On a side note... 5 hour energy drink

beachbum

Re: On a side note... 5 hour energy drink

Postby beachbum » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Whatever you do, make sure you've thoroughly tested it with PTs (and are aware of its effect on you) before trying it on the real thing. That's just a recipe for disaster.

biggiemike000

Postby biggiemike000 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:10 pm

TCSrcutinizer, are you taking it for weight loss/management or the focus?

How much aspirin? Whatever reason you are taking it for, I'd opt against the aspirin three times a day; do your liver a small favor.

Also, the inhibition of the prostaglandins from the aspirin isn't really necessary to receive the weight loss benefit. I am sure it helps, but EC by itself has been shown to be quite effective.

Just my $0.02

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:36 pm

biggiemike000 wrote:TCSrcutinizer, are you taking it for weight loss/management or the focus?

How much aspirin? Whatever reason you are taking it for, I'd opt against the aspirin three times a day; do your liver a small favor.

Also, the inhibition of the prostaglandins from the aspirin isn't really necessary to receive the weight loss benefit. I am sure it helps, but EC by itself has been shown to be quite effective.

Just my $0.02

Both reasons. Mainly the energy. I'm a pretty low-energy guy most of the time and I tend to crash hard in the afternoons without some chemical assistance. I'm also trying to lose weight right now, so I figured what the hell.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look more deeply into it. I pretty much just read the wiki article and moved on from there.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:37 pm

I was very happy I drank the 5hr. No headache at all through the whole thing or afterward. I feel great! I feel fresh. Don't know how it will affect my score, but I feel way better than I did after walking out of the testing room in June without it. Saw a few others with it, which made me feel better about chugging it as we walked into the room.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Did you fire your lazer?

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:44 pm

Destined wrote:6:30- rockstar sugar free
hour before test: 5 hr Extra strength
ten minutes before test: 5 hr energy
break: 5 hr extra strength

If I would have done that I would have probably blacked out...then regained consciousness butt naked during the middle of the test. In retrospect...how did that work out for you?

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:47 pm

JesusChrist wrote:hmm, isn't 5 hour energy mostly a placebo effect?

Yes....it's just a b vitamin and an almost cup of coffee, caffeine-wise.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Half of a 5 hr energy before walking in, and half at the break. Standardized this method over 10 PTs. Unfortunately, this combined with test day nerves left me really jittery on section 1. Wish I would have known this beforehand, but whatever. I didn't bomb it.

Destined

Postby Destined » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:58 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:

If I would have done that I would have probably blacked out...then regained consciousness butt naked during the middle of the test. In retrospect...how did that work out for you?

Worked pretty well, i just had such a high dosage because my tolerance for caffeine has built up slowly through college. That being said, im pretty sure i got through my first RC passage in less than 2 minutes

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Just feel like I have to say this:

Vitamin B causes nerve damage when it becomes toxic in your body. It's a water-soluble build up, too.

eve2490

Postby eve2490 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:30 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:

That is not quite accurate. It's more like a cup of coffee with a mega-dose of a handful of B-vitamins, including 8333% of the RDA for Vitamin B12.

It also contains a precursor of choline, which is an important nutrient for cognition.

Just saying... I don't know why it works, but for me, it has a much stronger effect than caffeine alone.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:

That is not quite accurate. It's more like a cup of coffee with a mega-dose of a handful of B-vitamins, including 8333% of the RDA for Vitamin B12.

It also contains a precursor of choline, which is an important nutrient for cognition.

Just saying... I don't know why it works, but for me, it has a much stronger effect than caffeine alone.

Is that Sasha Grey in your tar? I don't recognize her with clothes on or when she isn't ruining entourage.

Protip: If you take 5 hr energy without eating/drinking beforehand you will feel like you are running from a bear in the desert while going through a Parkinson's attack.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:58 am

Drummingreg wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:

Is that Sasha Grey in your tar? I don't recognize her with clothes on or when she isn't ruining entourage.

Protip: If you take 5 hr energy without eating/drinking beforehand you will feel like you are running from a bear in the desert while going through a Parkinson's attack.

lol, and yes.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:24 am

Drummingreg wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:

This just called out to me.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:57 am

To me 5 Hour Energy makes every little noise seem like nails on a chalkboard and my ability to focus deeply is hindered. It does help me to breeze quickly through the parts that require lighter thinking though (first 15 LR, some RC).

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:01 am

I look forward to when all of these people are in Law School. When finals week rolls around the chemical cocktails will help make the curves much more forgiving (you only need a few people's hearts to explode before the curve gets a good bit more forgiving).

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:02 am

St.Remy wrote:I look forward to when all of these people are in Law School. When finals week rolls around the chemical cocktails will help make the curves much more forgiving (you only need a few people's hearts to explode before the curve gets a good bit more forgiving).

Heh, I didn't have any caffeine in any form prior to doing PT 60, and that was the one that I got a 180 on. I guess the caffeine was holding me back the whole time!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:12 am

gdane5 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:i should have done some adderall or ritalin before but wasnt sure how it would affect me in a standardized test environment...have used it for writing papers before

There are many threads on here that discuss this. The general consensus is DO NOT TAKE IT. Its not a magic pill that will make you smarter. Your performance on the test ultimately comes down to you, not a pill.

I took the ritalin because A)I'm familiar with its effects (I take it when driving long distances at night because caffeine does NOTHING for me) and B)I was on some brand new migraine meds that contain a (mild) sedative and I was worrying about that slowing me down, so I did a PT under the influence of both on Friday to try it out, and C)I got like 4 hours of sleep. And it was a tiny dose.

I've never taken it to pull all-nighters, and I don't plan to. Not my style.

littlepixie11

Postby littlepixie11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:36 am

[/quote]

Protip: If you take 5 hr energy without eating/drinking beforehand you will feel like you are running from a bear in the desert while going through a Parkinson's attack.[/quote]

lol, and yes.[/quote]
LOL I thought that that was a pic of you the whole time

rso11

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:24 am

Patriot1208 wrote:

jezuz

It's amazing you didn't give yourself a heart attack or something!

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Tried 1 this morning. So far, so good. I feel more alert than usual. If I don't experience any crashes or other adverse effects the rest of today, I just might take 1 tomorrow morning before taking the test.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Drummingreg wrote:Is that Sasha Grey in your tar? I don't recognize her with clothes on or when she isn't ruining entourage.

Entourage was ruinable in the first place?
Seriously if I was stuck on a sinking ship with every single one of those characters and I had to save one it might be Lebron's cameo, simply for the purpose of personally throwing him off the lifeboat

But seriously folks...
I more or less completely gave up caffeine during my senior year of college, and it's had barely any effect on my schedule ultimately. I still end up being able to sleep 6-7 hours per night, and I'm not crazy wired like I have been in the past.
Of course, the semester after I chucked the coffee, I was somehow on the 28-hour per day schedule...

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:42 pm

incompetentia wrote:
Drummingreg wrote:Is that Sasha Grey in your tar? I don't recognize her with clothes on or when she isn't ruining entourage.

Entourage was ruinable in the first place?
Seriously if I was stuck on a sinking ship with every single one of those characters and I had to save one it might be Lebron's cameo, simply for the purpose of personally throwing him off the lifeboat

But seriously folks...
I more or less completely gave up caffeine during my senior year of college, and it's had barely any effect on my schedule ultimately. I still end up being able to sleep 6-7 hours per night, and I'm not crazy wired like I have been in the past.
Of course, the semester after I chucked the coffee, I was somehow on the 28-hour per day schedule...

You hate halloween and entourage? You are doomed in life as a male.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
You hate halloween and entourage? You are doomed in life as a male.

Wrong. I'm Asian. 8)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”