October LSAT overseas takers

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:01 pm

i'd advise against taking the dec lsat unless you're planning to apply next year

i really hope i get enough of a score so that i can at least know the yale 250word essay won't go to waste lol

are you finished with your personal statement?


In either case, I'm not applying to any law schools until I have an actual LSAT score on file that will give me a reasonable chance of getting into a law school in the U.S. or Canada with excellent job placement rates in at least one of North America's four largest legal markets: NY, DC, Chicago, and Toronto. That's pretty much the U.S. top 8 and maybe Northwestern.

If my score's too low, I'm going to buy the Manhattan books and study for three months to take in February (when my job is slow) for applying next cycle.

I did something like a PS when I applied to the London School of Economics MSc last year. It got me accepted, though without scholarship, so I think with some tweaking, it will work.

Trequartista
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:26 am

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Trequartista » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:29 am

Will the curve for international students be any different from the curve for U.S students?

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:45 am

nael wrote:Will the curve for international students be any different from the curve for U.S students?


Yes indeed.. They're completely separate tests, so the curves will be different. Since ours are undisclosed, however, we'll never know what our curve was.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:47 am

Yes indeed.. They're completely separate tests, so the curves will be different. Since ours are undisclosed, however, we'll never know what our curve was.


No, because our test was the February 2005 LSAT, so the curve is presumably, whatever the curve for that test was + whatever affect adding in a comparative reading passage had.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:55 am

niederbomb wrote:
Yes indeed.. They're completely separate tests, so the curves will be different. Since ours are undisclosed, however, we'll never know what our curve was.


No, because our test was the February 2005 LSAT, so the curve is presumably, whatever the curve for that test was + whatever affect adding in a comparative reading passage had.


Whats the no for? Aren't we saying the same thing?

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:00 am

Whats the no for? Aren't we saying the same thing?


Not exactly. But the "no" referred to the poster above you. I meant to quote your post and the other one, but it didn't work out, then my internet crashed and I wasn't able to edit it in time. You live in China; you know what I'm talking about, I think. :wink:

downpour
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:09 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby downpour » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 pm

niederbomb, what makes you believe that the overseas exam was the February 2005 LSAT?

I personally hope it's not because I was banking on a continuation of the trend toward more generous curves that has been taking place over the last few tests...

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 pm

niederbomb wrote:
Whats the no for? Aren't we saying the same thing?


Not exactly. But the "no" referred to the poster above you. I meant to quote your post and the other one, but it didn't work out, then my internet crashed and I wasn't able to edit it in time. You live in China; you know what I'm talking about, I think. :wink:


Ah, I see. Well, I meant to say what you said, and you meant to quote me and someone else, so in math that should work out...somehow :-D

Are you staying in today to avoid the demonstrations?

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Ah, I see. Well, I meant to say what you said, and you meant to quote me and someone else, so in math that should work out...somehow

Are you staying in today to avoid the demonstrations?


I have to work this afternoon and evening; I'm not sure about any demonstrations in Shenyang except the anti-Japanese ones. And if anyone questions me, I'll just remind them my country fought a war against Japan, too.

What have you heard?

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Same here- anti-Japanese. They've been violent in nearby cities- in one, a Japanese-looking man got beat up . He's really Chinese.

We got a warning from the consulate to stay in. Apparently, in the past, sometimes demonstrations go from "Down with the Japanese!" to "Down with the foreigners!". I don't trust angry people to remember that we fought the Japanese too.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:06 pm

downpour wrote:

niederbomb, what makes you believe that the overseas exam was the February 2005 LSAT?

I personally hope it's not because I was banking on a continuation of the trend toward more generous curves that has been taking place over the last few tests...


http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Past_LSAT_ ... _2005_LSAT

It's not 100% the same test; obviously, the comparative reading is new. But otherwise, same RC, same LG and possibly same LR as well (at least same number of questions).

Some of the 40's tests had generous curves, too, prollly because they had experimentals tested during the first Bush recession. :wink:

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:10 pm

Same here- anti-Japanese. They've been violent in nearby cities- in one, a Japanese-looking man got beat up . He's really Chinese.

We got a warning from the consulate to stay in. Apparently, in the past, sometimes demonstrations go from "Down with the Japanese!" to "Down with the foreigners!". I don't trust angry people to remember that we fought the Japanese too.


That's a good point; however, I haven't registered with any American consulates, so if they did send out such a message, I haven't received it. Maybe I just won't go out late tonight like I was planning to.

I would imagine the feelings would be strong here, though, because Shenyang is the site of the Mukden incident that began WWII, so maybe I should be worried.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 pm

I'm probably just paranoid. My part of China is generally concerned "rougher" than where you are (stabbing on buses, etc.), so I'm erring on the side of caution. :-) Maybe we can take some cool photos and sell them to Time or something.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:25 pm

niederbomb wrote:
downpour wrote:

niederbomb, what makes you believe that the overseas exam was the February 2005 LSAT?

I personally hope it's not because I was banking on a continuation of the trend toward more generous curves that has been taking place over the last few tests...


http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Past_LSAT_ ... _2005_LSAT

It's not 100% the same test; obviously, the comparative reading is new. But otherwise, same RC, same LG and possibly same LR as well (at least same number of questions).

Some of the 40's tests had generous curves, too, prollly because they had experimentals tested during the first Bush recession. :wink:

crap thats the same test, except the i think both reasoning sections had 25 or am i wrong?

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:40 pm

crap thats the same test, except the i think both reasoning sections had 25 or am i wrong?


No, ours had 25 and 26 also, if I remember correctly.

The December 2004 test had a -12 curve; however, the June 2005 test had a -9 curve. Which one is ours?

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm probably just paranoid. My part of China is generally concerned "rougher" than where you are (stabbing on buses, etc.), so I'm erring on the side of caution. Maybe we can take some cool photos and sell them to Time or something.


Eugenie, Dongbei has a reputation for being unusually rough for China also, but I think our roughness usually manifests itself in terms of bar fights. Stabbings used to be quite common here in Shenyang, too, but I don't think that's the case anymore. We have police and cameras everywhere now; that's probably part of it.

I haven't seen too many cool photos worth taking, at least not yet.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:56 pm

I will be abroad for the December LSAT. If I do need to retake, I will have to do it overseas. Does anyone know if the administration/paperwork is given in english or the native language?

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:08 am

All the official stuff is in English just like in the states.

However, at my administration, some students asked questions in Chinese and received answers in Chinese. The proctors also answered any questions in English.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:13 am

wikipedia did say it was a bit harder than recent tests so i wouldn't imagine why it'd drop from -12 to -9.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:55 am

wikipedia did say it was a bit harder than recent tests so i wouldn't imagine why it'd drop from -12 to -9.


Good catch. The article says:
Ratings of this administration placed its difficulty slightly higher than other recent exams.


This is key: does "recent" mean prior to or after this exam? Basically, is it referring to PT 45 with a nice curve or later tests with a stingy curve?

I'd really be interested in finding these PR "ratings" this wikipedia article refers to because it says the other February tests around this one were rated as either on par with or below the difficulty of other tests.

If we could find what the surveys said for the disclosed tests, we could probably calculate the curve pretty accurately.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:39 pm

Well if you say,

I feel worse than I did recently -- you're talking about before.

This is talking about before, no question, so the -12. But it's possible the test was -12 and had 101 questions. IDK. Doing this stinks. We have no idea what to study, because they can throw us something new OR something old.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:48 pm

This is talking about before, no question, so the -12. But it's possible the test was -12 and had 101 questions. IDK. Doing this stinks. We have no idea what to study, because they can throw us something new OR something old.


Part of me is relieved - I did significantly better on tests in the 40's, especially on RC. Back then, I sometimes wouldn't even make it to the last game and still get 170+.

But if I get too low, I'm going to wait until June and take it when I'm back in the USA. Not sure I'd be willing to risk another undisclosed test if I get <167.

Trequartista
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:26 am

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby Trequartista » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:16 am

Are non-disclosed test takers worse off? Why are we getting a test from the 40s anyway. Makes no sense to have a completely different test for overseas takers.

User avatar
lotus924
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:17 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby lotus924 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:25 am

two weeks down, one more left to go

maybe the results will come out a few days early as was the case with the june test?
i'm guessing thursday or friday;-)

xqhp82
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby xqhp82 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:07 pm

justadude55 wrote:This is talking about before, no question, so the -12.


ohhhh so that means there's hope for a -14 curve!! lol i really hope so

but I really dun feel that our test is anything similar to the 40s tests. I got most of my highest scores in the 40s but the october test felt like PT60 but worse. I wonder whether the Feb 2005 takers felt any different when they had done their prep with pre-2005 tests?

anyway, we're gonna find out within a week. this is so scary!!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DumbHollywoodActor, JOSIEWANG1108 and 3 guests