Hard Parallel Reasoning Questions

saveferris

Hard Parallel Reasoning Questions

Postby saveferris » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 am

Do you guys have any tips for the challenging Parallel Reasoning questions? I usually save these until the end just because they take so much time, and rarely have time to fully diagram the stimulus and the appealing answer choices. I can normally cross off 2 or 3 without much consideration, but in those last few minutes, how can I best choose the right answer without diagramming the remaining answer choices??

Hedwig

Re: Hard Parallel Reasoning Questions

Postby Hedwig » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:40 am

I sometimes don't diagram but rather sort of think out abstractly or in general terms what's going on in the stimulus. Like, tracking a change from them saying "most of cats that go up in trees are blue, Fred's cats like go to up in trees, therefore, all of Fred's cats must be blue" and sort of try to abstract that out to the rest of the stimulus... it's kind of a personal adaptation I've worked out for those, so I'm not sure if that'll be any help, but yeah, that's how I do them.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 am

The Conclusion (can vs. must vs. should vs. will vs. etc) can obviously offer you a LOT of help and allow you to cross off at least 2-3 answers. From there you are really only have to compare a few. I read through it once, eliminate the questions with non-parallel conclusions, and from there it can be pretty instinctual.

HTH

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Out of all the question types, I feel that Parallel questions are the most unexplainable and the ones on which you go with your gut.

Usually, 2 (sometimes even 3) A/Cs are easily thrown out because of their structure. They're usually obviously way different than the stimulus' structure that you don't even need to comprehend them. Then, when you have 2-3 left, you can start looking for those key words like "could", "must", or "only". You could also make quick diagrams. Making them for 5 A/Cs is ludicrous and overly time-consuming, but when you're down to 2 choices, then it's a good way to be absolutely certain of your answer.

saveferris

Postby saveferris » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks, guys! Will def try those, and not worry as much about diagramming.

Btw, eit, i can hear Blair Waldorf in my head whenever I read your posts on here. haha.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”