LR WAS INSANE Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DearCan

Bronze

Re: LR WAS INSANE

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:32 am

tazmolover wrote:
DearCan wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:There were a LOT more traps than usual LR sections. I mean, noticeably more. And these arent just traps on the very hard LR, traps that im sure MANY people would fall for. Whether this translates into a harder LR it remains to be seen. With hard LR questions, people are always going to miss them. But with traps, they cause mistakes on otherwise easy problems....
The thing with the LSAT is that all our prep is telling us that the writers are trying to trick us and make very attractive answers the wrong answer. I felt with this test, that a lot of the traps were with making a lot of obvious answers the right answer, because of course we're going to assume "that's way too easy to be correct". At least that's the way I felt.
Also this LR had some of the hardest parallel reasoning questions I've seen.
Example? Obviously without giving too much information...

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:33 am

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:34 am

tazmolover wrote:Image
Haha, touche.

Are you maybe referencing brick houses in there?

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:38 am

DearCan wrote:
tazmolover wrote:Image
Haha, touche.

Are you maybe referencing brick houses in there?
Yup brick houses.

And one other one but the reason I found that hard was because I had no time lol.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:42 am

Nobody has been talking about the steel-manufacturing plant with the heat generators for a while. How do people feel about that one? I narrowed it down to 3 answers and was only able to eliminate 2 of those with the nit-pickiest of reasons.

Does anyone feel strongly about that one?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:43 am

Adjudicator wrote:Nobody has been talking about the steel-manufacturing plant with the heat generators for a while. How do people feel about that one? I narrowed it down to 3 answers and was only able to eliminate 2 of those with the nit-pickiest of reasons.

Ha, this one was tough, but I felt pretty confident about my answer. I felt there were a couple that were attractive but slightly outside the scope of the stimulus.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:46 am

Adjudicator wrote:Nobody has been talking about the steel-manufacturing plant with the heat generators for a while. How do people feel about that one? I narrowed it down to 3 answers and was only able to eliminate 2 of those with the nit-pickiest of reasons.

Really? Wasn't that in the first 10. That one was also very clear to me. Man...we were way different on this test. I didnt even remember the Brick Houses question until somebody mentioned Lawn and parallel reasoning in the same sentence with it. Did not give me pause what so ever. Now, the last parallel reasoning question in that section bent me over with a paddle...I liked NOTHING. I went with the one I disliked the least. Just goes to show you how some people differ so, so much in taking this exam!

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:47 am

AverageTutoring wrote:

Really? Wasn't that in the first 10. That one was also very clear to me. Man...we were way different on this test. I didnt even remember the Brick Houses question until somebody mentioned Lawn and parallel reasoning in the same sentence with it. Did not give me pause what so ever. Now, the last parallel reasoning question in that section bent me over with a paddle...I liked NOTHING. I went with the one I disliked the least. Just goes to show you how some people differ so, so much in taking this exam!
I don't remember that last parallel reasoning question at all. I hope that means it didn't give me problems...

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:48 am

Also...

Anyone else think this test had a ridiculously hard first question for a LR section?

It wasn't that hard overall but for the first question it seemed pretty weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:48 am

DearCan wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:

I don't remember that last parallel reasoning question at all. I hope that means it didn't give me problems...
But you remember the brick houses! HA :mrgreen:

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:52 am

AverageTutoring wrote:
DearCan wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:

But you remember the brick houses! HA :mrgreen:
Haha, I only remember it because someone else mentioned it. FWIW I'm 95% sure I got this one right. I'm sure if someone mentioned a part of the stimulus in the parallel reasoning question you speak of, I would probably remember it too.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:53 am

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:54 am

DearCan wrote:Haha, I only remember it because someone else mentioned it. FWIW I'm 95% sure I got this one right. I'm sure if someone mentioned a part of the stimulus in the parallel reasoning question you speak of, I would probably remember it too.
Might that be the one about nations who make a commitment to education having strong economies?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:54 am

WhirledWorld wrote:
tazmolover wrote:Also...

Anyone else think this test had a ridiculously hard first question for a LR section?

It wasn't that hard overall but for the first question it seemed pretty weird.
Yes. I got it, but I'm used to hitting the ground running, and the first one on one of the LR's gave me pause.

I apparently am an outlier, because I thought the LR's were some of the easiest I had ever done. I found games hardest, but in retrospect, I think they were pretty straightforward. Although I'm still unsure about the steel mill/electricity question.
I'm with you on LR and LG.

spaghetticat

New

Post by spaghetticat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:07 am

sidhesadie wrote:I thought LG SUCKED so I'm just hoping the difficulty with LR for others gives a nice curve!! ;) wouldn't be shocked if I missed over half of that section. Or all of it. Bleh. ugh.
i'm with you. i don't know what my problem is but i'm certifiably retarded at these, and LG is supposedly the most learnable section of the test, according to tls anyway.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38 am

I found LR to be pretty rough as well, especially when it comes to the ordering of the questions. I pretty much always get to #10 in 10 min but on both of these (more so on the 26 question section) I was well behind that. I also found that on the 26 question section the first ten were a lot more dense than I was used to, and I don't think they had a single assumption question (a few of which I usually count on knocking out in <30 seconds in the first 10).

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:00 am

Parallel reason were difficult, I agree, but nothing that alittle process of elimination could not narrow down to a single answer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:23 am

WhirledWorld wrote:
I apparently am an outlier, because I thought the LR's were some of the easiest I had ever done. I found games hardest, but in retrospect, I think they were pretty straightforward. Although I'm still unsure about the steel mill/electricity question.

Agreed.

kilgoretrout103

New

Post by kilgoretrout103 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:I found LR to be pretty rough as well, especially when it comes to the ordering of the questions. I pretty much always get to #10 in 10 min but on both of these (more so on the 26 question section) I was well behind that. I also found that on the 26 question section the first ten were a lot more dense than I was used to, and I don't think they had a single assumption question (a few of which I usually count on knocking out in <30 seconds in the first 10).
qft.

There were at least two in the first ten I had to skip. That NEVER happens to me. This was the LR section from hell.

nireca

New

Post by nireca » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:51 pm

i read LSAT super prep night before the test and reviewed it in the morning before I went in and I gotta say that helped a lot with the LR. Saw the Rule of Law Q coming from a mile away (they explicitly said to watch out for this trick in the assumption section) and I knew very precisely what my task was for each Q type. maybe LSAC is reacting against test prep companies but if you knew how the Qs work, then i think this section was pretty straightforward.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”