, I always think about "the test" at some point or another. It's a thought that has me going "should I be home doing some logic games?" I'm sure some of you have felt the same. Yes, we all know how important this test is to the whole law school admission process, but I feel like "this test" is my ONLY hope. I just want to be an attorney so bad. Believe it or not, this onerous and time consuming career is my dream. "Esquire" is the word that keeps my determination going so that I don't give in to all of the distractions our world has to offer. "This examination" is the impediment standing in the avenue between me and a job that millions view as a reverie. How many people "say" they would love to be a lawyer out there, yet, can't drive themselves to carry out the demanding side to being one, or simply can't take the competition like some of us on TLS can? The "LSAT," is standing in the way of me making my dream a reality. I always think of how it will feel to see a great score and later, a top 5 admittance. This day, I strive to see, and this feeling of sucess, will fulfill my appetence in an enigmatic yet wonderdul way. This job won't come to me, I have to go get it. Impervious, is not a word to think of when it comes to me because I'm going to be relentless in my pursuit. I'm going to desolate this test and have no commiseration towards, it, after I've dominated "it" and achieved the great score that I want and will get. Happy Studying.

Just a little on how I feel about owning this test by any means necessary :) . Perhaps, this can serve as some inspiration to others who have tests coming soon. How do you feel about this test everyone?

strawberryfanta

Bronze

Re: Sometimes I feel like the LSAT...

Post by strawberryfanta » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:02 am

GoGetIt wrote:stuff... I always think of how it will feel to see a great score and later, a top 5 admittance... stuff
Blatant anti-*checks rankings*NYU trolling.

On a serious note, I haven't started studying yet myself but will begin to soon. I'm sure I'll be like this or worse within a month. :mrgreen:

marsilni

New

Post by marsilni » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 am

It's very easy to fall into that trap, and unfortunately, the more we obsess about the test, the tougher the test becomes. Just know that there is no way to "study" for the LSAT, you can only prepare. You can only familiarize yourself with the material and the types of questions so that on test day, you can work through the problems in front of you, rather than simply choose an answer you memorized. It's a very different experience than any other test we've taken in our lives. There's also the crucial aspect of focus/concentration/mental stamina or whatever else you want to call the ability not to go nuts from getting up at 6:15 to be at the center for 8:30 and spending the next 4+ hours hammering away at abstract questions that wouldn't be so tough if only you had more than 35 minutes to complete each section, while also trying to tell yourself it's no big deal how you do on the test even though you've invested hundreds (thousands?) of hours of your time studying for it and your choice of law school depends largely on the result.

GoGetIt

New

Post by GoGetIt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:05 pm

marsilni wrote:It's very easy to fall into that trap, and unfortunately, the more we obsess about the test, the tougher the test becomes. Just know that there is no way to "study" for the LSAT, you can only prepare. You can only familiarize yourself with the material and the types of questions so that on test day, you can work through the problems in front of you, rather than simply choose an answer you memorized. It's a very different experience than any other test we've taken in our lives. There's also the crucial aspect of focus/concentration/mental stamina or whatever else you want to call the ability not to go nuts from getting up at 6:15 to be at the center for 8:30 and spending the next 4+ hours hammering away at abstract questions that wouldn't be so tough if only you had more than 35 minutes to complete each section, while also trying to tell yourself it's no big deal how you do on the test even though you've invested hundreds (thousands?) of hours of your time studying for it and your choice of law school depends largely on the result.
Indeed. This is a valid and critical point that you've brought to the table, and I thank you. However, I do fully understand what preparing for the LSAT entails of, and that this test is unique in many standards as opposed to my preceding examinations. Moreover, as an athelete, I've learned that the LSAT is similar to developing a jumpshot or a baseball swing, it all takes practice,repetition, and most importantly, patience. Furthermore, aquiring the skills for this test is parallel to developing these sports skills and will not develop over night, with some individuals finding it harder to master the concepts than others. This test is not engulfing my life, nor will I let it. The way I look at it, this test is like a game and one must have a relentless attitude, just as athletes do towards improving their skills, in order to dominate it. There is a fine line between determination, focus, and work ethic, as opposed to ending up a mental wreck as a result of overthinking.
Last edited by GoGetIt on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marsilni

New

Post by marsilni » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:21 pm

All good points. As an athlete, you probably rely on muscle memory to perform well during the actual contest, the kind of muscle memory that comes from of hours and hours of practice. I think the same thing holds true on the LSAT. I think there comes a point where you can't think through everything on the LSAT as if it's new or unique, you just have to rely on those patterns and techniques of problem solving that come from hours of LSAT practice. Otherwise, you'll never make it through in time. Learning how to learn and thinking like a test-maker, those are key skills.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”