Conclusion/Additional Premise Indicators

Conclusion/Additional Premise Indicators

Postby e10 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:53 am

Quick question...I know in the PS LR Bible it says that words like however are counter premise indicators, but I feel these words can introduce conclusions also. Am I completely wrong?

Re: Conclusion/Additional Premise Indicators

Postby Er6297 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:27 am

Yea you are right, those lists are just for most circumstances. Also remember that Afterall can function as an API or a Conclusion indicator

Re: Conclusion/Additional Premise Indicators

Postby Jeffort » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Knowing the words commonly used as premise, counter premise or conclusion indicators is important to make it easier to break down/parse arguments but are not a 'cure all quick fix' to allow you to get lazy with the analysis of an argument without digesting and thinking about it.

They are good sign posts to help speed up the thinking and analysis but you still have to understand and recognize the structure/relationships of the presented pieces in the full context in which they are presented to make sure you have a firm grasp of the method of reasoning employed by the argument. Whether or not a conclusion is introduced with an indicator word it will be a statement that something else in the argument (a premise) lends or tries to lend support for.

It's a matter of proof. Why am I supposed to believe XYZ is true? Because of PDQ. Every conclusion has at least one premise that lends some support to try and prove it is a true/justified/proven statement.

'however' always indicates a change in direction in the argument (typically a counter premise) but does not by itself necessarily indicate that what follows is a counter premise or alternatively a conclusion. The context is needed to determine how the statement following 'however' functions in the reasoning structure of the argument.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”