Tiny desk strategy

enkisdom

Tiny desk strategy

Postby enkisdom » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 am

When I checked out my test center yesterday (Northwestern, Technological Institute) I noticed that they had those tiny desks with barely enough space for one notebook. There's nowhere near enough room for pencils, sharpener, booklet, and bubble sheet. What strategies have people used to deal with the space restriction? I was considering trying to pull two desks together, but I doubt that the proctor will allow that.

AP-375

Re: Tiny desk strategy

Postby AP-375 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 am

My situation is bad too. I'm in an auditorium with those little flip up writing surfaces, about the size of a notebook. I'm just planning on dealing with it.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:24 am

enkisdom wrote:When I checked out my test center yesterday (Northwestern, Technological Institute) I noticed that they had those tiny desks with barely enough space for one notebook. There's nowhere near enough room for pencils, sharpener, booklet, and bubble sheet. What strategies have people used to deal with the space restriction? I was considering trying to pull two desks together, but I doubt that the proctor will allow that.

Keep your penciles etc in your lap. Booklet and buble sheet shouldn't be a problem. You just don't sprawl out. You put the bubble sheet on top of the booklet.

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:54 am

Hopefully because I checked left-handed when I registered, I won't get stuck in a middle seat with a right-side writing surface. That would screw me up even more than the size.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:58 am

enkisdom wrote:When I checked out my test center yesterday (Northwestern, Technological Institute) I noticed that they had those tiny desks with barely enough space for one notebook. There's nowhere near enough room for pencils, sharpener, booklet, and bubble sheet. What strategies have people used to deal with the space restriction? I was considering trying to pull two desks together, but I doubt that the proctor will allow that.

Noooo...I am taking it there too. I took it at DePaul in June and the desks were very small as well. It adds another element to the test but its not impossible to deal with.
The only thing is..sometimes where you meet isn't where you take the actual exam. In June, we met at one building at DePaul for sign-in and then they split us into groups and took us to different buildings to take the test...so we are not necessarily taking it at the Technological Institute. Most likely though.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Keep your penciles etc in your lap. Booklet and buble sheet shouldn't be a problem. You just don't sprawl out. You put the bubble sheet on top of the booklet.

+1. It's inconvenient, but won't affect your score one way or the other.

WithoutMe

Postby WithoutMe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Went to my test site monday classroom desks are huge. And some classrooms even have rectangular tables where you could fit like 4 people. =)

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:51 pm

they'll have you separated from others and USUALLY allow you to use the surface at the desk next to you. At yale, they have desks that can flip either way (for the leftys) and let you use yours and one next to you.

ALL THAT SAID my biggest worry is belly space. I'm not huge, but I don't always fit comfortably with those flip desks.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 pm

beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Maybe for some people. I lost around 3 points because of those damn desks. So, I'm retaking with a larger desk this time.

enkisdom

Postby enkisdom » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:29 pm

nsideirish wrote:

Noooo...I am taking it there too. I took it at DePaul in June and the desks were very small as well. It adds another element to the test but its not impossible to deal with.
The only thing is..sometimes where you meet isn't where you take the actual exam. In June, we met at one building at DePaul for sign-in and then they split us into groups and took us to different buildings to take the test...so we are not necessarily taking it at the Technological Institute. Most likely though.

Hope that's the case, or that we'll be in some table room that I didn't find.

Mostly I'm worried about dropping the booklet or sheet while switching and breaking my rhythm. I guess I'll just have to be careful and adapt quickly. The administrative period should give me some time to attune myself.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Cotton headband or wristband for pencils?

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:00 pm

ohlawl wrote:Hopefully because I checked left-handed when I registered, I won't get stuck in a middle seat with a right-side writing surface. That would screw me up even more than the size.

Be prepared. I'm a lefty but I had to use a right-hand desk in June. Try not and let it affect you.

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:they'll have you separated from others and USUALLY allow you to use the surface at the desk next to you. At yale, they have desks that can flip either way (for the leftys) and let you use yours and one next to you.

ALL THAT SAID my biggest worry is belly space. I'm not huge, but I don't always fit comfortably with those flip desks.

Just to reinforce, I took the test in June at Case Western and we were allowed to use the adjacent desk as well.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:06 pm

KevinP wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Maybe for some people. I lost around 3 points because of those damn desks. So, I'm retaking with a larger desk this time.

That's not why you didn't get those three points.

shanemahsa

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Finish two facing pages of work before bubbling. This eliminates having to shuffle around a lot, wasting time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”