October LSAT overseas takers

cornell

Re: October LSAT overseas takers

Postby cornell » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:26 am

I thought the first and last game was easy, but I kinda stumbled on the second game, so I did it last and had to guess on a few......

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:35 am

I thought all the games were easy, but my nerves got to me, and I stalled on game #3 or #2 (I can't remember), so I started the last (easy) game after the five minute warning. I hope two out of the last 3 were B. That would be amazing. :D

I thought one of the games was a little unconventional, not mulch unconventional, but "unusual" nonetheless. I also, in my test-day daze, thought I had seen the first game somewhere else before in a PT, or one just like it.

Unfortunately, the curve will slaughter us. PT 54 had an easy LG section and a moderate RC, LR, like this one, and that curve was brutal (-9, I think). Or, maybe the LR, the superconductors, and Bach passages killed people, and we got a -12.

Superconductors and Bach were in the same section, right? If so, then that was the real one, and most people seem to have problems with scientific/technical passages, so that might cause a more generous curve, right?

cornell

Postby cornell » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:45 am

I'm not too worried about the curve, I thought PT 59 was easy but then it had a great curve. The curve is supposed to be determined by an multivariable equation, so easy LG alone should only be a factor.

cornell

Postby cornell » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:48 am

Yea you're right, they're in the same RC section.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:55 am

Yea you're right, they're in the same RC section.

Good, then because I can definitely see a lot of people not getting too far in Bach. Or maybe it was just me, since my knowledge of musical history pretty much begins and ends with the likes of Lady Gaga and Eminem. :wink:

I'm not too worried about the curve, I thought PT 59 was easy but then it had a great curve. The curve is supposed to be determined by an multivariable equation, so easy LG alone should only be a factor.

However, most people taking the LSAT are not known for their high mathematical ability, myself only somewhat included, so it's safe to say that more people struggle on LG than on any other section.

A hard LG section screws a lot of people=more generous curve. A hard RC section, to a much lesser extent.
Last edited by niederbomb on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:57 am

This is terrible, but I was in the chorus of a Bach chorale, and when I saw this passage, I did a little mental happy backflip :-) <3 music passage

SQUIDs,though...not so much.

cornell

Postby cornell » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:01 am

What's great about today's test for me is that I can't remember a fucking thing clearly. Which makes me nervous right now.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:05 am

It just means you blasted through it in a haze of awesomeness!

cornell

Postby cornell » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:08 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:It just means you blasted through it in a haze of awesomeness!

Haha thanks I hope so, btw is your picture from that girl in the L word?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:10 am

cornell wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:It just means you blasted through it in a haze of awesomeness!

Haha thanks I hope so, btw is your picture from that girl in the L word?

Yup! Actress is Leisha Hailey.

lsatter

Postby lsatter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:02 am

LLB2JD wrote:Anyone took the exam in London? Ours was totally different from US takers.

I had LR, RC, LR, LR, LG

Hey, I had RC, LG, LR, LG, LR - def different test from north america, really annoying to see everyone discussing around qs and passages that....weren't there! lol

Was in one of the upstairs rooms, was fun when the proc noted the room had 2 big clocks she could see, and that neither of them worked :)

soccerplayer

Postby soccerplayer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:25 am

I took the test in London. The last RC(on art forgeries) and LG(I remember something about RST) were definitely harder than average, and I've talked to a lot of people who guessed about 3-4 questions on each. LR was average I believe. I'm guessing the curve is going to be something around -11 to -13. Definitely nothing less than -11.

mehs

Postby mehs » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:41 pm

soccerplayer wrote:I took the test in London. The last RC(on art forgeries) and LG(I remember something about RST) were definitely harder than average, and I've talked to a lot of people who guessed about 3-4 questions on each. LR was average I believe. I'm guessing the curve is going to be something around -11 to -13. Definitely nothing less than -11.

I agree, the RC was on the dense side - although I've actually read a whole book on Van Meergen and Vermeer so that was cool to see, even if I had to rush through that section. And that last game with RST just totally threw me off. Had to guess on a number of qs.

I had three LRs - two were average, but my first one was more difficult than normal. Did anyone also have a LR question (last one in the section) about zoos (small/large, non/for profit)?

lsatter

Postby lsatter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 pm

mehs wrote:
soccerplayer wrote:I took the test in London. The last RC(on art forgeries) and LG(I remember something about RST) were definitely harder than average, and I've talked to a lot of people who guessed about 3-4 questions on each. LR was average I believe. I'm guessing the curve is going to be something around -11 to -13. Definitely nothing less than -11.

I agree, the RC was on the dense side - although I've actually read a whole book on Van Meergen and Vermeer so that was cool to see, even if I had to rush through that section. And that last game with RST just totally threw me off. Had to guess on a number of qs.

I had three LRs - two were average, but my first one was more difficult than normal. Did anyone also have a LR question (last one in the section) about zoos (small/large, non/for profit)?

Oh god, if I ever see another paragraph about "projects" that people might be assigned to, or might not exist, I'm going to scream, that was a nightmare.

Zoos were in mine, that q was.... frustrating.

Van Meergen and Vermeer were at least moderately interesting :) I think my eyes glazed over at some point during the hominid evolution passage.....

mehs

Postby mehs » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Darn...I was hoping that the LR section with zoos was my experimental. Oh well. Crossing my fingers for a generous curve.

lsatter

Postby lsatter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

sorry :( I had two LGs, so the first of those was my experimental. Can barely remember any of the qs now - couple of the games, 3/4 reading passages (hominids, chinese american dialects, art forgeries - what was the other?) and one of the LRs involved curfews and juvenile crime... other than that, blank (and the writing sample, which I actually enjoyed - which of two Drs to testify at big pharm trial choice)

mehs

Postby mehs » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:07 pm

lsatter wrote:sorry :( I had two LGs, so the first of those was my experimental. Can barely remember any of the qs now - couple of the games, 3/4 reading passages (hominids, chinese american dialects, art forgeries - what was the other?) and one of the LRs involved curfews and juvenile crime... other than that, blank (and the writing sample, which I actually enjoyed - which of two Drs to testify at big pharm trial choice)

Last RC was about punitive bankruptcy laws I believe. Unless I'm thinking of a PT...it's all blending together now...

soccerplayer

Postby soccerplayer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:51 pm

The last RC was definitely about art forgeries, I only had one. If you took the exam somewhere else it must have been a different exam! Or you might be referring to the experimental section.

sheela

Postby sheela » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:37 pm

i took it in london! thank god i found this forum-- i've been dying to talk to other london testtakers, now that i realize our test was undisclosed! does anyone remember an LR involving air pollution and rain? I'm trying to figure out which of my sections was experimental..I had LR RC LR LR LG. Also there were some tricky questions in RC I thought...such as the analogy ish one in hominids...killer. I'm hoping for a kinder curve. Since our test is clearly not the same as the US test, do we get our own curve based on performance on this particular test?

lsatter

Postby lsatter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 am

Had air pollution and rain... also executives charged with financial misconduct, car thieves, gossip, and the deterrent value of punishment. (Not sure if they were all the same section) It's slowly dribbling its way back into the old noggin...

Spackledgoat

Postby Spackledgoat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:48 am

I took the test in Arad, Romania. It was the LC,LR,LC,LC,LG test with the forgeries, and RST. I felt the logic games weren't that hard, I was able to go over (and rediagram) each to confirm answers. The zoo question was a little "huh?" but I just took the answer that looked different than the others (as I was having difficulty deciding which was actually correct). It pisses me off that this test won't be disclosed, and that you can't ever know what you got wrong. What a pain! I felt the exam as a whole was easier than most of the PT's.. I just hope that my feeling translates into a high score.

reallyemo

Postby reallyemo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:40 am

I took it in Paris, LR, RC, LR, LR, LG!

I'm almost positive that the second LR was the experimental because there was a misspelling! How weird is that? They misspelled "portrait" as "potrait," and the question itself was TOTALLY bizarre. About people who take pictures with spirits in them? It was so weird. Anyone else have this?

Spackledgoat

Postby Spackledgoat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:04 pm

I had that question... I thought it was a little weird but not too strange in terms of normal questions. Whichever one it was, there was nothing too difficult in the first two. Did you also feel that it was a little lightweight compared to most PT's??

lotus924

Postby lotus924 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:04 pm

VERY lightweight.
This test - especially the LRs -did not seem to follow the question patterns of preptests 57-60
so many assumption and EXCEPT questions
and the grammar seemed a little funky....though I can't pinpoint exactly how and where
is LSAC getting sloppy because the overseas test is nondisclosed??
or are they subtly changing the types of questions to tailor to overseas takers - as was the rumor here in Korea since March

sojuteacher

Postby sojuteacher » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:10 pm

I took it in Korea and had the LG LR RC LR RC. For the real RC, the Bach and Squid sections were a bit tricky, but overall the test seemed far far easier to me than all of the recent PTs. I finished LG with 10 minutes to go so I went to the bathroom, and I had at least 5+ mins on the other section.

If there is a generous curve, I will be so so set. Was anyone surprised at the two questions per passage problems in the LR sections? It felt like I was taking the PTs in the 40s.

re the rumor about tailoring questions to overseas takers, I highly highly doubt that is the case, as law schools are not tailored to ESLs and so the aptitude test shouldn't be either. However, could the curve be a little more generous because of people's performance due to English comprehension?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”