Low score vs canceled score

Stayqued

Low score vs canceled score

Postby Stayqued » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Hey all,

I'm taking the LSAT tomorrow, and, after getting on this board only recently, have come to the conclusion that my preparations for this upcoming LSAT were pretty awful. I'm scoring around 160 on the practice tests I've been doing this week, but these are the only practice tests I've EVER done during the 2 months I was studying previously. Beyond that, I had done some review here and there, but only during the last month did I really put in time and effort, and I've seen myself improve dramatically.

For this reason, I know I'll continue to study and retake in December, aiming to score around 170 as a result of putting in not only more effort, but more focused effort, and slightly altering Pithy Pike's method for myself.

Knowing this, does anyone have any recommendations as to whether I should take the grade or cancel?

I would assume canceling to be the best option, as, since I've NEVER scored my target 170 on the 3-4 PT I've taken, it is near impossible for me to get it on this test.

Also, and this is just an assumption, but I would imagine that regardless of what they say, law schools will still look at someone with a 157 and a 170 slightly differently than someone with a C and a 170.

Any advice?

asdfqwer1234

Re: Low score vs canceled score

Postby asdfqwer1234 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:14 pm

If you are that confident that you will get around 170, why not take the test and get a 160 this time. Almost all the schools look at the higher score. (Cornell takes higher score if the difference is more than 3, Michigan takes higher score if the gap is more than 5~6). So if you are likely to get a 160 this time, and get a 170 on December, it wouldn't have any difference to a C/170. If you get lucky and get a 166 tomorrow, and 170 on December, they might average the scores (166+170)/2 = 168.

Stayqued wrote:Hey all,

I'm taking the LSAT tomorrow, and, after getting on this board only recently, have come to the conclusion that my preparations for this upcoming LSAT were pretty awful. I'm scoring around 160 on the practice tests I've been doing this week, but these are the only practice tests I've EVER done during the 2 months I was studying previously. Beyond that, I had done some review here and there, but only during the last month did I really put in time and effort, and I've seen myself improve dramatically.

For this reason, I know I'll continue to study and retake in December, aiming to score around 170 as a result of putting in not only more effort, but more focused effort, and slightly altering Pithy Pike's method for myself.

Knowing this, does anyone have any recommendations as to whether I should take the grade or cancel?

I would assume canceling to be the best option, as, since I've NEVER scored my target 170 on the 3-4 PT I've taken, it is near impossible for me to get it on this test.

Also, and this is just an assumption, but I would imagine that regardless of what they say, law schools will still look at someone with a 157 and a 170 slightly differently than someone with a C and a 170.

Any advice?

Stayqued

Postby Stayqued » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Yeah, my worry would be to luck out, get a higher score than my PTs, and then hit December and be unlucky, and score something like 164 first test and 168 second, which isn't a big difference.

I'm leaning towards cancelling for this reason.

Intimate

Postby Intimate » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Absence.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”