October LSAT overseas takers

niederbomb

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby niederbomb » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:19 pm

re the rumor about tailoring questions to overseas takers, I highly highly doubt that is the case, as law schools are not tailored to ESLs and so the aptitude test shouldn't be either. However, could the curve be a little more generous because of people's performance due to English comprehension?

No, because the "curve"--equating, actually--is based on experimental sections that may have been on U.S. tests.

But hopefully, the curve will be generous, just like tests in the 40's.

rowenar

Postby rowenar » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:44 am

lotus924 wrote:VERY lightweight.
This test - especially the LRs -did not seem to follow the question patterns of preptests 57-60
so many assumption and EXCEPT questions
and the grammar seemed a little funky....though I can't pinpoint exactly how and where
is LSAC getting sloppy because the overseas test is nondisclosed??
or are they subtly changing the types of questions to tailor to overseas takers - as was the rumor here in Korea since March

Did you take the Asia test? I thought it the LRs (the first graded section in particular on the form that had the LR experimental) felt a bit off too. I was so sure it was the experimental until the last section, which was my third LR and felt even more off.

Difficulty-wise I also thought the LR at least wasn't consistent with the late 50s-60 preptests.

lotus924

Postby lotus924 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:47 am

sojuteacher wrote:Was anyone surprised at the two questions per passage problems in the LR sections? It felt like I was taking the PTs in the 40s.

niederbomb wrote:No, because the "curve"--equating, actually--is based on experimental sections that may have been on U.S. tests.
But hopefully, the curve will be generous, just like tests in the 40's.

rowenar wrote: Difficulty-wise I also thought the LR at least wasn't consistent with the late 50s-60 preptests.

I guess this might be the case...the test was quite reminiscent of the 3-40s preptests.

Really niederbomb, I really really do hope the curve is as generous as you say.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:24 am

Really niederbomb, I really really do hope the curve is as generous as you say.

That's a hope not a prediction. I didn't finish the LG section, so I kind of need a -11, at least, to break 170.

Most likely, the curve was between -9 and -10. The whole thing had a "PT 55" feel to it.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:52 am

AreJay711 wrote:You probably took the same test as people in the US if you look over at the other sections. It would be hard to scale a test just based off international test takers. The experimental sections were all jumbled this year so you will just have to look over questions.

As far as I'm aware, the test isn't curved against those sitting it, it's curved against those who have recently sat the test.

So the questions they received will have been used as experimental sections previously. From that, they know how difficult they are and can curve accordingly. That way they can administer a different test in other countries.

I'd guess they administer more than one overseas test too, simply on the grounds of global time differences. Otherwise there would be a risk of someone sitting the test in, say, Australia and communicating with a European about the test content before the European has sat the test.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:This is terrible, but I was in the chorus of a Bach chorale, and when I saw this passage, I did a little mental happy backflip :-) <3 music passage

SQUIDs,though...not so much.

I think we had the exact same RC section. I took the test today and had Bach, SQUIDS, Native American and October/December cotton shipment, not necessarily in that order.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 pm

Cromartie wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:This is terrible, but I was in the chorus of a Bach chorale, and when I saw this passage, I did a little mental happy backflip :-) <3 music passage

I think we had the exact same RC section. I took the test today and had Bach, SQUIDS, Native American and October/December cotton shipment, not necessarily in that order.

Yup, we did. That's pretty poor on LSAC's part, since I took those ?'s on Sunday.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Cromartie wrote:

Yup, we did. That's pretty poor on LSAC's part, since I took those ?'s on Sunday.

What kind of games did you have? Did you have high school teachers and hats?

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:33 am

Yes.

Apparently, if I had a brought a spy watch, I might have been able to send you a scan of the test for 70,000 RMB. :)

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:10 pm

niederbomb wrote:

Yes.

Apparently, if I had a brought a spy watch, I might have been able to send you a scan of the test for 70,000 RMB. :)

I can't believe LSAC would commit such an egregious oversight. I have a feeling we might be seeing an increase in the number of non-Saturday LSAT test takers in the near future. But then again, LSAC people do browse these forums, so I'm sure they won't be making the same mistake again.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Cromartie wrote:
niederbomb wrote:

Yes.

I can't believe LSAC would commit such an egregious oversight. I have a feeling we might be seeing an increase in the number of non-Saturday LSAT test takers in the near future. But then again, LSAC people do browse these forums, so I'm sure they won't be making the same mistake again.

I did a little research, and apparently they do this every year

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Unbelievable. Where'd you find the info?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:03 am

So apparently a lot of people's LSAC home pages have changed, no longer showing alerts to print the admissions ticket. Mine hasn't. Just wondering if it's an international thing or if I'm just lucky. ;-)

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:36 am

So apparently a lot of people's LSAC home pages have changed, no longer showing alerts to print the admissions ticket. Mine hasn't. Just wondering if it's an international thing or if I'm just lucky.

If you're lucky, I'm lucky too. :wink:

lsatter

Postby lsatter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:19 am

Mine has, I can't print it anymore.

one week down, two to go :wink:

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:15 am

This must be my day off from work because I'm thinking about the oddest things:

I just redid PT 43, and it seemed a lot like our test. Easy LG with 22 Q's, Hard LR, Easy LR, Moderate RC, and it had a -12 curve.

I am hopeful! Maybe I won't have to retake after all.

lotus924

Postby lotus924 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 am

do you take preptests for fun???lol
i certainly hope we have such a generous curve

p.s. loving the bazzinga;-)

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 am

No way. I'm preparing for the worst under the theory that the worst is less likely to happen that way.

Hopefully, the worst thing that will happen is that I studied for 3 weeks, get a good score, then slap myself for wasting all that time I could have spent drinking Snow Beer and chasing Chinese chics. :wink:
Last edited by niederbomb on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

lotus924

Postby lotus924 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 am

ah and while we (overseas takers) are waiting for our scores.

i was wondering how everyone's doing with their applications.
the oct test was a retake for me, so i have some idea about what kind of range i belong to
i'm drawn more to the east coast, so i'm applying to columbia :)

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 am

the oct test was a retake for me, so i have some idea about what kind of range i belong to
i'm drawn more to the east coast, so i'm applying to columbia

Got LOR's, etc all done. Waiting to actually write "Why NYU" essays, etc. until I can confirm that I'm not wasting my time.

I will stay up for 48 hours straight writing during a weekend, give it a few days, and then edit and submit within 1 week of getting a (good) score.
Last edited by niederbomb on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lotus924

Postby lotus924 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 am

niederbomb wrote:

No way. I'm preparing for the worst under the theory that the worst is less likely to happen that way.

Hopefully, the worst thing that will happen is that I studied for 3 weeks, get a good score, then slap myself for wasting all that time I could have spent drinking Snow Beer and chasing Chinese chics. :wink:

what's this snow beer? soju is more my scene lol

lotus924

Postby lotus924 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 am

niederbomb wrote:

i'm drawn more to the east coast, so i'm applying to columbia

Got LOR's, etc all done. Waiting to actually write "Why NYU" essays, etc. until I can confirm that I'm not wasting my time.

I will stay up for 48 hours straight writing during a weekend, give it a few days, and then edit and submit within 1 week of getting a (good) score.

that's my plan too
sent in the final lor today

will you be applying early decision to anywhere?

p.s. i thought an "why nyu" essay requirement didnt exist
Last edited by lotus924 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 am

what's this snow beer? soju is more my scene lol

Where I am, I can drink North Korean soju. But I prefer Baijiu for hard liquor.

The main reason is soju's too expensive in China, and Snow/Harbin/Keller kicks Cass's ass any day.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:49 am

that's my plan too
sent in the final lor today

will you be applying early decision to anywhere?

Yes, if I get over 170. 171: NYU. 172: ED Columbia. 173: ED nowhere. 167-170: Apply to University of Toronto but nowhere else until after December LSAT.

p.s. i thought an "why nyu" essay requirement didnt exist

You're probably right. I just pulled it out of my *ss. I'll have the luxury of looking at exact requirements after I get an actual LSAT score and decide if NYU is worth applyting to. I have 3 LOR's in LSAC, and the Dean's statement already submitted to Stanford. Everything else, I can do at a moment's notice.

lotus924

Postby lotus924 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:56 am

i'd advise against taking the dec lsat unless you're planning to apply next year

i really hope i get enough of a score so that i can at least know the yale 250word essay won't go to waste lol

are you finished with your personal statement?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”