Dec 2010 exam harder?

aa1207

Dec 2010 exam harder?

Postby aa1207 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the Dec 2010 exam will be harder than this? the games on Oct were fairly easy, does that mean theyll put harder ones on dec? Im worried bc im cancelling my score today (messed up badly on timing with RC, missed a few more than usual on LG bc of time, and unsure about LR) and Dec is my only chance if im planning to go to school next year.
i plan on studying with different books for the next 2 months and trying to see different things i can do

JoeShmoe11

Re: Dec 2010 exam harder?

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:00 pm

aa1207 wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the Dec 2010 exam will be harder than this? the games on Oct were fairly easy, does that mean theyll put harder ones on dec? Im worried bc im cancelling my score today (messed up badly on timing with RC, missed a few more than usual on LG bc of time, and unsure about LR) and Dec is my only chance if im planning to go to school next year.
i plan on studying with different books for the next 2 months and trying to see different things i can do

There was a website I found awhile back that compared the average curve for tests in June, October, December, and February (here:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/ea ... -june.html). The June test has, on average, the hardest curve. October is slightly easier than June (on average 0.25 easier than June) and December is MUCH easier than the other two (a whole point difference on average). So December will, based on historical evidence, have an easier curve.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:02 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
aa1207 wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the Dec 2010 exam will be harder than this? the games on Oct were fairly easy, does that mean theyll put harder ones on dec? Im worried bc im cancelling my score today (messed up badly on timing with RC, missed a few more than usual on LG bc of time, and unsure about LR) and Dec is my only chance if im planning to go to school next year.

There was a website I found awhile back that compared the average curve for tests in June, October, December, and February (here:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/ea ... -june.html). The June test has, on average, the hardest curve. October is slightly easier than June (on average 0.25 easier than June) and December is MUCH easier than the other two (a whole point difference on average). So December will, based on historical evidence, have an easier curve.

Of course, easier curve might mean a harder test. Or it might not... I really don't understand how they determine the curve.

aa1207

Postby aa1207 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:23 pm

i agree..not sure what that means about the test...i dont know if its reasonable to say this trend will continue..if that was the case, there would be far more testtakers in dec than oct..

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:25 pm

People who take the test early apply earlier, so it seems to be that hte most motivated students will take it in June and October, and the ones who put it off to December would tend to underperform.

Then again, LSAC say that they do the curve on a 3-year average.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:29 pm

the october test was harder than the june 2010 test, imo.

dunno where this "easy" label comes from. i think maybe cause the games were easier this test?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:32 pm

It really depends what you are good at. Easy LG = good score for me. At the same time the scale is supposed to make all the tests relatively equal in difficulty. It really depends what sections you are good at and, if LG are your weak point, what kind of games there are on the LG section.

I agree that this test was harder than June

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:44 pm

AreJay711 wrote:It really depends what you are good at. Easy LG = good score for me. At the same time the scale is supposed to make all the tests relatively equal in difficulty. It really depends what sections you are good at and, if LG are your weak point, what kind of games there are on the LG section.

I agree that this test was harder than June

LG is usually my weakpoint, though before the test i was improving most in LG and falling behind in RC while LR stayed static.

but in the october test, i thought the LG were pretty easy except for the last game (which wasn't even that bad if not for time), and RC wasn't so bad (i think). i have a feeling LR will determine my score 'cause a lot of the choices were like coin flips. the LR felt more difficult than the june 2010 test for some reason.

i'm hoping for a -12 curve like the june test had.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”