choking on logic games... hard

getemgoon

choking on logic games... hard

Postby getemgoon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:55 am

I know LG's, the different types, etc.. but for some reason, from pt 56-60, I kept choking/freezing. It's become a mental block and for 59/60 I was around -10 on LG, when before I would get -3 at most (bc of silly mistakes). Now, I just freeze and it's killing me.

Any suggestions/encouraging words before Saturday? I think I need assurance. I know the material, I just can't seem to execute it...

typ3

Re: choking on logic games... hard

Postby typ3 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:57 am

Here's a tip. Go to bed.

If you're locked up the only thing you can do is take your mind off of it. The best way to learn information and retain your edge is to sleep. Seriously, lock ups happen when you're burning out. Take some time off before Saturday.

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:55 am

What I usually do when I feel lost while working a game is immediately start writing hypotheticals. Generally you will notice an inference pretty quickly after that which will get you back on track.

Also keep in mind that every game provides enough information to answer every question. There is no reason to feel hopeless. Sometimes the inferences are intuitive and sometimes they need to be worked out. Often when you need to work out a major inference, that inference alone will allow you to fly through the rest of the questions. Don't allow any game to intimidate you.

Good luck on Saturday.

getemgoon

Postby getemgoon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Thank you so much!!

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Generally you will notice an inference pretty quickly after that which will get you back on tr

+1

Also, I personally found all those PTs to be really difficult the first time I did them (the LG sections that is) whereas the other sections were MUCH easier than usual. I'm sure others will argue.

ANYWAY, I found that I had over-practiced my methodologies and that these newer games use the same ideas as always, but in different ways. The stone/mulch game or the Dino game are both great examples of this. Anyway, I never did the dino before my June test, but when I did it this week, I just used one hypothetical, made a game-changing inference, and finished it in 7 min. and LG is my weakness.

On the actual June test I struggled for a few minutes on the mulch game, said screw this, and did a bunch of hypos. I was able to do all but one question based on those.

ONE QUICK TIP- if you want to optimize time, look at the questions quickly- you may notice that they are mostly hypothetical driven anyway, "If X is selected 4th..." In that case, maybe just do one of those questions first.

getemgoon

Postby getemgoon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 pm

@ post above:

that's exactly what happened to me, i've done the same games over and over so when i see a new one. i freeze.. but the concepts are the same, i know how to do it. just gotta get it done tom!! gluck to every1 taking it

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”