LR WAS INSANE Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Adjudicator

Silver

Re: LR WAS INSANE

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Indeed, there was a red herring in the "rule of law" question, and as soon as you realize that, the answer is pretty obvious.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Indeed, there was a red herring in the "rule of law" question, and as soon as you realize that, the answer is pretty obvious.
This is the question that made me so upset!

I don't think I got the right answer in the end, but initially I fell for the "red herring" answer. Then I was like WAIT A GOSH DARN MINUTE, DOES THIS REALLY HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING OR ARE THEY PLAYING OFF MY LRB SKILLZ THAT TELL ME TO DO THIS AND THAT WHEN THIS AND THAT IN THIS QUESTION ARE IRRELEVANT? I GUESS SO! DAMN IT! WHAT DO I CHOOSE?

So I chose an answer, don't even REMEMBER the answer, and then was like "WAIT MAYBE I OVERTHOUGHT THAT MAYBE IT IS THE RIGHT ANSWER AND NOT IRRELEVANT... -" and time was called.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:47 pm

eit wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Indeed, there was a red herring in the "rule of law" question, and as soon as you realize that, the answer is pretty obvious.
This is the question that made me so upset!

I don't think I got the right answer in the end, but initially I fell for the "red herring" answer. Then I was like WAIT A GOSH DARN MINUTE, DOES THIS REALLY HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING OR ARE THEY PLAYING OFF MY LRB SKILLZ THAT TELL ME TO DO THIS AND THAT WHEN THIS AND THAT IN THIS QUESTION ARE IRRELEVANT? I GUESS SO! DAMN IT! WHAT DO I CHOOSE?

So I chose an answer, don't even REMEMBER the answer, and then was like "WAIT MAYBE I OVERTHOUGHT THAT MAYBE IT IS THE RIGHT ANSWER AND NOT IRRELEVANT... -" and time was called.

I think this is the a new trend with the last five or so LSATs. They seem to be really gunning to mess up LRB kids. This especially seems to be the case with sufficient/necessary assumption questions with tricky tricky fucking trap answers that have all those characteristics we've learned to look for.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:57 pm

I've definitely noticed that LSAC is screwing with those of us who prepared. I remember on a recent preptest, I read about a lawyer making an argument and my mind immediately thought the question was find a flaw in the reasoning but it turned out to be a justify question. To realign my thinking cost me about 20 seconds.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:15 pm

I can't wait to go into more detail on the sufficient/necessary assumption when we get the scores back

I think anyone who remembers the question that used that knows why the way it was used was unusual.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm cool with them deciding to fuck more with ppl on LR because I'm good at those naturally, and the preparation just helped me in adjusting to the twists

on LG, not so much, even though the LG pros hereswear it was easy.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:08 pm

I found one LR to be more difficult and the other to be somewhat easy. Incidentally, I thought RC was a cakewalk. Those games, however.... I didn't even get to look at four questions.

I'm predicting/hoping/praying for a curve similar to the June test.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:46 pm

those saying this oct test was super easy jumped the gun.

the LR was extremely tricky, i remember having so many coin flip answers. also, the stimulus seemed exceedingly long in general. LR was definitely harder than june 2010.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Lasers wrote:those saying this oct test was super easy jumped the gun.

the LR was extremely tricky, i remember having so many coin flip answers. also, the stimulus seemed exceedingly long in general. LR was definitely harder than june 2010.
Besides 1 or 2 pretty hard ones, there were def some that while I thought I was sure I got the right answer, would not be surprised at all if it wasnt. I dont see how anyone can say this test was easier than a -10.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Here's the thing. If I hadn't read the LRB, I wouldn't have wanted to go for that trick answer (if it was a trick answer, who knows). But if I hadn't read the LRB, I would have had no freaking clue how to approach that question, how to diagram, etc.

Even if I get that question wrong, though, I can at least comfort myself that I didn't fall for their stupid trick.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
Lasers wrote:those saying this oct test was super easy jumped the gun.

Besides 1 or 2 pretty hard ones, there were def some that while I thought I was sure I got the right answer, would not be surprised at all if it wasnt. I dont see how anyone can say this test was easier than a -10.
exactly. i feel the exact same way.

i would choose an answer with reasonable confidence, but i rarely had choices i thought were 100% correct, which i usually had with most of the PT's. i would not be surprised to see many of those choices ended up being wrong.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:03 pm

eit wrote:Here's the thing. If I hadn't read the LRB, I wouldn't have wanted to go for that trick answer (if it was a trick answer, who knows). But if I hadn't read the LRB, I would have had no freaking clue how to approach that question, how to diagram, etc.

Even if I get that question wrong, though, I can at least comfort myself that I didn't fall for their stupid trick.
Are you guys talking about the question that had a stock answer that seemed attractive because of its LRB language but didnt really address the stimulus exactly?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:08 pm

I always get about 45-50 and I think I did worse on PT61 than on almost any other. Even PT59 was just a -6 for me I believe, and this one was worse.

I also didn't fill in the bubble for one of the answers. I got cocky and assumed I would finish 2-5 minutes early like I always do, but I actually ran out of time on both sections, and the lack of 30 second warning meant I had no chance to fill out my test.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:12 pm

I honestly did not think that the LR was that hard, it seemed easier than the PT's.

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:14 pm

eit wrote:Here's the thing. If I hadn't read the LRB, I wouldn't have wanted to go for that trick answer (if it was a trick answer, who knows). But if I hadn't read the LRB, I would have had no freaking clue how to approach that question, how to diagram, etc.

Now I'm scared on this Rule of Law Question. I thought this is one I might have picked off which I would normally get wrong. I remember two answer choices sticking out with me. Almost went with one of them, then looked again and felt certain it was the other. I don't know though. Without getting into any specifics, this question reminded me of a similar one I got fooled by on a recent PT (won't mention that PT/question# for fear of banishment). But I used that knowledge from there (maybe wrongly) to answer what I thought it had to be. If I missed it, no big deal, because I'd chalk this one up to the brick house, EKG, car theft (read failure), and hiring question(wtf), that I would normally miss on a regular PT anyway.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:28 pm

This rule of law question, was it the one that had to do with good will or something?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:49 pm

I think I got the tricky ones right except for car thieves. I think LSAC is trying to make the sections harder so there are fewer 101 raw scores. I mean I'm really good at LR (usually -0 or -1) and I was challenged by some of these questions -- If I was as good at LG as I was at LR I'd be shooting for a 180. Look at PT60 and it was the same thing: the highest raw score was 99 (with one not scored). The LG were normal but time consuming which will overall lead to lower score for many people. On PT60 I got 174 because I usually miss a few LG anyway. I think PT61 will be a good test for people who typically do well on LG and don't do well on LR or RC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:51 pm

so glad to hear the info on rule of law. I kept looking at my diagrams thinking do I even need that one??? finally I think I picked the right answer. That extra piece also threw me off on what exactly the conclusion was.

Tainted_Praise

Bronze

Post by Tainted_Praise » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Yeah.... I thought the LR was super hard for some reason too. Usually I get like 40/50.... Maybe 43/50 on a good day. But I'm pretty sure that the first section of LR I had was experimental... Thank God. Because I had to get used to that annoying proctor walking around the room dragging her feet. Proctors are so annoying. I think they should just sit in the front of the classroom.... Is it seriously necessary to walk around dragging your feet?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:10 pm

dhrizek wrote:This rule of law question, was it the one that had to do with good will or something?
The "good life?" :)

Tainted_Praise

Bronze

Post by Tainted_Praise » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:11 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I think I got the tricky ones right except for car thieves. I think LSAC is trying to make the sections harder so there are fewer 101 raw scores. I mean I'm really good at LR (usually -0 or -1) and I was challenged by some of these questions -- If I was as good at LG as I was at LR I'd be shooting for a 180. Look at PT60 and it was the same thing: the highest raw score was 99 (with one not scored). The LG were normal but time consuming which will overall lead to lower score for many people. On PT60 I got 174 because I usually miss a few LG anyway. I think PT61 will be a good test for people who typically do well on LG and don't do well on LR or RC

I definitely agree with you on this.... I actually thought they were easy to normal..... But yeah. Time consuming.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kilgoretrout103

New

Post by kilgoretrout103 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:21 pm

I DEFINITELY think LSAC bucked the trend and pushed LR instead of LG on this test.

Since the infamous dinosaur game on June '09 (I think), LG has consistently been the hardest section on the test. But this time, the LG were relatively tame (only one true hybrid, and it wasn't even that complicated...), but many, many LR questions were incredibility difficult or completely original.

Off the top of my head, I can think of the the cooking "analogy" and the rule of law formal logic as questions that introduced completely new elements to logical reasoning. (The first one was a new question stem....I guess I would classify it as a Principle Application question. The second one had a completely unnecessary premise in the stimulus. I don't that's EVER happened before).

I can also think of the car paradox, the thermodynamic steel/electricity strenghten question, and the Shakespeare actor question as unusually difficult examples. I think they all appeared in the same section, even!

On the whole, this was a weird, weird test.

pdk

New

Post by pdk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Can anyone confirm whether or not the section starting with "right/ no right for biz owner to shut off the factory" the real section?

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:52 pm

pdk wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not the section starting with "right/ no right for biz owner to shut off the factory" the real section?
real

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:24 pm

this LR was had, but I can only imagine how much harder it would have been had I not done 20+ PTs and mastered the LRB.... i think a lot of ppl will miss a lot more on LR than usual.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”