Thinking about taking the test tmrw w/out my ADD meds Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Intimate

New

Thinking about taking the test tmrw w/out my ADD meds

Post by Intimate » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:50 pm

I was diagnosed with ADD about 2 years ago by, admittedly, a less than perfect shrink. I have been taking adderall on a need only basis, not everyday. When I study for the LSAT, however, I almost always take adderall. Although I have been studying for the LSAT while on adderall, I am thinking about not taking it tomorrow, or taking a milder dosage tomorrow so that I don't freak out like I did last February. I feel as though the adrenaline that'll be pumping in my system will be enough to keep me going strong, and that the extra adderall boost with be overkill. If by break time I feel a little fatigued, then I'll take a tiny dose of adderall (perhaps 2.5mg IR) during break to boost me back up to speed. Since it's impossible to replicate the real LSAT atmosphere, it's hard to "practice" this strategy, which is why I've come to you fine folk for a second opinion.

I am aware that I shouldn't add any variables on test day, but the tense atmosphere created by the LSAT is in itself an added variable which is impossible to replicate, which is why I'm trying to compensate by reducing the amount of speed in my system. I only take 7.5mg a day of immediate release, so my dosage is not high.

I just did 1 LR section from PT 58 without adderall, and scored 1 pt higher than the first time I took it and ended the section with 5 minutes left. I feel as though adderall makes me work slower for some reason. Another factor to consider is that I have never finished a section that quickly before, and time is probably my biggest issue.

I wish this insight would've hit me sooner so that I could've implemented this proposed plan of action earlier, but I plan on taking it again in December, so at least I'm better prepared for that now. :arrow:

rsd16

New

Re: Thinking about taking the test tmrw w/out my ADD meds

Post by rsd16 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:25 pm

If you studied on adderall, take it on adderall.

I was able to secure ten 15mg XR's and have used 9 of them to study over the past three weeks. I am saving that last one for tomorrow. As far as it being impossible to replicate testing conditions, I tried my best during PT's to do so- sitting at a similar desk that you would find in a classroom, timing myself accurately and making sure my room was absolutely quiet.

It's helped me. I took 4 PTs after adderall, and 2 without taking it, all after ample study time. I scored 159 (one stupid game), 165, 163 and 166 (my most recent) on it. The ones without, I scored 156 and 154. I did this because I too was worried that the adderall on test day would freak me out and destroy my chances of doing good. Overall I have come to the decision to take an addy tomorrow morning, 2 hours before the test so I can peak during the test. Like I said above, if you studied on it, you should take it on it. Your brain is used to studying on it, so why surprise it on the big day?

Whatever you do, best of luck my good sir.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:27 pm

rsd16 wrote: making sure my room was absolutely quiet.
Someone is about to take a stroll down disappointment lane.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:37 pm

I wouldn't take it but that's just me personally. I take 20mg IR daily and I have found even on diagnostics, the adrenaline is enough to keep me focused. obviously its a judgment call you are going to have to make yourself but i don't think its necessary.

will it hurt you? probably not. since your body is already acclimated to taking the medication and if you're taking it as prescribed, the effects will be hardly noticeable.

will it help you? maybe, maybe not. not really sure how badly you truly need it. seeing as you have said you take it on a need only basis and you only take 7.5mg, i am going to assume that you do not have as big of a problem focusing as you may think you do ;)

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 pm

rsd16 wrote:If you studied on adderall, take it on adderall.

I was able to secure ten 15mg XR's and have used 9 of them to study over the past three weeks. I am saving that last one for tomorrow. As far as it being impossible to replicate testing conditions, I tried my best during PT's to do so- sitting at a similar desk that you would find in a classroom, timing myself accurately and making sure my room was absolutely quiet.

It's helped me. I took 4 PTs after adderall, and 2 without taking it, all after ample study time. I scored 159 (one stupid game), 165, 163 and 166 (my most recent) on it. The ones without, I scored 156 and 154. I did this because I too was worried that the adderall on test day would freak me out and destroy my chances of doing good. Overall I have come to the decision to take an addy tomorrow morning, 2 hours before the test so I can peak during the test. Like I said above, if you studied on it, you should take it on it. Your brain is used to studying on it, so why surprise it on the big day?

Whatever you do, best of luck my good sir.
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:21 am

It's probably a bit late for this to make a difference, but I'll say it anyway.

Postpone your test to at least December (yeah, cancel or pull a no show) and then use the time to seek better psychiatric treatment and to re-evaluate your possible condition/use and need for such meds. You are playing with fire that can have serious ongoing consequences if not dealt with properly.

If you really think you are ADD/ADHD and need meds for that you should seek further psychiatric consults from doctors that specialize in treating it to work it out. Your mention of an adrenaline boost and getting more of that from a dose combined with PRN use doesn't match up well with how legit medical info describes the effect ADD/ADHD stimulant drugs have on people they are appropriate for.

You can start reading up about this topic and get many links to follow here:

http://www.addforums.com/

TonyStarks

New

Post by TonyStarks » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:54 pm

I really regret not taking my Adderall today, got frazzled at the end of the first section and it carried over into the second one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”