Should I cancel?

ohyouknow
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby ohyouknow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 pm

1) I'm a girl
2) It is clearly not a non-issue. No matter if its a top tier school or not, if you had your heart set on one school and your LSAT score could very well be below acceptable (as well as below your PTs), you might be thinking about canceling as well. There are a lot of factors that go into this decision, and not everything has to do with elitism.
Last edited by ohyouknow on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:31 pm

rahimali wrote:
Bro, just because you have low standards does not mean so does everyone else. If hanging out with people who like to excel bothers you, you are in the wrong place.


DUDE..BRO...GUYDUDEBRO..It has zero to do with the level of standards and more with these pointless issues. I mean, this thread is a non-question, especially when he scored within the top 10th percentile on a fucking STANDARDIZED test! Get over it dude.



You do realize that being in top 10% is not good enough for virtually all top schools?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Ragged wrote:
rahimali wrote:
Bro, just because you have low standards does not mean so does everyone else. If hanging out with people who like to excel bothers you, you are in the wrong place.


DUDE..BRO...GUYDUDEBRO..It has zero to do with the level of standards and more with these pointless issues. I mean, this thread is a non-question, especially when he scored within the top 10th percentile on a fucking STANDARDIZED test! Get over it dude.



You do realize that being in top 10% is not good enough for virtually all top schools?


lol, 10% is like a 164. Most people with 164's don't get the jobs that virtually everyone here wants....

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 pm

rahimali wrote:Bro, I scored a 164, it's the TOP 10%, i'm fucking awesome. I'm going to go to American because it is in DC and DC is SICK. Then i'll be making bank when I get out and i'll make it rain on dem hoez. This LSAT stuff was wack, can't wait to mack on those law school bitches. Moddles and Bottles broseif.

User avatar
TruHoosier
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby TruHoosier » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
rahimali wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
rahimali wrote:see? I want to punch this idiot in the face. The 90th percentile and he wants to cancel? I'm going to behead you with a piano wire garote.


lol, so you are so stupid you want to punch people who want to succeed in the face?


no. just screwball dorks who are empassioned over NON ISSUES. and, i concluded my post with a spanish killing method...not a punch.


Empassioned over the difference between VASTLY different job prospects AND hundreds of thousands to MILLIONS of dollars?

God, who knew people were so ok with mediocrity on TLS.


I think you and the guy you are aruging with are guilty of being a little hyperbolous. The word VASTLY is a little suspect and the "thousands to millions of dollars" makes you sound like Dr. Evil. Even if you land a 170+ and get into a top-three school, your future is far from set in stone.

Mediocrity wouldn't be a score in the 160s; it would be somewhere in the 150s. Even then, people who score in the 150s aren't necessarily settling for mediocrity. There are a slew of factors such as work or family that could be keeping them from studying the amount that is needed to score any higher.

On the other hand, if someone who studied till their eyeballs fell out gets a 166 and was a hoping for 170+, I wouldn't blame that person for being upset.

I'm hoping for the high 160s. If I get a 160, I'm going to be pissed. But I'm not going to throw myself a public pity party. I realize how much of a jack-off I will sound like. I think that is what the OP was expressing frustration with.

IMO, there's a thin line between academic snobbery and setting high standards for yourself.
Last edited by TruHoosier on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:05 pm

TruHoosier wrote:
The word VASTLY is a little suspect and the "thousands to millions of dollars" makes you sound like Dr. Evil.


Lol, if factual statements are hurting your sensibilities than you may want to stay out of these threads.

The difference in 5 points is the difference between a 50% or better chance at biglaw and a 10% chance at biglaw. And through lifetime earnings this will likely equate to the differences in over a million dollars.

User avatar
TruHoosier
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby TruHoosier » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:
The word VASTLY is a little suspect and the "thousands to millions of dollars" makes you sound like Dr. Evil.


Lol, if factual statements are hurting your sensibilities than you may want to stay out of these threads.

The difference in 5 points is the difference between a 50% or better chance at biglaw and a 10% chance at biglaw. And through lifetime earnings this will likely equate to the differences in over a million dollars.


Yeah and if you actually want a chance at some of these big-time jobs that you are fantasizing over, you might want to learn the difference between "than" and "then". :?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:14 pm

TruHoosier wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:
The word VASTLY is a little suspect and the "thousands to millions of dollars" makes you sound like Dr. Evil.


Lol, if factual statements are hurting your sensibilities than you may want to stay out of these threads.

The difference in 5 points is the difference between a 50% or better chance at biglaw and a 10% chance at biglaw. And through lifetime earnings this will likely equate to the differences in over a million dollars.


Yeah and if you actually want a chance at some of these big-time jobs that you are fantasizing over, you might want to learn the difference between "than" and "then". :?


lol, the facepalms in this post are numerous.

User avatar
TruHoosier
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby TruHoosier » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:
The word VASTLY is a little suspect and the "thousands to millions of dollars" makes you sound like Dr. Evil.


Lol, if factual statements are hurting your sensibilities than you may want to stay out of these threads.

The difference in 5 points is the difference between a 50% or better chance at biglaw and a 10% chance at biglaw. And through lifetime earnings this will likely equate to the differences in over a million dollars.


Yeah and if you actually want a chance at some of these big-time jobs that you are fantasizing over, you might want to learn the difference between "than" and "then". :?


lol, the facepalms in this post are numerous.


Snarkiness and hyperbole are the best friends of an academic snob. :lol:

I was curt with you because you didn't even address my point. You just spewed some nonsense about how "my sensibilities" were offended - whatever that means. It seems to me to me that I was the one on this thread who was trying to be sensible.

And you really should take my advice, even though I was being facetious. I doubt there are many hotshot attorneys out there who improperly use than and then.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:30 pm

TruHoosier wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Lol, if factual statements are hurting your sensibilities than you may want to stay out of these threads.

The difference in 5 points is the difference between a 50% or better chance at biglaw and a 10% chance at biglaw. And through lifetime earnings this will likely equate to the differences in over a million dollars.


Yeah and if you actually want a chance at some of these big-time jobs that you are fantasizing over, you might want to learn the difference between "than" and "then". :?


lol, the facepalms in this post are numerous.


Snarkiness and hyperbole are the best friends of an academic snob. :lol:

I was curt with you because you didn't even address my point. You just spewed some nonsense about how "my sensibilities" were offended - whatever that means. It seems to me to me that I was the one on this thread who was trying to be sensible.

And you really should take my advice, even though I was being facetious. I doubt there are many hotshot attorneys out there who improperly use than and then.


It's an internet forum. Half the people on TLS go to t14 schools, have SA positions lined up, and commonly make mistakes in quick internet posting. This is because no one cares, it's quick, and people don't proofread. And I addressed your post just fine, you're just being a douche. The fact of the matter is, VASTLY different job prospects and hundreds of thousands of dollars is a reasonable thing to say given the information that we have. You either are either: 1. completely ignoring factual data when it comes to jobs and salaries, or 2. Are just so wildly uninformed that you are going to willfully redact your stupid statements when you do 10 minutes of research.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:53 pm

TruHoosier wrote:I'm hoping for the high 160s. If I get a 160, I'm going to be pissed. But I'm not going to throw myself a public pity party. I realize how much of a jack-off I will sound like. I think that is what the OP was expressing frustration with.




No one in this thread was throwing a pity party. OP was simply asking a legitamate question weather canceling is a good idea in her situation. Where is snobbery in that? That she wants to increase her chances of being accepted to a desired school? I think you're losing focus here.

User avatar
rahimali
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby rahimali » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
rahimali wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
rahimali wrote:see? I want to punch this idiot in the face. The 90th percentile and he wants to cancel? I'm going to behead you with a piano wire garote.


lol, so you are so stupid you want to punch people who want to succeed in the face?


no. just screwball dorks who are empassioned over NON ISSUES. and, i concluded my post with a spanish killing method...not a punch.


Empassioned over the difference between VASTLY different job prospects AND hundreds of thousands to MILLIONS of dollars?

God, who knew people were so ok with mediocrity on TLS.


Yeah. So, the upper 10th is mediocre??? And, I know lawyers who went to schools that geeks like you would crap on who are not only making 6 figures, but happy as well. I'm sure a fucking score on some test is not going to make any difference in MILLIONS of dollars. The lsat is more about thinning out the herd than making millionares.

I mean, you have a set of painted titties in your avatar, screwball! You must either be some dickless overachiever who NEVER gets laid or a 15 year old 6th grader.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:36 pm

rahimali wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
rahimali wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lol, so you are so stupid you want to punch people who want to succeed in the face?


no. just screwball dorks who are empassioned over NON ISSUES. and, i concluded my post with a spanish killing method...not a punch.


Empassioned over the difference between VASTLY different job prospects AND hundreds of thousands to MILLIONS of dollars?

God, who knew people were so ok with mediocrity on TLS.


Yeah. So, the upper 10th is mediocre??? And, I know lawyers who went to schools that geeks like you would crap on who are not only making 6 figures, but happy as well. I'm sure a fucking score on some test is not going to make any difference in MILLIONS of dollars. The lsat is more about thinning out the herd than making millionares.

I mean, you have a set of painted titties in your avatar, screwball! You must either be some dickless overachiever who NEVER gets laid or a 15 year old 6th grader.


What is the flaw in this argument? BTW, do some reasearch, kid. A quick look at the facts will show you the salaries by lawyers and the likelihood of getting those six figure jobs from whatever schools. Hint: it is VERY small at any school you can get into with a 164. Past performance does not equal future, because, our fathers generation all got biglaw. In our generation, almost everyone won't.


And what, you don't like titties?

Also, since when does being smart and achieving things in life synonymous with being a "nerd"? Quite a few very intelligent people were very not nerdy, many played sports in college (including myself), and many have fucking hot wives. Not only are you stupid, you are ignorant.

User avatar
TruHoosier
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby TruHoosier » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Ragged wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:I'm hoping for the high 160s. If I get a 160, I'm going to be pissed. But I'm not going to throw myself a public pity party. I realize how much of a jack-off I will sound like. I think that is what the OP was expressing frustration with.




No one in this thread was throwing a pity party. OP was simply asking a legitamate question weather canceling is a good idea in her situation. Where is snobbery in that? That she wants to increase her chances of being accepted to a desired school? I think you're losing focus here.


People were giving grief to that rahimali guy about saying that he was sick of seeing people flip out over scores in the high 160s. I thought he was the OP for some reason - I think the thread just got thrown off topic. That is what I was referring to.

And I made a perfectly valid point that your future is far from set in stone if you pull a 170+ on the LSAT and get into a t10 school. I don't understand what is so controversial or appalling about that. I think some people just can't wait to shout platitudes or exaggerations at other people on threads. That guy with the titties on his avatar just got offended because I said it was ridiculous to be threatening public suicide over a 165, as opposed to a 171.

Anyway, I am going to quit posting on this thread before my sensibilities get offended any further. Everyone can feel free to carry on.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:42 pm

TruHoosier wrote:
That guy with the titties on his avatar just got offended because I said it was ridiculous to be threatening public suicide over a 165, as opposed to a 171.



This would be reasonable. The problem is this isn't what was being said. What the first guy said was that it's stupid to be upset about not getting 170+ as if it has no real implication on future success, which is patently false. I pointed out that this was false and then you said that I was exaggerating the point, which would be nice, but isn't true. If you look at employment data, the difference between a 165 and a 171 is probably the difference between a million dollars in lifetime earnings. This is fact. I'm not trying to discourage others, i'm simply stating the reason these people have a clear right to be upset. The problem here is that people want to ignore facts because the legal industry is a scary place, it's an industry that really goes against most of our pre-conceived understandings. The vast majority of people who go to law school will be looking at 50k a year tuition with 40-50k a year salary after getting out, especially those with 165's. As far as employment goes, the LSAT is as class to a do or die prospect that there is.

User avatar
rahimali
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby rahimali » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:49 am

What is the flaw in this argument? BTW, do some reasearch, kid. A quick look at the facts will show you the salaries by lawyers and the likelihood of getting those six figure jobs from whatever schools. Hint: it is VERY small at any school you can get into with a 164. Past performance does not equal future, because, our fathers generation all got biglaw. In our generation, almost everyone won't.


Then explain the several Howard grads I know that make 6 figures a year. A number on a fucking test, just like admission to a school that's considered an upper tier, doesn't really amount to shit if you think about it. Because according to those "numbers" and the ranking system of schools, a person who went to a T3 or 4 school shouldn't be doing anything more than eating out of a dumpster, right? Yet, just in my state alone, I seen several that DON'T. All this obesessing about numbers and tests are a waste of energy. If you're either naturally talented or lucky. The same system works for Doctors and Pharmacists also...


And what, you don't like titties?


not as a avatar on a message board....it's very puerile.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:18 am

Nothing is ever 100% and nothing is ever 0%.

That being said, how people are able to react under different situations can be predicted with the word "often" and "usually" to a surprisingly accurate degree.

In conclusion. nobody's perfect.

(No, I do not know the choreography to that by heart.)

User avatar
confusedlawyer
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby confusedlawyer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 am

Should you cancel? I'd say no. This is a MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST. You can get a 180 as easily as a 120 (not literally, but you get my point). When I left the exam room I felt that I would be lucky to get a 165. 2 days ago I thought there was no way I got less than 170. Now I don't know what the fuck I got, I say roll with it, you may be pleasently surprised.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:56 am

rahimali wrote:
What is the flaw in this argument? BTW, do some reasearch, kid. A quick look at the facts will show you the salaries by lawyers and the likelihood of getting those six figure jobs from whatever schools. Hint: it is VERY small at any school you can get into with a 164. Past performance does not equal future, because, our fathers generation all got biglaw. In our generation, almost everyone won't.


Then explain the several Howard grads I know that make 6 figures a year. A number on a fucking test, just like admission to a school that's considered an upper tier, doesn't really amount to shit if you think about it. Because according to those "numbers" and the ranking system of schools, a person who went to a T3 or 4 school shouldn't be doing anything more than eating out of a dumpster, right? Yet, just in my state alone, I seen several that DON'T. All this obesessing about numbers and tests are a waste of energy. If you're either naturally talented or lucky. The same system works for Doctors and Pharmacists also...


And what, you don't like titties?


not as a avatar on a message board....it's very puerile.



Good thing you used Howard as an example, because, as has been documented, firms specifically go there for minority hiring. They outplace everyone outside of the top25 for that reason. For all intent and purpose, Howard is close to a t14 law school if you are a URM. I'm also starting to understand why you are not grasping the LSAT thing. Anecdotal evidence, whether true or not, doesn't discredit FACTUAL statements. If can't understand this you aren't just likely to do poorly at your law school, you are likely to do poorly as the ambulance chaser you are destined to become. Since you are too ignorant to do this yourself, i'll help you out.

http://www.elsblog.org/.shared/image.ht ... imodal.jpg

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Those people in the second link are the ones in the second distribution. Those people not represented in the second link are in the first distribution. And those in the first distribution are not even very likely to ever make it up to the starting salary of those in the second distribution. And the people in the second distribution will likely have opportunities at 5x or more than those in the first. Here is a simple example of why ignorance like yours ends up in people writing scamblogs. Also, only children attack others one irrelevant grounds to the argument at hand. And you lost any opportunity to call someone else puerile when you tried to make arguments by telling other people they were "nerds" or "lame" and must not get laid. Hypocrites are worse than stupid people.

And the people in the middle of the distributions are those kids from t14 schools that could have gotten biglaw but decided to work prestigious government jobs instead. It isn't that you can't get into the second distribution from a lower school, it's that your chances are VASTLY decreased.

User avatar
rahimali
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby rahimali » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Good thing you used Howard as an example, because, as has been documented, firms specifically go there for minority hiring.


Well, I see why you're not getting what I'm saying either..I'm talking about Black attorneys independent of these dreamy, factual law firms in Black ass Atlanta that went to a so-called T4 school that make 100,000+ yearly. So, your "facts" are not absolute! And, I'm sorry that I can't provide datum that proves what I'm saying. I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR WHIMSICAL INTERNET STATS AND GRAPHS! (I'm surprised the lines on the first one didn't form a set of titties...that woulda been more meritful!)

It's meaningless when my reality dictates that about 90% of what you've stated doesn't add up! According to those stats, T3 school grads would be on the lower end. Well...explain the existence of T3, even T4 grads that make 100+ yearly????? Is it an anomaly? An execption to the rule? Luck? Talent? Hard work? Affirmative Action? Maybe..the point is that it does, and it has nothing to do with the score of a fucking LSAT. 100% of these attorneys can't even remember the score they got, one, when I asked as a part of an interview I did a year ago actually said, "LSAT?"

I know at least 20 t3-4 grad attorneys that make 100,000+ yearly JUST in Atlanta. Find me some data that explains that and I'll shut up and crown you king of the internet 'tards..and include the boob-shaped lines on the graph, por favor.

User avatar
TruHoosier
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby TruHoosier » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:
That guy with the titties on his avatar just got offended because I said it was ridiculous to be threatening public suicide over a 165, as opposed to a 171.



This would be reasonable. The problem is this isn't what was being said. What the first guy said was that it's stupid to be upset about not getting 170+ as if it has no real implication on future success, which is patently false. I pointed out that this was false and then you said that I was exaggerating the point, which would be nice, but isn't true. If you look at employment data, the difference between a 165 and a 171 is probably the difference between a million dollars in lifetime earnings. This is fact. I'm not trying to discourage others, i'm simply stating the reason these people have a clear right to be upset. The problem here is that people want to ignore facts because the legal industry is a scary place, it's an industry that really goes against most of our pre-conceived understandings. The vast majority of people who go to law school will be looking at 50k a year tuition with 40-50k a year salary after getting out, especially those with 165's. As far as employment goes, the LSAT is as class to a do or die prospect that there is.


I will concede that you are right when you say that this guy is kidding himself if he thinks that getting a 165 instead of a 171 isn't going to have implications on his future job prospects. But the key word is implications. I'd say that a person who gets a 165 and ends up at a school like Villanova but works his ass off to be in the top 10% is going to have just as good of job prospects as a person who goes Stanford but is only in the top third of his class. I agree that the LSAT is hugely important for your career, but there are loads of things that can make or break it before you actually enter the legal world. That is the point I was making, which I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with.

And come on man, the vast majority of people who get 165's aren't going to end up with $40k - $50k jobs. I'd say it's probably closer to $70k - still a shitty situation debt-wise, but not as dire as you make it seem.

I admit that I didn't read what rahimali was saying very well. I just get aggravated when people on here use superlatives and know-it-all tones - especially when they don't have much to base it on besides their own research that they've done on the Internet and what they've read on boards like these.

Edit: Ok, I just read rahimali's most recent post. That guy is an idiot. I'm done arguing on his side. This is clearly a sinking ship.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 pm

rahimali wrote:
Good thing you used Howard as an example, because, as has been documented, firms specifically go there for minority hiring.


Well, I see why you're not getting what I'm saying either..I'm talking about Black attorneys independent of these dreamy, factual law firms in Black ass Atlanta that went to a so-called T4 school that make 100,000+ yearly. So, your "facts" are not absolute! And, I'm sorry that I can't provide datum that proves what I'm saying. I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR WHIMSICAL INTERNET STATS AND GRAPHS! (I'm surprised the lines on the first one didn't form a set of titties...that woulda been more meritful!)

It's meaningless when my reality dictates that about 90% of what you've stated doesn't add up! According to those stats, T3 school grads would be on the lower end. Well...explain the existence of T3, even T4 grads that make 100+ yearly????? Is it an anomaly? An execption to the rule? Luck? Talent? Hard work? Affirmative Action? Maybe..the point is that it does, and it has nothing to do with the score of a fucking LSAT. 100% of these attorneys can't even remember the score they got, one, when I asked as a part of an interview I did a year ago actually said, "LSAT?"

I know at least 20 t3-4 grad attorneys that make 100,000+ yearly JUST in Atlanta. Find me some data that explains that and I'll shut up and crown you king of the internet 'tards..and include the boob-shaped lines on the graph, por favor.


You may want to spend some time in the employment forum, you my friend are stupid. If data isn't going to convince you, no amount of rationale will.

Also, what kind of a douchetruck uses words like puerile and then decides to use terms like black ass atlanta?

Lastly, do you see why you did poorly on the LSAT? I'll lay out a parallel reasoning and tell me if you can spot the flaw. "I know some attorneys that are employed and make bank who went to bad schools. I also know there is factual data that has been collected by reputable people who say that it is extremely hard to get those kinds of jobs from bad schools. Therefore, since I know some people that have gotten good jobs from bad schools, the data is false."
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:09 pm

TruHoosier wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
TruHoosier wrote:
That guy with the titties on his avatar just got offended because I said it was ridiculous to be threatening public suicide over a 165, as opposed to a 171.



This would be reasonable. The problem is this isn't what was being said. What the first guy said was that it's stupid to be upset about not getting 170+ as if it has no real implication on future success, which is patently false. I pointed out that this was false and then you said that I was exaggerating the point, which would be nice, but isn't true. If you look at employment data, the difference between a 165 and a 171 is probably the difference between a million dollars in lifetime earnings. This is fact. I'm not trying to discourage others, i'm simply stating the reason these people have a clear right to be upset. The problem here is that people want to ignore facts because the legal industry is a scary place, it's an industry that really goes against most of our pre-conceived understandings. The vast majority of people who go to law school will be looking at 50k a year tuition with 40-50k a year salary after getting out, especially those with 165's. As far as employment goes, the LSAT is as class to a do or die prospect that there is.


I will concede that you are right when you say that this guy is kidding himself if he thinks that getting a 165 instead of a 171 isn't going to have implications on his future job prospects. But the key word is implications. I'd say that a person who gets a 165 and ends up at a school like Villanova but works his ass off to be in the top 10% is going to have just as good of job prospects as a person who goes Stanford but is only in the top third of his class. I agree that the LSAT is hugely important for your career, but there are loads of things that can make or break it before you actually enter the legal world. That is the point I was making, which I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with.

And come on man, the vast majority of people who get 165's aren't going to end up with $40k - $50k jobs. I'd say it's probably closer to $70k - still a shitty situation debt-wise, but not as dire as you make it seem.

I admit that I didn't read what rahimali was saying very well. I just get aggravated when people on here use superlatives and know-it-all tones - especially when they don't have much to base it on besides their own research that they've done on the Internet and what they've read on boards like these.

Edit: Ok, I just read rahimali's most recent post. That guy is an idiot. I'm done arguing on his side. This is clearly a sinking ship.


Click on the first link I posted above. The problem is that there is a HUGE bimodial distribution. Meaning that there are very few people who make 70k. The likelihood is you either get biglaw and make 160k or get small-midlaw and make 40-50k. That's what people don't understand. The bimodial distribution absolutely kills people. Your right that the top 10% at smaller schools have a good shot at the same jobs of top half as Columbia but the problem is that work alone isn't going to get yourself into the top 10%. There is some luck and natural talent involved. Even someone who can get into Harvard but turns it down for a full ride at American has no way of knowing if they will be able to make the top 10%. It's definitely easier to work your ass off and retake the LSAT for those 6 extra points than it is to work your ass off in hopes of getting top 10% instead of going to a school where you can be around median and still get the same job.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:14 pm

This is the new theme song of this thread.

agenthero
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby agenthero » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Here is the truth: there's probably a relatively strong correlation between LSAT scores and salary. In the end, though, it's just a correlation and if you want to make some money you should go to as good of a school as possible for you, work hard, love it, and become a good attorney. If you're good, you'll get paid. The market will find you. Where did Randy Moss go to school? Where did Terrell Owens go to school? What about Chad Ochocinco? Hint: none of them went to Ohio State or Florida. I'm sure someone will hate this analogy but it's not as far off as you'd think.

Just focus on what you can control. Be good at what you do. LSATs matter but not nearly as much as, uh, being a good lawyer.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, jen203, Yahoo [Bot] and 17 guests