A lot of cancellations Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
KevinP

Silver

Re: A lot of cancellations

Post by KevinP » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
tazmolover wrote:
IAFG wrote:things TLSers hate:

1) commitment
2) writing concisely
3) affirmative action
People here love affirmative action.
I wish my dice read "URM" when it was rolled. I wouldn't mind a leg up on a similar candidate, with the same qualifications, for something beyond my control tbh.
whoops, sorry, forgot mentioning AA was TLS' version of 9/11
I've noticed anytime anyone mentions AA in a TLS thread, havoc ensues.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Honestly, the people who bitch about URMs getting a boost are turds. Who cares.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
IAFG wrote:things TLSers hate:

1) commitment
2) writing concisely
3) affirmative action
I love all of those things.
If all of the statements above are true, which one of the following conclusions can be properly drawn?
(A) Nightrunner is not a TLSer.
(B) TLSers love affirmative action.
(C) If somebody writes concisely, they must be committed.
(D) If somebody is a TLSer, they must be committed.
(E) BLACK PEOPLE??????

I choose D, but only if I can make "committed" mean something else

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:42 pm

DearCan wrote:Honestly, the people who bitch about URMs getting a boost are turds. Who cares.
If the guy should have gotten in regardless of his URM status it really is who cares but I find that Americans in general hate egalitarianism and are focused on individual merit - which AA seems to abandon (in many people's opinion) in favor of more equal representation.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Nightrunner wrote:The next person to discuss Affirmative Action in this thread is taking a vacation.
i want more black people in my section. and a vacation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Intimate

New

Post by Intimate » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:49 pm

hey nightrunner can you get rid of this PM restriction on my account? I'm not spamming, I swear!

Bruins101

New

Post by Bruins101 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Last edited by Bruins101 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruins101

New

Post by Bruins101 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Last edited by Bruins101 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Bruins101 wrote:
DearCan wrote:
Bruins101 wrote:
DearCan wrote:It's funny though. Could it be possible that those who would score higher than a lot of others are the ones who cancel? Someone who was lax in their study wouldn't cancel. It's people who worked their butts off and didn't perform to the best of their ability and actually care.
That's how I am feeling. I was at the library 6 days a week from 10 AM - 5:30 ish PM

that's why I am so confused and pissed off at myself and the situation.
I'm pissed too. My highest consistent PT score was 174, so I was shooting for a 171-172 to account for test day nerves. I would be extremely surprised if I break 170, but I could be underestimating myself. I've been studying for four months and have spent something like $200 on study materials, so if I don't break 170 I'll probably shoot myself in the foot.

The thing is, I don't know for sure that I screwed anything up, I just think I screwed up the artifacts game. I might have, I might not have. There were too many hypos to check and I didn't have the time.
sleep on it for a few days and decide what you want to do. My sister got into Harvard with a 163, so if that's what you're shooting for there's hope ;)

My situation is way more messed up than yours. I bitched about it above, so confused and angry right now. Going to send an appeal in about what went down.
What the? Did your family donate a library wing to Harvard Law School? There's no way this is possible even if she had 4.5 gpa unless she cured cancer or urm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:53 pm

My cousin has a friend who got into Yale with a 165, non-URM.

If the other parts of your application are strong, the LSAT will not break you. Your essay better be spectacular, though.

Of course, my GPA is already low for the schools I'm shooting for, so I really REALLY would like a 175+

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:55 pm

incompetentia wrote:My cousin has a friend who got into Yale with a 165, non-URM.

If the other parts of your application are strong, the LSAT will not break you. Your essay better be spectacular, though.

Of course, my GPA is already low for the schools I'm shooting for, so I really REALLY would like a 175+
What the? Tell me what kind of strong softs she had.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Yeah this isn't ringing true to me...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:19 pm

I think TLS people know when we messed up on a section but I do think people are being a little ridiculous. I mean I'm pretty sure I at least 5 wrong with the last LG and one of the LR. Instead of just assuming that those were part of the 8-10 I normally get wrong my mind jumps to that I had a horrible outing. I guess taking a bunch of PTs makes you used to instant gratification.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:20 pm

tazmolover wrote:
incompetentia wrote:My cousin has a friend who got into Yale with a 165, non-URM.

Who was this guy Chesty Puller?

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:26 pm

According to my cousin, she was a 4.0 with a masters' and applied in September. I wouldn't be surprised if my cousin meant 175 but as they say, I was going on the best information that I had at the time.

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:42 pm

DearCan wrote:
Bruins101 wrote:
DearCan wrote:It's funny though. Could it be possible that those who would score higher than a lot of others are the ones who cancel? Someone who was lax in their study wouldn't cancel. It's people who worked their butts off and didn't perform to the best of their ability and actually care.
That's how I am feeling. I was at the library 6 days a week from 10 AM - 5:30 ish PM

I'm pissed too. My highest consistent PT score was 174, so I was shooting for a 171-172 to account for test day nerves. I would be extremely surprised if I break 170, but I could be underestimating myself. I've been studying for four months and have spent something like $200 on study materials, so if I don't break 170 I'll probably shoot myself in the foot.

The thing is, I don't know for sure that I screwed anything up, I just think I screwed up the artifacts game. I might have, I might not have. There were too many hypos to check and I didn't have the time.
You just described me perfectly. PTing 174 consistently (nothing lower, a few hgiher, a few 180's), studied like 5 months on and off, and was aiming for 171. Feel like I might've missed it too, though D: And of course the ridiculous amoutn of money spent on practicing. Where are you hoping to go?

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:06 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
DearCan wrote:
Bruins101 wrote:

You just described me perfectly. PTing 174 consistently (nothing lower, a few hgiher, a few 180's), studied like 5 months on and off, and was aiming for 171. Feel like I might've missed it too, though D: And of course the ridiculous amoutn of money spent on practicing. Where are you hoping to go?
Northwestern, but without a 170+ I don't have a shot. My GPA is low. Second choice is IUB. You?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bruins101

New

Post by Bruins101 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Last edited by Bruins101 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruins101

New

Post by Bruins101 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:11 pm

tazmolover wrote:

All the people that I mentioned didn't go directly to law schools and they were pretty kick ass when they were undergrads. A lot of REAL volunteer/leadership work.. not just resume fillers.. they can tell. All the people that I mentioned were working in their respective areas of interest long term... like years and had held elected or appointed leadership roles within groups/organizations, etc. All of them were "do gooders" and none of them were interested in going to law school to work for a corporations or some big firm. All of them were interested in non-profit work. Their resumes were solid, so I think they fully deserve getting in where they did, they did a lot more during their undergrad than other kids who just had their buried in their books. You gotta respect that.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:15 pm

Bruins101 wrote:
tazmolover wrote:

What the? Did your family donate a library wing to Harvard Law School? There's no way this is possible even if she had 4.5 gpa unless she cured cancer or urm.
[/quote]

nope. A 3.8 from UCLA. she was very politically active, field organizer for Obama campaign in Ohio. Traveled to Myanmar/Burma 3 summers in a row working at a refugee camp. Worked for Planned Parenthood/Emily's list and already had a masters in Public Health. She knew exactly what she wanted to do w/ her law degree and was able to properly express it.

I know a another girl from UCSD with only a 3.4 GPA (English major) and just a 155 on her LSAT, she just graduated from Berkeley Boalt this past June.

I know another current UCLA law student who got in with a 162.[/quote]

And none of these were URM or legacies?

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:34 pm

OP: You really should contact LSAC to see about a retake on their dime. A canceled score will not show up on your record.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tenpenny3

New

Post by tenpenny3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:45 pm

don't forget the lsat and gpa are a portion of your admissions profile.

numbers are far from everything.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:49 pm

tenpenny3 wrote:don't forget the lsat and gpa are a portion of your admissions profile.

numbers are far from everything.
They are by far the most important with the exception of race.

tenpenny3

New

Post by tenpenny3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:10 pm

I agree, they are a big portion, but they're not everything.

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:22 pm

cancelled scores don't show up? since when? Oh, and OP. I also have a WONDERFUL test center story. My proctor came up to me DURING my section 1 and decides to tell me I filled something out wrong. He talked to me for about 2-3 min during a RC, which is so not the time to distract someone (not like any other section is either, but RC is the worst) you have to remember what you read, etc, etc. I was like can we talk about this during the break!?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”