Sick - Need Advice

Moral_Midgetry

Sick - Need Advice

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Here's the situation: I'm sick and don't think I'll be well enough to give it all I have Saturday. I took PT 59 this morning and scored a 155 which is ten points below my average (165). My timing was way off and I had to re-read a lot. I usually finish every section with time to review and on this PT I had to guess on 3-5 each section.

If I don't feel better I'm thinking I should take an absence, but there are a few problems. I took the test in 9/09 and got a 154. I registered for the June 2010 test to try to get off some waitlists but decided I should continue prepping because my PT average was only a 160 and I thought I could do better with the extra time since I was most likely going to have to reapply anyway. I missed the test move date and took an absence. So this (10/10) would be my second absence. I don't have any remaining test materials except for PT 60 (and eventually PT 61) to prep with, I don't want to be behind in admissions, and I'm afraid another absence will look bad on my app. But I don't think it will look worse than another bad score. It isn't worth the risk. I'm looking for someone to confirm this.

psychlaw

Re: Sick - Need Advice

Postby psychlaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:39 pm

What are your symptoms?

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:55 pm

If you feel weak and achy, and suspect that it may be viral...induce a "fever" to try to kill of the virus. When you get sick your body raises and lowers your body temperature in quick succession...aka a fever. It does in an attempt to kill the virus, which—for a lot of strains—needs to be at a constant and/or certain temperature.

If you do not already have a fever: throughout today and tomorrow do things (exercise excluded) that will raise your body temperature (covering yourself up with 2 or 5 blankets and sweating, hottest tolerable shower for a long period of time (45 min., sauna, hot-tub, or wear a bunch of layers and a coat and crank up the heat while drinking a hot beverage). When you feel like you cannot stand it anymore, take a brief ice-cold shower (don't give yourself pneumonia). Repeat this as often as feasible throughout the day.

If you already have a fever: your body will be shifting temperatures to kill the virus on its own. Do not take fever reducing medication unless your temp. gets dangerously high (over 103.0 for adults). Do not counteract these temperature-swings in an attempt to make yourself comfortable. I.E. If your fever has made you start to shiver, just sit there and be cold...if you feel hot and are sweating, don't attempt to cool yourself off. This will make your fever more "effective" at combating whatever it's combating.

Additionally, if you are coughing or sneezing do not take cough suppressants or an antihistamine; these will both inhibit
"normal" brain function and prevent your body from expelling whatever it is trying to expel. However, if you are having clogged sinuses do take a guaifenesin (commonly known as Mucinex). Clogged sinuses can lead to a sinus infection and do not have any positive aspects.

I am not a doctor, nor do I hold a position which qualifies me to give medical advice, so follow this advice at your own risk

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:00 pm

See a doctor.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:14 pm

I appreciate the medical advice but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for advice relevant to whether or not I should try to take it although I'm sick and it negatively impacted my performance today or if I should instead take an absence and register for December.

I went to the doctor this afternoon. He thinks I have a sinus infection, respiratory infection or a variation of both. He gave me a "Z pack" and said I should feel better in a few days but he doubted I would feel 100% on Saturday and left it to my discretion whether or not I should take it anyway.

So if I don't feel I can perform to my potential Saturday, even considering the circumstances (ie. 2nd absence, lack of fresh study material to prep with for Dec, ect), the smart thing to do would be wait until December, right?

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:23 pm

I would also considering taking it Saturday and canceling to see what happens. But I'm worried that if I do cancel that puts a lot of pressure on me for December and that it will look even worse than a absence. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Don't feel bad about PT 59 - I scored 16 pts. under my high score for the last 50 PTs I've taken.

If you are indeed sick, though, and just don't want to try the LSAT... then I would go with a Cancel. Write the LSAT, get the experience, but cancel the score. There'll be some nice "Third times a charm" action on your LSAT score report too, with one Absence, one Cancel, and one reportable score! I honestly think 2 Absences looks worse than 1 Absence and 1 Cancel. And this way, you'd get hands-on experience for the LSAT. You already paid for it... Go take it.

But don't judge your performance based on one dumb PT. PT59 had more scientific/specialized jargon than I'd ever seen on any previous PT and threw me for a loop, and likely did the same for you!

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:20 pm

If you have a sinus infection you may be feeling better by Sat. The Z pack is actually a miracle drug and cleared up my sinus infection in two days or so. Also, drink water like it is your job. Go to bed early. Saturday is not here yet. You can wait and see until then. Also, I'd probably just take it and cancel it if you think you bombed it. The benefits of getting your application out early far out weigh the risks of having a potential cancel on your score report.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Don't feel bad about PT 59 - I scored 16 pts. under my high score for the last 50 PTs I've taken.

If you are indeed sick, though, and just don't want to try the LSAT... then I would go with a Cancel. Write the LSAT, get the experience, but cancel the score. There'll be some nice "Third times a charm" action on your LSAT score report too, with one Absence, one Cancel, and one reportable score! I honestly think 2 Absences looks worse than 1 Absence and 1 Cancel. And this way, you'd get hands-on experience for the LSAT. You already paid for it... Go take it.

But don't judge your performance based on one dumb PT. PT59 had more scientific/specialized jargon than I'd ever seen on any previous PT and threw me for a loop, and likely did the same for you!

I don't really feel bad about PT59. I know I was not 100% and could tell. My timing was way off, I was having to re-read a lot more than usual, and I had to guess on 3-5 per section (5 for both RC and LG which is way outside the norm especially for LG where I'm usually -0). Usually (over the last 20 or so PTs) I finish all the sections early, almost never having to guess, and able to review difficult questions.

If I take it this Saturday and cancel I will have used up 2/3 of my test eligibility since I took it 9/2009 (154, shitty, I know). If, God forbid, I have to cancel in December too, I would not be eligible to retake until 9/2011. I guess what I'm saying is that I want some remaining test eligibility in my back pocket when I take it at 100%, rather than take it being sick, increasing the likelihood of a cancel, and have my back against the wall for December.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:40 pm

deadhipsters wrote:If you have a sinus infection you may be feeling better by Sat. The Z pack is actually a miracle drug and cleared up my sinus infection in two days or so. Also, drink water like it is your job. Go to bed early. Saturday is not here yet. You can wait and see until then. Also, I'd probably just take it and cancel it if you think you bombed it. The benefits of getting your application out early far out weigh the risks of having a potential cancel on your score report.

Does anyone else think the benefits of getting an application out early far outweigh the risks of a potential cancel? I've always thought the opposite.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:23 pm

If you honestly had to cancel/no show ANOTHER LSAT in December, it might be a sign...

Just kidding. Kinda. I'm weird like that.

That said, absences DON'T count against the 3-strikes limit, that's true, and if you feel truly awful, you could no-show it. But at some point you're going to have to face the LSAT monster and slay it. This could just be anxiety taking a physiological toll?

Re: Early app. vs no show... EVERYTHING I've ever heard on TLS and my pre-law advisor at my UG suggests that indeed, early apps make all the difference in the world sometimes, especially so if you're on the cusp of borders (Like 50th/50th or something). The more apps the AdComs see on a rolling basis, the lower you're possibly going to be, the more spots are already filling up, etc. Look at the law school acceptance graph of dates, and you can see that early apps are really important!

alex_cryp

Postby alex_cryp » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:38 am

I think you should take the test. I was stomach sick the night before the test and the morning of. 2 hours before the test I decided I couldn't go, then I started to feel better. I went to the test center fully expecting to have to stop half way through or cancel, but I made it. I felt okay enough about it to let it ride. I ended up scoring just one point below my highest PT. I think being sick actually helped me because I went in with no expectations and therefore no nerves. Everyone is different but can you imagine the kind of pressure you'll be under in December if you don't at least try now?

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 am

"I don't really feel bad about PT59. I know I was not 100% and could tell. My timing was way off, I was having to re-read a lot more than usual, and I had to guess on 3-5 per section (5 for both RC and LG which is way outside the norm especially for LG where I'm usually -0). Usually (over the last 20 or so PTs) I finish all the sections early, almost never having to guess, and able to review difficult questions.

If I take it this Saturday and cancel I will have used up 2/3 of my test eligibility since I took it 9/2009 (154, shitty, I know). If, God forbid, I have to cancel in December too, I would not be eligible to retake until 9/2011. I guess what I'm saying is that I want some remaining test eligibility in my back pocket when I take it at 100%, rather than take it being sick, increasing the likelihood of a cancel, and have my back against the wall for December.[/quote] "

It seems as if you already know what you want to do/have made your decision!

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:01 pm

I think I'll be okay to take it at this point. I'm not 100% but I'm feeling better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”