took testmasters for OCT LSAT but...

DoctorLaw

took testmasters for OCT LSAT but...

Postby DoctorLaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:51 am

So i Took TestMasters for the October Lsat, i did see a 10 point increase through my pretests... but Now I am registered for the december one to take it again but don't want to spend $ on a class any good books out there people have used that saw great results?

I heard Powerscore bibles are always a plus, please provide any info..

2011Law

Re: took testmasters for OCT LSAT but...

Postby 2011Law » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:10 am

IMO, LG Bible is a must, LR is at least somewhat helpful, and only read Nova's Master section for RC. The most important thing to do, for me at least, is to just take as many PTs as you can (I'll have done 30 by the Dec test). After every PT go over the ones you got wrong or that you had trouble with (might want to circle those), and make sure you understand why you got the answer wrong/got held up, ON TOP OF knowing why the right answer is right. I've seen my PTs increasing in all areas (especially LG) by doing just this. I can somewhat comfortably pay for the prep courses, but my guess is that they will not teach you anything you can't figure out on your own and they will not get you to the best score you can get. Save your money, buy some booze.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:13 am

DoctorLaw wrote:So i Took TestMasters for the October Lsat, i did see a 10 point increase through my pretests... but Now I am registered for the december one to take it again but don't want to spend $ on a class any good books out there people have used that saw great results?

Was your 10 point scoring range increase not enough to get your index stats comfortably into the median range of accepted students at the Law Schools you want to apply to?

From your post I'm not sure what your question is. Since you took a course and improved 10 points on your practice tests, without knowing where in the 120-180 range that puts you and where you are typically losing points it is difficult to give you advice. Consistently scoring that much higher than where you started typically indicates that you have been instructed about and learned the major important basics/ins and outs of the LSAT in terms of the stuff about section types, question types, game types, major repeating concepts, techniques and strategies to use, etc.

Are you looking for a big refresher/overview of everything again starting with the basics or are you trying to fine tune and advance further with the more difficult issues to boost your score more from whatever your current range is?

You need to give more detailed info to get more detailed advice/opinions.
Last edited by Jeffort on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorLaw

Postby DoctorLaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:14 am

2011Law wrote:IMO, LG Bible is a must, LR is at least somewhat helpful, and only read Nova's Master section for RC. The most important thing to do, for me at least, is to just take as many PTs as you can (I'll have done 30 by the Dec test). After every PT go over the ones you got wrong or that you had trouble with (might want to circle those), and make sure you understand why you got the answer wrong/got held up, ON TOP OF knowing why the right answer is right. I've seen my PTs increasing in all areas (especially LG) by doing just this. I can somewhat comfortably pay for the prep courses, but my guess is that they will not teach you anything you can't figure out on your own and they will not get you to the best score you can get. Save your money, buy some booze.

thanks dude, I have the LR Bible, My worse section has to be RC... I need major improvement in that I am looking for the book you suggested

DoctorLaw

Postby DoctorLaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:19 am

Jeffort wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:So i Took TestMasters for the October Lsat, i did see a 10 point increase through my pretests... but Now I am registered for the december one to take it again but don't want to spend $ on a class any good books out there people have used that saw great results?

Was your 10 point scoring range increase not enough to get your index stats comfortably into the median range of accepted students at the Law Schools you want to apply to?

From your post I'm not sure what your question is. Since you took a course and improved 10 points on your practice tests, without knowing where in the 120-180 range that puts you it is difficult to give you advice. Consistently scoring that much higher than where you started typically indicates that you have been instructed about and learned the major important basics/ins and outs of the LSAT in terms of the stuff about section types, question types, game types, major repeating concepts, techniques and strategies to use, etc.

Are you looking for a big refresher/overview of everything again starting with the basics or are you trying to fine tune and advance further with the more difficult issues to boost your score more from whatever your current range is?

You need to give more detailed info to get more detailed advice/opinions.

Well my score fluctuated but I saw as a whole I went up 10 points and I am still below average in the low 150s.. I want to atleast break 150 because I would be happy getting into a decent law school which is easy on the pocket aswell.

I saw my improvments in LG more then in LR and worse section still upto today is RC. I always run out of time for those 4 passages and today I also ran out of time for the last passage... Any good books you may suggest that gives me the basics of RC... I already have LR Bible aswell will hit the books starting tomo for the DEC LSAT..

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 am

DoctorLaw wrote:thanks dude, I have the LR Bible, My worse section has to be RC... I need major improvement in that I am looking for the book you suggested

Nova's Master the LSAT... I don't think it really helped me at all, I only read that one section b/c I thought it might be good to read something on RC and the Nova book was in my library. If I was going to get something to help me with RC though it would probably be powerscore, just b/c they did such an awesome job with LG and LR. Seems to be that RC is everyones hardest section to improve on, which is just as true for me, so all I can say that I haven't already said is good luck.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:23 am

Based on your scoring range I suggest that you slow down in terms of how much time you spend when trying to solve questions as you work through test materials. Forget about timing and don't get sucked into doing the 'churn and burn' doing lots of timed PT's thing until you make progress flushing out and working out the issues that are causing you to select incorrect answer choices on problems you attempt.

In the low 150's you are selecting many incorrect answer choices which indicates that you don't have a firm enough grasp/understanding of the commonly tested areas of logic, recurring methods and flawed methods of reasoning, etc. staple to each and every LSAT.

Read the prep books (the good ones, the PS Bibles are the best affordable LSAT prep books available that I've seen) carefully and work through the practice problems dilligently, then review how things went each step of the way to instill the concepts and techniques into your mind more firmly, figure out what went wrong/you messed up each step of the way to guide your focus with which concepts/things you need to work on more, then lather rinse repeat.

DoctorLaw

Postby DoctorLaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Jeffort wrote:Based on your scoring range I suggest that you slow down in terms of how much time you spend when trying to solve questions as you work through test materials. Forget about timing and don't get sucked into doing the 'churn and burn' doing lots of timed PT's thing until you make progress flushing out and working out the issues that are causing you to select incorrect answer choices on problems you attempt.

In the low 150's you are selecting many incorrect answer choices which indicates that you don't have a firm enough grasp/understanding of the commonly tested areas of logic, recurring methods and flawed methods of reasoning, etc. staple to each and every LSAT.

Read the prep books (the good ones, the PS Bibles are the best affordable LSAT prep books available that I've seen) carefully and work through the practice problems dilligently, then review how things went each step of the way to instill the concepts and techniques into your mind more firmly, figure out what went wrong/you messed up each step of the way to guide your focus with which concepts/things you need to work on more, then lather rinse repeat.

thanks dude

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”