Average score increase on LSAT

ezzier
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:56 am

Average score increase on LSAT

Postby ezzier » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:06 am

Hi, I am curios how many points people usually go up after studying for the LSAT?

People who scored 160 or better please help me out and post your scores and techniques

1) Post diagnostic
2) Post final score
3) Please give reasons for increase or decrease in score

I started with a diagnostic of 157 and am curios if it is possible with a lot of hard studying to break a 170 or more.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:09 am

It is possible. This test is learnable.

User avatar
JoeShmoe11
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:20 am

ezzier wrote:Hi, I am curios how many points people usually go up after studying for the LSAT?

People who scored 160 or better please help me out and post your scores and techniques

1) Post diagnostic
2) Post final score
3) Please give reasons for increase or decrease in score

I started with a diagnostic of 157 and am curios if it is possible with a lot of hard studying to break a 170 or more.


Definitely doable. Just think - you're starting off doing better than 71.6% of people! You've obviously got a knack for the material!
Last edited by JoeShmoe11 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
whitefeather2011
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby whitefeather2011 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:21 am

10-20 point increase definitely possible.
From my stone cold first diagnostic to my final (so far) I increased 12ish points. I think that this next set of results will even increase that number.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:22 am

ezzier wrote:Hi, I am curios how many points people usually go up after studying for the LSAT?

People who scored 160 or better please help me out and post your scores and techniques

1) Post diagnostic
2) Post final score
3) Please give reasons for increase or decrease in score

I started with a diagnostic of 157 and am curios if it is possible with a lot of hard studying to break a 170 or more.


Similar starting point, broke 170, study study study.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 am

Depends on why you scored low the first time. But definitely possible if you learn how to learn the test. Fwiw, I went up 18 points :-)

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby typ3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:38 am

I think a 10 point increase is what should be expected with a lot of study.

Many people don't make this goal, some people increase more than 10 points. The average person on this site starts in the 50's, many in the low 160's. Reasonably, I think the average person can score a 160. If you're slightly more intelligent a 165. If you didn't start in the high 150's or higher, I wouldn't bet your house on banging out a 170+ Not that it can't be done, but statistically it's highly unlikely to make a 15+ jump from the mid/low 150s.

Like Kevin Garnett once eloquently said, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 am

typ3 wrote:I think a 10 point increase is what should be expected with a lot of study.

Many people don't make this goal, some people increase more than 10 points. The average person on this site starts in the 50's, many in the low 160's. Reasonably, I think the average person can score a 160. If you're slightly more intelligent a 165. If you didn't start in the high 150's or higher, I wouldn't bet your house on banging out a 170+ Not that it can't be done, but statistically it's highly unlikely to make a 15+ jump from the mid/low 150s.

Like Kevin Garnett once eloquently said, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!


Again, it depends why you scored low the first time. If you're just slow but accurate, and didn't finish a bunch of sections, then you can probably increase quite dramatically. If you are logically challenged, the odds are less in your favor without some serious studying and a few epiphany moments.

ezzier
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby ezzier » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:47 am

I think my problem is rushing the test which translates into lack of attention to detail. I'm sure I am not logically challenged. I rush through the test with at least 5 minutes to spare in each section but i have to learn how to be more calm and relaxed.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby bigben » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:49 am

Diag: 158
Final: 177
Five weeks of studying.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby bigben » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:50 am

ezzier wrote:I think my problem is rushing the test which translates into lack of attention to detail. I'm sure I am not logically challenged. I rush through the test with at least 5 minutes to spare in each section but i have to learn how to be more calm and relaxed.

Accuracy now (total accuracy). Speed later.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:52 am

bigben wrote:
ezzier wrote:I think my problem is rushing the test which translates into lack of attention to detail. I'm sure I am not logically challenged. I rush through the test with at least 5 minutes to spare in each section but i have to learn how to be more calm and relaxed.

Accuracy now (total accuracy). Speed later.

^This

ezzier
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby ezzier » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 am

How much time should i give myself on each section to start?

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 am

ezzier wrote:How much time should i give myself on each section to start?

Don't time to start.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:54 am

159 cold diagnostic ---> 177 on real thing

Reasons: I studied hard (powerscore class + bibles + insane amount of PTs).

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby bigben » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 am

ezzier wrote:How much time should i give myself on each section to start?

I would just give the normal time and leave blank the ones you don't get to. (Though you should go over them for practice afterward).

applecore
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:02 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby applecore » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:57 am

Diagnostic: 159
First test: 162 (nerves)
Second test: 176

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:58 am

bigben wrote:
ezzier wrote:How much time should i give myself on each section to start?

I would just give the normal time and leave blank the ones you don't get to. (Though you should go over them for practice afterward).


I think you should finish the sections, regardless of time. This will give you a better feel of question difficulty distribution.

Even when I was timing my sections (unless I was taking a full length test), I would continue past the 35 min mark, making a note of where I hit 35 and when I finished.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:25 am

My diagnostic was 162, with the test administered by Princeton Review, and I only got like 7 logic games correct.

Now, though, I'm worried about getting 168 because of missing 4 or 5 on LG.

Someone please help me with the math?

The point is, that studying for the LSAT is a matter of diminishing returns. It's much easier to get from 158 to 165 then it is to get from 165 to 172.

So, yes, 157-170s is possible, but difficult.

However, I'm also retarded when it comes to logic games, so that's always going to put a lid on my score. Others might see more of an increase.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:45 pm

niederbomb wrote:My diagnostic was 162, with the test administered by Princeton Review, and I only got like 7 logic games correct.

Now, though, I'm worried about getting 168 because of missing 4 or 5 on LG.

Someone please help me with the math?

The point is, that studying for the LSAT is a matter of diminishing returns. It's much easier to get from 158 to 165 then it is to get from 165 to 172.

So, yes, 157-170s is possible, but difficult.

However, I'm also retarded when it comes to logic games, so that's always going to put a lid on my score. Others might see more of an increase.


LG were the hardest for me too at first, and I didn't believe it when people said that they were the easiest to master. They were right. By test day LG were the fun part of the test. But that's just me I guess....

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:51 pm

ezzier wrote:Hi, I am curios how many points people usually go up after studying for the LSAT?

People who scored 160 or better please help me out and post your scores and techniques

1) Post diagnostic
2) Post final score
3) Please give reasons for increase or decrease in score

I started with a diagnostic of 157 and am curios if it is possible with a lot of hard studying to break a 170 or more.

100% possible. I had the same diagnostic score back in June, and on my last PT I got a 174. Now, hopefully that translates well to yesterday's test, but Im feeling good. You can definitely learn the test and improve your score tremendously.

I say just focus on what you are getting wrong and build on what you already know. If you got a 157, you obviously have some natural skill, and as long as you study hard and study consistently, you can definitely break 170

User avatar
achilles
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby achilles » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:01 pm

i got a 150 on my diagnostic in july (only finished half of RC and LG, and maybe 3/4 of LR) and scored 174-176 on my last 7 PTs. So it's definitely possible to improve significantly! I took a class that helped a lot with understanding formal logic. also did 10 PTs after the class was over

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:03 pm

its definately possible. look at your diagnostic score, and see what sections gave you the most trouble. If its logic games, then increasing you score by 10 or more points is significantly easier ( in less time) than if its RC or LR. Focus on your weakest area first, but dont forget about RC and LR either. the LRB and LGB are highly reccommended on this site, and even RCB might be something to think about. go through each chapter of the books thoroughly, and take notes ( to review nightly). Start with untimed sections, and question types for drilling purposes, then slowly start timing yourself. Also, its a good idea to be able to do back to back RC sections without a break inbetween. I had back to back RC on the real deal yesterday, and if i didnt practice being able to handle this section during prep, it would have negatively impacted my confidence for the rest of the test.

if you put 2-3 hours of dedicated study, with no distractions a day, 6 days a week you will see you score increase, and your confidence about destroying this test also increase. If you want to borrow a study schedule, there are plenty of good ones on this site ( use the search feature). pick one that works best for you

good luck, and remember taht this site does have a lot of good information. People on here tend to score in the higer end of the test, so dont let that discourage you ( in the beginning of prep, its normal to see your first test scores stay around the same as your diagnostic, or even dip below it by as much as 10 points- it will get better)

hamsamitchguy03
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 pm

ed ited
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolboundfuture
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:34 pm

My diagnostic was a 160
My lsat was a 173.

I studied my ass off my three months to bring it. Took the powerscore virtual course. Took like 12 practice tests. Did tons of practice sections. It is definitely a learnable test. Feel free to message me if you need any more details or advice.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hikikomorist, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests