Should I cancel?

ohyouknow

Should I cancel?

Postby ohyouknow » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:03 pm

hey all, I'm new to these boards.

I just got out of the LSAT, wondering if I should cancel. I don't think I bombed it but I definitely didn't do up to my potential. Hoping to break 170, and was doing that pretty consistently in practice tests. If I had to guess, I scored somewhere in the 163-168 range. I'm not applying to law school this round, so I have another year to retake. The longer I wait the more I forget how awful I felt coming out...I'm worried I'm going to convince myself I did better than I actually did. I finished all sections but LG (weird, because that is usually my best), but I didn't finish any sections with high confidence.

Does canceling look bad? What is the downside here, besides having to take it again?

Ragged

Re: Should I cancel?

Postby Ragged » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Tough call. If you think you really bombed then cancel. Which schools are you looking at? What's your GPA?

ohyouknow

Postby ohyouknow » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Last edited by ohyouknow on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Don't cancel. As far as I know Umich does not average LSATs, and niether does any school outside of T3, which is out of the question for you anyway because of your GPA.

ohyouknow

Postby ohyouknow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks for your answer! I'm just gonna bump this so I can get more input if possible, though I'm guessing the fact that more people didn't reply means that they agree with you.

I just feel like if I end up with a 165 on this past one I'm essentially ruining my chances at law school. My diagnostic was 165 but my PTs were all over the place, averaging around 171 but with considerable amount higher (up to 176) and quite a few lower (a few 169's)

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:31 am

Ragged wrote:Don't cancel. As far as I know Umich does not average LSATs, and niether does any school outside of T3, which is out of the question for you anyway because of your GPA.

I believe that NYU (and maybe Columbia?) averages.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 am

ohyouknow wrote:Thanks for your answer! I'm just gonna bump this so I can get more input if possible, though I'm guessing the fact that more people didn't reply means that they agree with you.

I just feel like if I end up with a 165 on this past one I'm essentially ruining my chances at law school. My diagnostic was 165 but my PTs were all over the place, averaging around 171 but with considerable amount higher (up to 176) and quite a few lower (a few 169's)

A 165 will not ruin your chances at law school. That's still in the 95th percentile, yo. Also, I think it's fairly unlikely that you will end up with no improvement from your diagnostic. If you didn't bomb it, don't cancel (you could bomb it next time). Almost everyone feels awful coming out of it, and some of the cocky mofos who feel great after will end up disappointed when they get their score.

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:08 am

see? I want to punch this idiot in the face. The 90th percentile and he wants to cancel? I'm going to behead you with a piano wire garote.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:10 am

rahimali wrote:see? I want to punch this idiot in the face. The 90th percentile and he wants to cancel? I'm going to behead you with a piano wire garote.

lol, so you are so stupid you want to punch people who want to succeed in the face?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:13 am

rahimali wrote:see? I want to punch this idiot in the face. The 90th percentile and he wants to cancel? I'm going to behead you with a piano wire garote.

Bro, just because you have low standards does not mean so does everyone else. If hanging out with people who like to excel bothers you, you are in the wrong place.

I respect OP for worrying that he didn't break 170, that would be and was a concern of mine as well. Like I said earlier though, I wouldn't cancel that. The first time I took the LSAT I thought I scored anywhere between 162 and 172 and didn't finish a couple of sections... ended up with a 170.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:13 am

I understand where your coming from. From the june thread after I got my 160 people were crying because they got a 171. Not just one, theres at least 5 go to the june thread if you don't believe me. Anyways, while it is annoying, people simply have different excpectations. A great score for you might be a shitty score for someone else, doesn't mean their better than you, just means their expectations are higher than yours, which in the real world doesn't mean much.

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 am

Patriot1208 wrote:

lol, so you are so stupid you want to punch people who want to succeed in the face?

no. just screwball dorks who are empassioned over NON ISSUES. and, i concluded my post with a spanish killing method...not a punch.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 am

kkklick wrote:

I understand where your coming from. From the june thread after I got my 160 people were crying because they got a 171. Not just one, theres at least 5 go to the june thread if you don't believe me. Anyways, while it is annoying, people simply have different excpectations. A great score for you might be a shitty score for someone else, doesn't mean their better than you, just means their expectations are higher than yours, which in the real world doesn't mean much.

the difference between a 171 and a 160 means A LOT in the real world. Sorry if that hurts your sensibilities. But that is the difference between possibly millions of dollars in future income.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 am

Ragged wrote:

Bro, just because you have low standards does not mean so does everyone else. If hanging out with people who like to excel bothers you, you are in the wrong place.

I respect OP for worrying that he didn't break 170, that would be and was a concern of mine as well. Like I said earlier though, I wouldn't cancel that. The first time I took the LSAT I thought I scored anywhere between 162 and 172 and didn't finish a couple of sections... ended up with a 170.

You got a 170 and writing again? What school do you want to go to lol? In Canada (Ontario) the schools I'm applying to Osgoode U of T etc. a 170 will get you in everywhere as long as your GPA isn't abyssmal

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:16 am

rahimali wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

no. just screwball dorks who are empassioned over NON ISSUES. and, i concluded my post with a spanish killing method...not a punch.

Empassioned over the difference between VASTLY different job prospects AND hundreds of thousands to MILLIONS of dollars?

God, who knew people were so ok with mediocrity on TLS.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:17 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
kkklick wrote:

the difference between a 171 and a 160 means A LOT in the real world. Sorry if that hurts your sensibilities. But that is the difference between possibly millions of dollars in future income.

You misunderstood what I was saying, I wasn't happy with a 160, I was fuming, thats why seeing people complain about a 171 which I would have loved irked me a little. Nevertheless it didn't really bother me, I think I have a chance at a 170 this time if lady luck goes my way. Would be verry happy with a high 160 to

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:17 am

Random hijacking question, but:

T3 is out of the question with say, a 3.56ish and a 180? Was going to take a shot in the dark at HLS but if that's pointless, then I might as well not waste my money.

Oh, also, SHOULD I CANCEL (just so everybody is satisfied with being defensive/angry)

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:17 am

kkklick wrote:
Ragged wrote:

You got a 170 and writing again? What school do you want to go to lol? In Canada (Ontario) the schools I'm applying to Osgoode U of T etc. a 170 will get you in everywhere as long as your GPA isn't abyssmal

I would like HYS. Unfortionately I retook in June and did worse than the first time, so only a very high 170s should give me a decent chance this cycle.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:18 am

incompetentia wrote:Random hijacking question, but:

T3 is out of the question with say, a 3.56ish and a 180? Was going to take a shot in the dark at HLS but if that's pointless, then I might as well not waste my money.

Oh, also, SHOULD I CANCEL (just so everybody is satisfied with being defensive/angry)

lol, don't know if serious... But ya below a 3.7 GPA T3 is out of the question even with a 180. You could maybe squeak in at HLS with a 3.68 or something but definitely not with your gpa.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:19 am

Ragged wrote:
kkklick wrote:
Ragged wrote:

I would like HYS. Unfortionately I retook in June and did worse than the first time, so only a very high 170s should give me a decent chance this cycle.

Oh I understand. Good luck, how do you feel you did? This test definately was open to quite a few high grades if people were well prepared and had a good day.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:21 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
inck wrote:Random hijacking question, but:

lol, don't know if serious... But ya below a 3.7 GPA T3 is out of the question even with a 180. You could maybe squeak in at HLS with a 3.68 or something but definitely not with your gpa.

Sucks. My UG transcript puts me at 3.72 but LSDAS is a crapper. Softs would have helped me probably too if I'd been borderline
Last edited by incompetentia on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:22 am

kkklick wrote:
Ragged wrote:
kkklick wrote:
Ragged wrote:

Oh I understand. Good luck, how do you feel you did? This test definately was open to quite a few high grades if people were well prepared and had a good day.

I missed a relatively easy question on LR so that compromises my 180 chances. But overall I feel that I should have atleast gotten a 175+. Anything could happen of course.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:23 am

incompetentia wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Random hijacking question, but:

Sucks. My UG transcript puts me at 3.72 but LSDAS is a crapper. Softs would have helped me probably too if I'd been borderline

Even at 3.72 with a 177-180 your chance still would have been slightly less than 50 %

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am

Well, 50% could have been worth a shot. Thanks anyway man =(

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:40 am

DUDE..BRO...GUYDUDEBRO..It has zero to do with the level of standards and more with these pointless issues. I mean, this thread is a non-question, especially when he scored within the top 10th percentile on a fucking STANDARDIZED test! Get over it dude.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”