First time (took Oct LSAT) cancellation or keep the score?

DoctorLaw

First time (took Oct LSAT) cancellation or keep the score?

Postby DoctorLaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:38 am

So Today I made my mind of taking the LSAT after two-three months of studying through testmasters... All i have is one question what you guys would say about cancelling the score or keeping the score as to it is my first test.

I have read numerous postings that say if you dont feel comfortable after the test you should cancel, I dont want to risk it because often sometimes you think you didnt do well and end up doing welll.. so, I have 6 day bracket to cancel the score and already registered for DEC LSAT to prepare another two months for.

If anyone has a similar situation as me please feel free to share their experience; how one low score and one high score reflect your record. Because after today I dont want to repeat this test ever again!!!

The Gentleman

Re: First time (took Oct LSAT) cancellation or keep the score?

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:15 am

This depends on two things. First, how did this test feel compared to your PTs? If you know that you seriously bombed a section, (ie you normally finish on time but had to blind guess on the last 5 today) then you may want to consider a cancellation. But if you're simply uncomfortable with your performance, then welcome to the club. Second, what range of law schools are you realistically considering? Virtually all law schools outside of HYS will consider only your best score. So having multiple scores on your record is very unlikely to negatively impact your chances at most schools.

HTH

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:20 am

The Gentleman wrote:This depends on two things. First, how did this test feel compared to your PTs? If you know that you seriously bombed a section, (ie you normally finish on time but had to blind guess on the last 5 today) then you may want to consider a cancellation. But if you're simply uncomfortable with your performance, then welcome to the club. Second, what range of law schools are you realistically considering? Virtually all law schools outside of HYS will consider only your best score. So having multiple scores on your record is very unlikely to negatively impact your chances at most schools.

HTH

This is what I'm wondering. I know I BOMBED one section. Blind guessed 3, very rushed 2-3 questions. So it's close to blind guessing 5.

But I felt REALLY strong on the other real LR section, the RC section, and fairly strong on the LG section.

I feel like I scored within 160-165 unless my blind guesses landed the right way then maybe I scored between a 167-168.

I have a 3.7x GPA and I want to aim at Cornell. I have no dreams of going to HYS and hold maybe a small but faint hope at CCN. Realistically I know with my PT scores of 167-170, Cornell is my best shot at a T14.

Cornell says they take the higher score if it's 3 points higher. Other schools in lower t14 and t25 seem to have similar policies.

Do you advise a cancel? Or just let it sit.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 am

tazmolover wrote:Do you advise a cancel? Or just let it sit.

lol I'm not really qualified to advise you there. But sleeping on it can't hurt eh?

DoctorLaw

Postby DoctorLaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:30 am

The Gentleman wrote:This depends on two things. First, how did this test feel compared to your PTs? If you know that you seriously bombed a section, (ie you normally finish on time but had to blind guess on the last 5 today) then you may want to consider a cancellation. But if you're simply uncomfortable with your performance, then welcome to the club. Second, what range of law schools are you realistically considering? Virtually all law schools outside of HYS will consider only your best score. So having multiple scores on your record is very unlikely to negatively impact your chances at most schools.

HTH

My schools are NYL, Cardozo, Brooklyn, Fordham, St Johns and/or Albany.... mixed criteria but all I have talked to said they take the highest score....

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:32 am

The Gentleman wrote:
tazmolover wrote:Do you advise a cancel? Or just let it sit.

lol I'm not really qualified to advise you there. But sleeping on it can't hurt eh?

What I'm wondering is...

If the schools I'm applying to say they take the higher score...

What's the harm in letting the score sit?

I know I'll do better next time?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:39 am

After the June test I was convinced I had bombed a section (LG) and that my score would suffer as a result. I strongly considered canceling, but eventually decided to let the results stand. My score ended up being far better than what I had imagined; I hit my PT average on the nose.

Moral of the story: don't cancel unless you have a really, really good reason for throwing out your score- particularly if you're not going to be looking at the T6.

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 am

beachbum wrote:After the June test I was convinced I had bombed a section (LG) and that my score would suffer as a result. I strongly considered canceling, but eventually decided to let the results stand. My score ended up being far better than what I had imagined; I hit my PT average on the nose.

Moral of the story: don't cancel unless you have a really, really good reason for throwing out your score- particularly if you're not going to be looking at the T6.

So considering my post above - your advice?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:46 am

tazmolover wrote:
beachbum wrote:After the June test I was convinced I had bombed a section (LG) and that my score would suffer as a result. I strongly considered canceling, but eventually decided to let the results stand. My score ended up being far better than what I had imagined; I hit my PT average on the nose.

So considering my post above - your advice?

Assuming you had adequate prep, I'd keep it.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:52 am

DoctorLaw wrote:My schools are NYL, Cardozo, Brooklyn, Fordham, St Johns and/or Albany.... mixed criteria but all I have talked to said they take the highest score....

For the record, the consensus among TLS is that among the schools you listed only Fordham is a school that you should actually consider attending.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:58 am

St.Remy wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:My schools are NYL, Cardozo, Brooklyn, Fordham, St Johns and/or Albany.... mixed criteria but all I have talked to said they take the highest score....

For the record, the consensus among TLS is that among the schools you listed only Fordham is a school that you should actually consider attending.

Maybe he doesn't care about the TLS consensus?

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:03 am

voltage88 wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

Which is why I said "for the record."

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:25 am

St.Remy wrote:
voltage88 wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

Which is why I said "for the record."

Still irrelevant.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:28 am

voltage88 wrote:Still irrelevant.

Not really. There's pretty solid reasoning behind that consensus.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:30 am

The argument, in this context, is irrelevant.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:39 am

voltage88 wrote:The argument, in this context, is irrelevant.

OP is talking about whether he/she should keep or cancel a score in regards to a certain list of schools. If the list of schools that he/she has mapped out for him or herself is a bad one this would be an opportunity to inform him or her of this. Thus the OP could reassess the schools that are a target, which would in turn effect if the October score was kept or canceled.

I understand that this point does not address the OPs narrow primary question. What you have to understand Voltage is that oftentimes there is other relevant information to consider. Try not to come off as such a jerk in the future.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 am

St.Remy wrote:
voltage88 wrote:The argument, in this context, is irrelevant.

OP is talking about whether he/she should keep or cancel a score in regards to a certain list of schools. If the list of schools that he/she has mapped out for him or herself is a bad one this would be an opportunity to inform him or her of this. Thus the OP could reassess the schools that are a target, which would in turn effect if the October score was kept or canceled.

I understand that this point does not address the OPs narrow primary question. What you have to understand Voltage is that oftentimes there is other relevant information to consider. Try not to come off as such a jerk in the future.

No, it isn't. You're assuming the OP has done absolutely no research and is ill-informed regarding the schools at-hand. The OP never asked your opinion. As for the jerk thing, I'll conveniently ignore your useless advice :D

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:16 am

voltage88 wrote:No, it isn't. You're assuming the OP has done absolutely no research and is ill-informed regarding the schools at-hand. The OP never asked your opinion. As for the jerk thing, I'll conveniently ignore your useless advice :D

I don't have to assume that OP has done no research or is ill-informed: he included NYL in his school list, which tells me that definitively. Obviously voltage you are either an idiot (based on your comments), a flame (based on your post count), or both. Regardless this is the last time I'm responding to one of your wasted uses of thread space.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:28 am

St.Remy wrote:
voltage88 wrote:No, it isn't. You're assuming the OP has done absolutely no research and is ill-informed regarding the schools at-hand. The OP never asked your opinion. As for the jerk thing, I'll conveniently ignore your useless advice :D

I don't have to assume that OP has done no research or is ill-informed: he included NYL in his school list, which tells me that definitively. Obviously voltage you are either an idiot (based on your comments), a flame (based on your post count), or both. Regardless this is the last time I'm responding to one of your wasted uses of thread space.

sorry, not all of us were born on TLS. :roll: I don't even know what a flame is. Good for you though. I'm sure being a junkie on here is a good resume builder. Good work.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:19 am

sleep on it for a few days ( wait unitl tuesday to make a decision) Honestly, contact cornell and the other schools and talk to them. they will give you the best advice as to what to do. Id say keep the score. if you're not happy take it in december, and prep from october 24th until then ( give yourself 2 weeks off from lsat prep to keep your mnind fresh)

DoctorLaw

Postby DoctorLaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:41 pm

St.Remy wrote:

what is the TLS consensus? and where to find such

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 pm

DoctorLaw wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

what is the TLS consensus? and where to find such

http://www.top-law-schools.com/choosing ... in-ny.html

DoctorLaw

Postby DoctorLaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:56 pm

makes me even more motivated to go in BEASTMODE for DEC LSAT

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”