60, LR1, Q7

lsatextreme

60, LR1, Q7

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:14 am

This question is confusing as shit to me. It says that weakened immune system increase vulnerability to cancer, so does literally mean what it says or does it mean that it increases vulnerability to those who already have cancer? If it mean literally what it says, then what does it matter if their stress levels are reduced if they already have cancer (I mean, it's a cancer-patient support group right?)

gdane

Re: 60, LR1, Q7

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:20 am

Youre confusing yourself. This one is very simple.

The argument is trying to tie a weakened immune system to stress. It ends by saying that these support groups could help because they lower stress levels. Link the bridge. Whats missing? The assumption that lowering stress levels can lead to a less weakened immune system.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:25 am

I took it as for those who have cancer or possibly HAVE had it in the past might fit better according to the language in the problem (although there's no direct support for that)

Anyway:

Immune weakened -> Vulnerable to cancer
Cancer-patient support group participation -> Reduction in stress

Conclusion:
Cancer-patient support group participation -> Beneficial for cancer treatment (OR: Reduced vulnerability to cancer)

It's a bit of a weird one, but the obvious connection then becomes something that reads like "reduction in stress -> stronger immune system". This means we can immediately eliminate A, B, D.
Note that E states what we're looking for, but in the OPPOSITE direction, which means C must be the correct answer.

Spinach Lover

Postby Spinach Lover » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:11 pm

incompetentia wrote:I took it as for those who have cancer or possibly HAVE had it in the past might fit better according to the language in the problem (although there's no direct support for that)

Anyway:

Immune weakened -> Vulnerable to cancer
Cancer-patient support group participation -> Reduction in stress

Conclusion:
Cancer-patient support group participation -> Beneficial for cancer treatment (OR: Reduced vulnerability to cancer)

It's a bit of a weird one, but the obvious connection then becomes something that reads like "reduction in stress -> stronger immune system". This means we can immediately eliminate A, B, D.
Note that E states what we're looking for, but in the OPPOSITE direction, which means C must be the correct answer.

I was not sure between C and E. But your post has helped me see why C is better than E. Suppose condition A is a symptom of condition B. Then, even if we know for sure that activity C reduces A, we can not thereby infer that C reduces or helps relieve B. So E does not work.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”