LR WAS INSANE

rsd16

LR WAS INSANE

Postby rsd16 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:02 am

I took a bunch of PTs and it seemed all of them had 1, at most 2, absolute LR stumpers. I consistently was getting 42/50 right on LR. Oct. 2010 however, was insane for me. The car question (I couldn't find ONE single answer that made sense), the brick question, the heat in the factory question, and like 2 or 3 more I can't remember because I honestly might have blacked out. The RC and LG were pretty straightforward though.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Adjudicator

Re: LR WAS INSANE

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:05 am

rsd16 wrote:I took a bunch of PTs and it seemed all of them had 1, at most 2, absolute LR stumpers. I consistently was getting 42/50 right on LR. Oct. 2010 however, was insane for me. The car question (I couldn't find ONE single answer that made sense), the brick question, the heat in the factory question, and like 2 or 3 more I can't remember because I honestly might have blacked out. The RC and LG were pretty straightforward though.

Anyone else feel the same way?

:) I had trouble with those same ones you mentioned; well, the car one stumped me at first, but after reading it about four times, I realized that one answer was obviously correct and the rest were nonsensical.

As for the heat in the factory, and the brick question, I am maybe 60-75% sure that I got each of those. Which is obviously not a lot of certainty.

There were others, too... the very last question on my last section, a parallel flaw question about education and the economy, or something, and none of the answers made any sense to me whatsoever.

balzern

Postby balzern » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:45 am

Yeah I thought the LR was difficult too. I usually get about what you get on PTs 40-45 of 50. This one I am nervous about for some reason. I just felt that there weren't that many "obvious" questions where immediately you anticipate and then see the right answer...

rso11

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 am

I agree. And I had LR as my first section - I def think nerves were part of it. Ugh.

balzern

Postby balzern » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:48 am

Yeah I had LR 1st and 4th and timing was an issue with me. I didn't get to the last 2 questions of both sections...

marsilni

Postby marsilni » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:04 am

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the strangers question that was part of the 2nd LR section (w/ 26 questions). It came toward the end, maybe #24 or 23? It was a flaw question; perhaps many people ran out of time and didn't get a chance to answer it. I spent a minute on it and then skipped ahead and finished the final questions in the section. I spent the last five minutes going over it and finally used process of elimination to arrive at my answer. It had to do with being comfortable with approaching a stranger approximately the same age as you. Odd question.

Also, is it just me, or did the rule of law stimulus contain an extra bit of info that wasn't required to answer the question? Just in there to throw us off?

balzern

Postby balzern » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:07 am

I don't remember what question specifically but I do remember being with wtf why is the garbage in the stimulus - perhaps it was that question.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:09 am

marsilni wrote:Also, is it just me, or did the rule of law stimulus contain an extra bit of info that wasn't required to answer the question? Just in there to throw us off?

Yes it did. I re-read it like three times and nearly yelled out "you tricky buttholes!". But once you realized it the question was pretty easy.

Er6297

Postby Er6297 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:17 am

WHattt? I thought LR was the easiest part of the test

RC was a little bit of a bitch

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 am

JoeShmoe11 wrote:Yes it did. I re-read it like three times and nearly yelled out "you tricky buttholes!".

lol that would have been priceless

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 am

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
marsilni wrote:Also, is it just me, or did the rule of law stimulus contain an extra bit of info that wasn't required to answer the question? Just in there to throw us off?

Yes it did. I re-read it like three times and nearly yelled out "you tricky buttholes!". But once you realized it the question was pretty easy.

Can someone PM me more about what this question was.

grover23

Postby grover23 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:24 am

JoeShmoe11 wrote:

ya i got that too - that it gave us an extra sentence

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:31 am

I'm not sure I remember a question about brick houses or heat in a factory. Can anyone elaborate on those? If you don't want to discuss LSAT questions, you might just say something about a question someone had in discussion recently. PM would also be fine. Thanks.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:32 am

Was the rule of law a parallel reasoning question? If so, I think I know which one it was. I suck at them in general.

Perch

Postby Perch » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:34 am

marsilni wrote:I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the strangers question that was part of the 2nd LR section (w/ 26 questions). It came toward the end, maybe #24 or 23? It was a flaw question; perhaps many people ran out of time and didn't get a chance to answer it. I spent a minute on it and then skipped ahead and finished the final questions in the section. I spent the last five minutes going over it and finally used process of elimination to arrive at my answer. It had to do with being comfortable with approaching a stranger approximately the same age as you. Odd question.

Also, is it just me, or did the rule of law stimulus contain an extra bit of info that wasn't required to answer the question? Just in there to throw us off?

+1. stranger danger!

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:35 am

IBThatGuy wrote:I'm not sure I remember a question about brick houses or heat in a factory. Can anyone elaborate on those? If you don't want to discuss LSAT questions, you might just say something about a question someone had in discussion recently. PM would also be fine. Thanks.

The heat in a factory one had to do with some weird generators and converting waste. The brick houses was about houses on a street, brick, 2 stories... Ringing any bells?

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:37 am

IBThatGuy wrote:I'm not sure I remember a question about brick houses or heat in a factory. Can anyone elaborate on those? If you don't want to discuss LSAT questions, you might just say something about a question someone had in discussion recently. PM would also be fine. Thanks.

All this talk of Brick Houses?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU

Now I can't get this out of my head. Thanks alot.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 am

JoeShmoe11 wrote:

I feel taken advantage of by that question.

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:55 am

Was it just me, or were there a lot more flaw and principle questions that usual? I saw way less assumption questions than I expected.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:08 pm

grover23 wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:

Oh thank God. Now I feel better about my answer. I just stared at it for like 2-3 minutes and was trying to connect all of the information, and then realized that some information was simply irrelevant.

::wipes brow::

The strangers question was both stupid and confusing. I hated it

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:12 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
grover23 wrote:
JoeShmoe11 wrote:

Oh thank God. Now I feel better about my answer. I just stared at it for like 2-3 minutes and was trying to connect all of the information, and then realized that some information was simply irrelevant.

::wipes brow::

The strangers question was both stupid and confusing. I hated it

Could you kindly elaborate the rule of law question a little bit more, please?

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:20 pm

strangers sucked!

skers

Postby skers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm secretly (and selfishly) hoping that significant difficulties with LR are widely representative as that may push the curve up. I thought this was the easiest two sections of LR I've taken. Or maybe Odwalla Superfood has logical boosting powers. There were questions that were a little tricky, but the right answer really seemed to jump off the page on every question.

Steel-heat had some tricky wrong answers, but there was definitely a clear right one. Same with rule of law and hiring. IMO, toughest was Brick house, but there seemed to be only one answer that was parallel qualitatively, at least that I saw.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:22 pm

LR had a lot of questions that I think were formatted very differently, had never seen anything like them. I really think that its going ot end up being an overall hard lr.

I felt that I did well though

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:23 pm

I had essentially the same experience as you Temporary Saint. and am hoping for the same effect on the curve

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”