Should I do an all-nighter on thursday?

arewhyaen

Should I do an all-nighter on thursday?

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:24 am

So I'm just going to admit it. I have the worst trouble sleeping early. I cannot sleep at nine, my mind wanders, etc. etc. I cant sleep at eleven for the same reason. I was talking to someone who suggested that to get over this I should pull an all nighter two days before the test so that on Friday I'll be so sleepy I get to sleep early and wake up early enough to be wide awake for the LSAT.

Good advice, perhaps?

bk1

Re: Should I do an all-nighter on thursday?

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:36 am

This could easily backfire.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:52 am

I agree with you. I was just wondering if anyone could attest to the effectiveness of this method, or maybe say it was full-proof.

BLAH. I'll stick to the usual episode of Seinfeld to put me to sleep.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:53 am

others should correct me here if they think I am wrong. I will recommend to have a glass of wine tomorrow night, maybe two, around 1-2 hours before your bed time (don't get wasted though). Then have another on thursday's night.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 am

Missing sleep 2-3 days before the test is worse than missing sleep the night before. Both are bad, but the human body can deal with missing one night of sleep. Missing Thursday night will compound it onto Friday night's sleep and it will result BADLY. Hope that makes sense, but you'll find that most people who know anything about this kind of thing will agree. SOOOO many people think the whole all-nighter 2 nights before is a good idea. It's not.

I was in the same spot though.

Option 1: Tonight (Wednesday), go running and do a LOT of exercise around 9PM or so. Like hardcore cardio. Move a lot today. Tire yourself out as much as possible throughout today, drink some wine, so you can get to bed early tonight. Wake up tomorrow morning at a normal time.

Option 2: Pull an all nighter tonight (Wednesday) and don't sleep till Thursday night. Then sleep and wake up at a normal time on Friday. Then you'll be in shape.

JUST DON'T PULL AN ALL NIGHTER THURSDAY!

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 am

I'm thinking a good amount of sleep (7+ hours) is a must for the week leading up to the LSAT. Fatigue can really take a toll (even on a PT). Case in point, I'm halfway through a PT (first thing I'm doing today with 8 hours of sleep) and on the LR section I had time left over. The last timed PT I ran out of time like, at #20 (3.5 hours of sleep, after a full day at work).

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:19 am

I wouldn't do this only because the mind is pretty strong, and it may end up wandering and preventing you from sleeping even if you haven't slept in 24 hours. Then you're missing both Thursday and Friday night sleep.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 am

Intense cardio and masturbation are my plans

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:22 am

I have chronic sleep problems and these things help me. Never cause problems for me in the morning. They help me fall asleep and stay asleep. It's cheap and in almost any pharmacy's vitamins and herbal supplements section.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:53 am

paratactical wrote:Image

I have chronic sleep problems and these things help me. Never cause problems for me in the morning. They help me fall asleep and stay asleep. It's cheap and in almost any pharmacy's vitamins and herbal supplements section.

Para has it 100% right. Thats exactly the brand I use. Although, Ive started using a new one with "Theanine". But, 5 mg is the dosage Ive been taking for the last 4 or so months.

Take it an hour before you want to sleep and stay away from TV, your computer, games, bright lights, etc etc. What knocks me out quickly is drilling some LSAT questions or reading a book.

Good luck!

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:05 pm

I wouldn't recommend pulling an all-nighter, because lack of sleep can have a cumulative impact. I remember a few studies that demonstrated people who sleep only 6 hours a night for 3-4 days are as cognitively impaired as a person who's been up for 24 hours straight, and that each required more sleep than normal (much >8 hours) to return to normal functioning. It's kind of a carry-over effect--sleeping 8 hours Friday night won't make up for not sleeping at all Thursday night.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:20 pm

get a massage for the latest appointment you can on friday night, pop a melatonin when you get home and just go lie down in bed.

JDeterminedF

Postby JDeterminedF » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:28 pm

do the all nighter! its what i'll be doing considering i've been having troubling sleeping the past two weeks leading up to saturday. don't nap on friday and you'll get a FULL nights rest.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:35 pm

bk1 wrote:This could easily backfire.

Ditto. Maybe some tylenol PM would be helpful. I have to get up at 3:30 AM over the summers and took it to fall asleep at 8:00 PM fairly well

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:38 pm

No, you should not.

HTH

snodell

Postby snodell » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:27 pm

if you're going to pull an all-nighter, wednesday is better than thursday. you'll have one more night to adjust to your new sleeping schedule.

better yet, don't pull an all-nighter. just stay up late to tire yourself a little and go to bed really early thursday and friday.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Don't bother. If you read up on Melatonin you will find out that it takes a few weeks of being in your system before it starts working. ...unless there is a placebo effect, which I have just ruined.

Even though you may feel like a douche bag for drinking it, this works for me: --ImageRemoved--

haha the bear has a cat...and a tasteful display of ceramics...

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:26 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:

Don't bother. If you read up on Melatonin you will find out that it takes a few weeks of being in your system before it starts working. ...unless there is a placebo effect, which I have just ruined.

Even though you may feel like a douche bag for drinking it, this works for me: --ImageRemoved--

haha the bear has a cat...and a tasteful display of ceramics...

I have that tea! I love it, it's so good.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”