Analog Watch, Beneficial or Distracting

arean.ryan

Analog Watch, Beneficial or Distracting

Postby arean.ryan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:03 pm

I am debating if I should wear a watch to the test this Saturday. I didn't wear one during PTs just set my phone alarm to 35 minutes, naturally ended within 30 seconds time. I'm worried if I suddenly have an clock on my wrist I will have an additional distraction and take away focus from questions and answers. Anyone have advice from previous experience about a predicament of this sorts?

enkisdom

Re: Analog Watch, Beneficial or Distracting

Postby enkisdom » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

I brought an analog to the June LSAT. Honestly, I barely used it, but it was nice to have around. My practice routine also involved my cell phone alarm, so I was accustomed to looking at the time after my first pass through a section.

My advice is to bring the watch and put it on the table, if you have space. If you have a tiny desk, you might want to just put it in your bag and forget about it. Better to have it and not want it, you know?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:10 pm

You're probably going to take longer per section than on PT's. If you have the self control not to be neurotic then I would have it. Then again, that you started this thread would make me question that neuroticism.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:16 pm

bk1 wrote:You're probably going to take longer per section than on PT's. If you have the self control not to be neurotic then I would have it. Then again, that you started this thread would make me question that neuroticism.

eh just wanted to see how it worked out from those who went through my thought process, I'm not nearly as nervous as everyone on here seems to be..but it still isn't 24 hours away. For some reason I have these sick thoughts of over-confidence in my mind that I'm gonna go into GULC and wreck that motherf***er.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:19 pm

I wore one all through my PTing so I will do so on test day as well. I check it after question 10, 20 and then when I'm done. Except on LG where I check it after I turn the page.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Planning to bring a watch and just leave it on the desk. Obviously won't have the same effect as a countdown timer but I referred to it probably 2-3 times per section at most so I figure for that purpose it's fine

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:09 pm

I just bought one earlier this week and used it on a couple PT's; it's helpful to me b/c I typically finish early and hate to have the "5 minutes!" announcement creep up. The watch I got is a cheapo ($12), but it keeps the time accurately and has one of those rotating things around the edge that functions kind of like a timer (immensely useful b/c all you have to do is look for the 35' mark instead of adding in your head). I'm planning on leaving it on the desk with the face of the watch pointing away from me--I've found having it facing me freaks me out while I test. Having said all that, I have a semi-strict guideline for when to check the time: question 19 on LR; end of 3rd game on LG; and before the 4th passage of RC.

Postby 2014 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:05 pm

I check time after game 2, after question 15 and at the end of LR (I always finish with 5 or so min left), and after RC passage 2.

My goal then for time is 15 in 15 for LR, 8:45 a passage on RC since I'm weak at it (Also I want to have finished the last passage when 5 min is called) and LG is just as fast as possible but certainly be well into the questions on the last game by 5 min.

I would suggest having a watch tho.

lucaspenick.com

Postby lucaspenick.com » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Employing an analog wristwatch can be an important hedge against the risk that a proctor incorrectly calls time early. In the event a proctor calls time early in your section, would you even know? What would you be able to do if you had no timepiece? A timepiece can help you manage your pacing strategy, especially if an unexpectedly confusing question pops up on exam day, disrupting your plan (consider that the test is continually evolving; just look how different the 90s tests are from contemporary LSATs).

I usually stop the watch to set it with the second hand at the 12, then set the time to 11:25. When the proctor says, "You may turn the page and begin section one," I push the knob in which resumes movement of the second hand. When all hands point to 12 again, my time will be up. When the hands are about to line up again, I conclude my work on the section, pull the knob out and reset the watch to 11:25 for the next section while the proctor reads the instructions for the next section.

If you are concerned a watch might disrupt a pattern of using an electronic timer, I recommend that you practice with the tools you will have available to you on game day, and prepare for any possible disruption in your plan. After all, as valuable as your law school career is to you, isn't it worth it to confirm the day before the exam, for example, that you know how to get to the test facility (preferably by driving there), that your spare tire has air in it, and so forth?

Proctors have called time early in sections before. While we are are grateful to proctors for their diligence, which protects us from those who abuse the system by cheating, and for their consideration in calmly and professionally administering the exam, they are not perfect.

If a proctor were to call time early in my section, I would raise my hand immediately, and announce clearly and loudly for the room to hear, "We have x minutes remaining." Then I would look around the room to see who else is with me, in case there might be a dispute with LSAC requiring witnesses.

I would hate for a student who had dedicated himself or herself to earning an outstanding score on a difficult test to be forced to retake due to an error in test administration procedures.

yours,

Lucas Penick, Tutor
ACT, DAT-PA, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT-V, PSAT & SAT

"If we are all students, we also are all teachers."
Last edited by lucaspenick.com on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:18 pm

lucaspenick.com wrote:yours,

Lucas Penick, Tutor
ACT, DAT-PA, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT-V, PSAT & SAT

"If we are all students, we also are all teachers."
http://www.spam.com

Removed spam URL; will also remove poster if this continues.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:41 pm

hate to have the "5 minutes!" announcement creep up

This.

In june I had mine, but the proctor put up a big timer on the projection screen. Nonetheless the "5-minutes" thing inevitably would scare the shit out of me and break my flow, except when I happened to look up and saw it was coming up. That alone likely purchased an additional 30 seconds of interruption and confusion. Try being in the middle of a long parallel flaw question and reading the answers and have this shake you.

Anyway, I echo the idea that you should only really look if you are worried on time during a specifically tough area. Like if you are on the 3rd LG and its kicking your ass, look at the watch and if you have less than 6-7 minutes, perhaps its time to make some educated guesses and move on. It seems a trend recently that the 4th LG is more taxing, but the 3rd is the one where so much rides on one "trick" and can suck up WAY too much time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”