Finished EVERY section waaay early

whitefeather2011

Re: Finished EVERY section waaay early

Postby whitefeather2011 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:35 am

I finished LG way faster than any of the recent LGs I've taken. That's why I think it'll be a tough curve. Other than that, because I'm a little more focused in the actual one than in practice tests, finishing about 9 minutes early in every section makes sense. A disturbance in the room slowed me down on one section and I only finished 6 early...

I have no idea what this means. Could mean I rocked it, Praise the Lord.
Could mean that the curve is -8 or something horrible and it's -1 for a 180 and -2 for a 178 and -3 for a 176 etc. haha. That would be atrocious.

I'll be really curious to see where all of these people end up once we get our scores back. I think it might be beneficial to future test takers if you returned here and posted your scores.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:37 am

Bill99 wrote:Exactly, it makes me vy nervous. Im not bragging that I finished early, its scary and i dont think its a good sign.

Yeah, I would worry about that, too.

Just for a point of comparison, when I did PT 60, I had multiple sections coming down to the wire, and barely finished some of them, and that was my best score ever, 180.

On some PTs, I sometimes finish LR sections with 8 minutes left without problems; but, on this test I was spending all that time working on the brick house question and others.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:59 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Bill99 wrote:Exactly, it makes me vy nervous. Im not bragging that I finished early, its scary and i dont think its a good sign.

I did PT 60, I had multiple sections coming down to the wire, and barely finished some of them, and that was my best score ever, 180.

On some PTs, I sometimes finish LR sections with 8 minutes left without problems; but, on this test I was spending all that time working on the brick house question and others.

What a great edifying example. I'm sure Bill feels much better now. :wink:

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:05 am

GoGetIt wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

I did PT 60, I had multiple sections coming down to the wire, and barely finished some of them, and that was my best score ever, 180.

What a great edifying example. I'm sure Bill feels much better now. :wink:

Yeah, I suppose I'm not much help. :(

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:08 am

It's the thought that counts. :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:05 am

alphagamma wrote:I cannot even imagine finishing a LR section with 15 min left. That's what, a question every 50 seconds? Insane!

Ragged wrote:Holy hell, 20-minute LR section is insane. You'll prolly do well in law school.

I've always read fast. Not one of those crazy speed-readers who can just flip pages and absorb entire books in 20 minutes, but I can skim and pick up general things quickly, and then I have a semi-decent visual recall of where in the passage I saw the bit about 18th-century poetry critics and artificial sweeteners (or whatever). My biggest challenge is to properly read the question and make sure I'm not getting it backwards ('all of these EXCEPT' or 'weakens' vs. 'strengthens', etc.)

But I was definitely super focused today. It helped to not have my cat jumping onto my desk and laying down on my PT book every 3 minutes. She's good for probably 4 wasted minutes per section. :P

littlepixie11

Postby littlepixie11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:32 am

Do you think finishing 2 min early is a bad sign? Other than LG ugh
The earlier questions, I got through pretty decently, but I would spend like 3 min on the last questions so that brought me down more to the wire
oh boy

dpase22

Postby dpase22 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:55 am

Bill99 wrote:Yeah, like 5-8 min early. Never once was I working when the proctor gave the 5 minute warning. I finished most PT sections with 1-2 min to spare, def not more.
Freaking me the hell out.

I had the exact same experience; I finished every section well before the 5 minute warning.

I have taken 40 practice tests, and that has never happened for every section in a single test. Maybe two of the five sections, but never all of them. I've been averaged 175.37 with a standard deviation of 2.14 on the last 20 tests, so I do know what I am doing - I didn't simply bomb it.

Considering what other people are saying, this wasn't a particularly easy test. This leads to only a few explanations that I can fathom: (1) We had a bad test, we didn't handle the pressure well and sped through it, lowering our accuracy. Maybe the problems were designed to trick the especially prepared. We've all seen a few of these kind of problems throughout the PTs - maybe this test just had more of them. In this case we didn't do so well, although we thought we did well as we sped through it. (2) This test played to our strengths. We were lucky and this test didn't have any problems that consumed too much time for us. As evidence for this, there are some types of questions that take me much longer than usual, and I didn't see more than two of these questions per section. Evidence against this is that I have taken 40 tests and this has never happened once before for me. (3) We had the LSAT of our lives; we rose to the occasion and conquered the LSAT.

I am staying in denial and sticking with (3) until the scores come out....

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:45 pm

dpase22 wrote:
Bill99 wrote:Yeah, like 5-8 min early. Never once was I working when the proctor gave the 5 minute warning. I finished most PT sections with 1-2 min to spare, def not more.
Freaking me the hell out.

I had the exact same experience; I finished every section well before the 5 minute warning.

I have taken 40 practice tests, and that has never happened for every section in a single test. Maybe two of the five sections, but never all of them. I've been averaged 175.37 with a standard deviation of 2.14 on the last 20 tests, so I do know what I am doing - I didn't simply bomb it.

Considering what other people are saying, this wasn't a particularly easy test. This leads to only a few explanations that I can fathom: (1) We had a bad test, we didn't handle the pressure well and sped through it, lowering our accuracy. Maybe the problems were designed to trick the especially prepared. We've all seen a few of these kind of problems throughout the PTs - maybe this test just had more of them. In this case we didn't do so well, although we thought we did well as we sped through it. (2) This test played to our strengths. We were lucky and this test didn't have any problems that consumed too much time for us. As evidence for this, there are some types of questions that take me much longer than usual, and I didn't see more than two of these questions per section. Evidence against this is that I have taken 40 tests and this has never happened once before for me. (3) We had the LSAT of our lives; we rose to the occasion and conquered the LSAT.

I am staying in denial and sticking with (3) until the scores come out....

I vote for 3 until further notice... this entire reasoning ^^ is what I have explained to everyone that asks me "how did you do on the lsat".

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 pm

I think you guys are reading into it too much- you give LSAC too much credit.

You killed the test- congrats!

dpase22

Postby dpase22 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:23 am

For the record, (3) was correct. I conquered the LSAT, scoring well above my PT average!

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:27 am

dpase22 wrote:For the record, (3) was correct. I conquered the LSAT, scoring well above my PT average!

Congrats. Unfortunately, (1) was correct for me. Time for a retake.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Nonok wrote:
dpase22 wrote:For the record, (3) was correct. I conquered the LSAT, scoring well above my PT average!

Congrats. Unfortunately, (1) was correct for me. Time for a retake.

same, retaking in feb

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:31 pm

(3) ended up being correct for me as well...except when I finished way early I went back and reviewed (which I never do) and changed 5 total answers that I had right over to wrong answers. Can clearly see the erased marks on my score sheet, and on seeing it I remember them all.
I still got a 167, but I should have had my 170+ without trouble.
Will apply to all my safety schools now and retake in Dec for one last shot at HY.

pppokerface

Postby pppokerface » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:31 am

I finished the first 4 sections early and got -1, -2, -1-about a min early
The last section (games) I almost ran out of time and got a -8

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”