December LSAT

sjlawand88

December LSAT

Postby sjlawand88 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:47 pm

All,

I just took the October test and I am not that optimistic about the score. I am aiming for 160. I think I have a 50/50 chance based on my impression after taking today's test. I am registered for the December test.

My problem: RC is killing my grades. I have never missed less than 10 (sometimes up to 17 wrong) on RC. I have tried to solve this problem by reading at least 2-3 hours a day- AbaJournal, Economist, etc.... As far as LR goes, all my mistakes are careless. The time pressure compels me to make careless mistakes.

I am an expert at games (-3 max). I am consistently missing between 5-10 on each LR section. Thus, scoring between 154-159.

What is the best way to prep for the next 60 days?

Thanks

northwood

Re: December LSAT

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:30 pm

take a week off from this test, and workon RC . Get a good manuel and read it cover to cover- then do timed sections

sjlawand88

Postby sjlawand88 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Which RC manual would you recommend?

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:53 pm

im not sure. I had the LRB and LGB ( bibles by powerscore) and those really worked well for me. If I do end up taking the test ( this is assuming I didnt hit my target score in october) Im going to purchase the powerscore RC bible and read it cover to cover.

geminivegitarian

Postby geminivegitarian » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:04 am

We're in the same boat, buddy. I got the Reading Comp Bible and read through it. It basically gives you tips and outlines ways for your to stay focused while reading the passage. Also provides some exercises for you. Overall, though I've heard mixed reviews, I think it's worth it. If you're like me, every little bit of help is worth it, even if its just a few points.

Good luck!

am060459

Postby am060459 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:12 am

sjlawand88 wrote:All,

I just took the October test and I am not that optimistic about the score. I am aiming for 160. I think I have a 50/50 chance based on my impression after taking today's test. I am registered for the December test.

My problem: RC is killing my grades. I have never missed less than 10 (sometimes up to 17 wrong) on RC. I have tried to solve this problem by reading at least 2-3 hours a day- AbaJournal, Economist, etc.... As far as LR goes, all my mistakes are careless. The time pressure compels me to make careless mistakes.

I am an expert at games (-3 max). I am consistently missing between 5-10 on each LR section. Thus, scoring between 154-159.

What is the best way to prep for the next 60 days?

Thanks

focus on the bolded. if you can improve on those, you can get a 160 easily. try to maintain LG mistakes at most to -3 but as for LR you should not be scoring more than -5 on each section.

RC is hard to improve on. i am very similar to you. scored a 159 in june and just took october. RC screws me all the time (missing at most -13 and on average a -9). its hard to improve on RC. are you having trouble comprehending the material or is it timing? if you can with close to 100% accuracy do three passages then that might be the best strategy. doing three passages equals 20 to 21 questions.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:33 am

I would do the following, take it fwiw:

Find a trade journal magazine on a subject you aren't familiar with.
Start selecting articles, and writing reading notes. So, read a few paragraphs, then stop. Ask yourself, "what did I just read?" re write it in your own words.
If there is a word you don't know, look at the context and then write what you THINK it means.

Do this for the whole article. When you're done, give it to someone who didn't read the article. Have them read it and tell you what they think the original article was about. See how well you were able to say, in your own words, what the article said. That's comprehension. If what they say doesn't really match what the article said, then you've got to figure out where you're losing the thread.
If you are not understanding what the passage says as you're reading it, you're going to have a really hard time answering questions about it.
Then check those words you didn't know and see how you did understanding the meaning given the context. There are often LSAT RC questions that say something like "the word xyz as used in line 123 means...."

A lot of work? Yes.
Will it help? Yes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”