Test Day and Diabetes

jets098

Test Day and Diabetes

Postby jets098 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:56 pm

I have Type 1 Diabetes and I am taking the lsats tomorrow morning. I wear an insulin pump and a continuous glucose monitor which are both electronic devices which I need to keep on me. I can keep them in my plastic bag but I would like to keep my continuous glucose monitor on me just in case I feel my blood sugar dropping. Also, I would need to keep glucose tabs on me in case my blood sugar drops. Do you guys think this would be okay since they are medical supplies?

lsatextreme

Re: Test Day and Diabetes

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:01 pm

not to cause you any unintended panic or anything, but this might have been good to ask LSAC a while back for accomodations or what not.

I called and asked about whether I can wear a wrist splint I received from my doctor for an injury I sustained recently, and they told me that it's entirely up to the proctor whether they'll allow it or not.

jets098

Postby jets098 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:04 pm

lsatextreme wrote:not to cause you any unintended panic or anything, but this might have been good to ask LSAC a while back for accomodations or what not.

I called and asked about whether I can wear a wrist splint I received from my doctor for an injury I sustained recently, and they told me that it's entirely up to the proctor whether they'll allow it or not.

Yeah, I probably should have and usually I don't let anything go until the last minute but I just figured that a medical condition like diabetes is so common that I would probably be fine.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:35 pm

I think you should be fine. Make sure to get there early so you can talk to a proctor about how these things are NECESSARY for you to have to keep you in good health.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:42 pm

jets526 wrote:I have Type 1 Diabetes and I am taking the lsats tomorrow morning. I wear an insulin pump and a continuous glucose monitor which are both electronic devices which I need to keep on me. I can keep them in my plastic bag but I would like to keep my continuous glucose monitor on me just in case I feel my blood sugar dropping. Also, I would need to keep glucose tabs on me in case my blood sugar drops. Do you guys think this would be okay since they are medical supplies?

Jets: I know people with this condition, and do have to say, you did yourself and the test center a major disservice by not notifying LSAC before hand.

What would be smart at this point is to do the following:

Retrieve a doctor's letter referring to your Diabetes (if you have one), and bring it to the test center. Go to the person in charge, and politely show it to them as well as mention your medical requirements.

The insulin pump is the big concern here, because it is electronic which is why you should have handled this earlier. Hopefully, the test center will be forgiving with it. If it is at a university, speak to someone in a leadership role: they will likely be among the most educated and rational people you'll find there, and will probably try to help.

Arrive early. They'll be much less accommodating when a million people ask them.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:46 pm

lsatextreme wrote:not to cause you any unintended panic or anything, but this might have been good to ask LSAC a while back for accomodations or what not.

yeah, but if you know anything about jets' condition, dude can't just remove his pump and expect normal results. if the mofo's stressed, his blood sugar's gonna dance like a mother, and he'll need insulin or glucose to bring the shaz back to normal.

however, yes, it is electronic. yes, if you can use a digital watch to cheat, you sure as hell can cheat on a giant alien "medical" devise (these 10 dollar/hour individuals might not know what it is). LSAC is very clear on their guidelines on the sheet, but if they don't accommodate you, just leave (don't sign in), take the absence and addendum it. don't lose a score cancellation over your illness. that's not fair play.

jets098

Postby jets098 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I never really thought about this until tonight just because I couldn't imagine them denying me entry because of a medical condition (especially one as common as diabetes) because that just seems absurd. I am going to get there extra early tomorrow and talk to them. If necessary, I can run back to my car and leave my monitors in there and just hope nothing malfunctions during the test (which has a very very small chance of happening).

jets098

Postby jets098 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 pm

It also says that medical products are allowed in the plastic bag so I assume I can just keep it in there.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 pm

jets526 wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys. I never really thought about this until tonight just because I couldn't imagine them denying me entry because of a medical condition (especially one as common as diabetes) because that just seems absurd. I am going to get there extra early tomorrow and talk to them. If necessary, I can run back to my car and leave my monitors in there and just hope nothing malfunctions during the test (which has a very very small chance of happening).

well, don't know if a 0L is the best source of legal argumentation but yes:

The Civil Rights Act does ensure you an equal chance, and that your Diabetes must be accommodated.

But they did give you an opportunity to be accommodated in the months leading up to the test with a simple phone call. As per the devise, this is their realistic concern to ensure people don't take advantage of the fact Diabetes exists to gain an unfair advantage.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 pm

justadude55 wrote:
jets526 wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys. I never really thought about this until tonight just because I couldn't imagine them denying me entry because of a medical condition (especially one as common as diabetes) because that just seems absurd. I am going to get there extra early tomorrow and talk to them. If necessary, I can run back to my car and leave my monitors in there and just hope nothing malfunctions during the test (which has a very very small chance of happening).

The Civil Rights Act does ensure you an equal chance, and that your Diabetes must be accommodated.

But they did give you an opportunity to be accommodated in the months leading up to the test with a simple phone call. As per the devise, this is their realistic concern to ensure people don't take advantage of the fact Diabetes exists to gain an unfair advantage.

I think you may mean the Americans with Disabilities Act.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:30 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

actually, i think the civil rights says this. diabetes isn't a disability unless it leads to secondary conditions that are disabilities (blindness, paralysis, etc.) as long as their blood sugar is regulated, their lives are completely normal and unaffected by the condition.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:34 pm

justadude55 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

actually, i think the civil rights says this. diabetes isn't a disability unless it leads to secondary conditions that are disabilities (blindness, paralysis, etc.) as long as their blood sugar is regulated, their lives are completely normal and unaffected by the condition.

No, the Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin, and even then only for specific circumstances such as employment, public facilities access, public schools, and voting.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm

again, 0L

jets098

Postby jets098 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:42 pm

justadude55 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

Have to strongly disagree with that last statement but that's not really the issue.

I feel a lot better after reading the material and seeing it says that medical supplies are allowed in my plastic bag. I can just keep everything in there until the break.

jets098

Postby jets098 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I had no problems today. I just told the proctor that I needed to keep it on me and he inspected it and said he would prefer if he could hold it. I told him that I would prefer to keep it on me because it was a medical device and that since it was necessary for me to live I didn't think that was unreasonable. They were all understanding and it worked out great. Now I just wait for the score!

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:34 pm

jets526 wrote:Thanks for all the advice everybody. I had no problems today. I just told the proctor that I needed to keep it on me and he inspected it and said he would prefer if he could hold it. I told him that I would prefer to keep it on me because it was a medical device and that since it was necessary for me to live I didn't think that was unreasonable. They were all understanding and it worked out great. Now I just wait for the score!

sweet gl!!!!!!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”