Take test tomorrow, then cancel?

shinyusername

Take test tomorrow, then cancel?

Postby shinyusername » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Okay, so I'm late to the game and need some guidance from the wise Internet voices.

I started ambitiously and seriously prepping in August, but, very quickly, job apps, interviews, and trips consumed my time and focus. I graduated in August, so finding a job became a necessary top priority and then I questioned whether I should pursue another career. Long story short, I definitely want to go to law school, but I've only been able to take a pathetic number of 5 PTs in the past two weeks and I'm scoring average, increasing a bit each time. I know I can do way, way better if I seriously commit to studying and I'm sure I have the time/drive from now til the Dec test. I'll probably score in the 150s tomorrow and I don't have a chance at getting into the schools I want to get into without at least 160. May seem nuts, but I have confidence in me being able to raise my score a lot before Dec.

I am concerned that taking the Dec test and waiting to apply to schools after then will hurt my acceptance chances, so that makes me consider taking Dec test, then June if necessary, then applying next year. But next year I'll have a real job and there's the fear of pushing law school back year after year.

So, should I cancel my score tomorrow regardless and then retake in Dec? Or accept whatever score and retake in Dec? Or cancel, retake in Dec or June, then apply next year?

I'm not even worried about tomorrow's test - I know I'm unprepared and won't do as well as I can...it's just all this strategizing of the test dates and application process that's getting to me now.

justadude55

Re: Take test tomorrow, then cancel?

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 pm

shinyusername wrote:Okay, so I'm late to the game and need some guidance from the wise Internet voices.

I started ambitiously and seriously prepping in August, but, very quickly, job apps, interviews, and trips consumed my time and focus. I graduated in August, so finding a job became a necessary top priority and then I questioned whether I should pursue another career. Long story short, I definitely want to go to law school, but I've only been able to take a pathetic number of 5 PTs in the past two weeks and I'm scoring average, increasing a bit each time. I know I can do way, way better if I seriously commit to studying and I'm sure I have the time/drive from now til the Dec test. I'll probably score in the 150s tomorrow and I don't have a chance at getting into the schools I want to get into without at least 160. May seem nuts, but I have confidence in me being able to raise my score a lot before Dec.

I am concerned that taking the Dec test and waiting to apply to schools after then will hurt my acceptance chances, so that makes me consider taking Dec test, then June if necessary, then applying next year. But next year I'll have a real job and there's the fear of pushing law school back year after year.

So, should I cancel my score tomorrow regardless and then retake in Dec? Or accept whatever score and retake in Dec? Or cancel, retake in Dec or June, then apply next year?

I'm not even worried about tomorrow's test - I know I'm unprepared and won't do as well as I can...it's just all this strategizing of the test dates and application process that's getting to me now.

5 PTs in 2 weeks isn't bad. That's more than most people.

But if you NEED a 160, and haven't hit a 160, it is naive to think you'll shoot up on the real thing when it has been getting progressively harder.

Better advise would be to be absent, because an absence isn't read into and doesn't count for anything. 2 absences might be read into, but an absence looks better than a cancellation, not that a cancellation is that bad.

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:19 pm

I agree with Just. Walk away and take the next 6-7 weeks to build your performance as well as your confidence. Then kick ass.

Intimate

Postby Intimate » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. I feel as though I'm forcing the test tomorrow even though I've studied for months.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”