Convoluted Language in LR Sections

TEDC

Convoluted Language in LR Sections

Postby TEDC » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi Guys,

I have covered the PS LRB and LGB and have no difficulty understanding the concepts behind the games and LR sections. I am about -2 with LG but my LR is about -8 (per LR section). The problem that I am having is interpreting the convoluted language as I work my way through the more difficult problems.

I decided to get my hands on a copy of the Kaplan Mastery LR book and in each section of LR (Kaplan breaks LR down by type of question: assumption, weaken, etc.) I nail the first 65 questions with 100% accuracy. From 65 or so on I am about 30% accurate.

It is NOT the concepts behind the questions that are difficult (disproving causal relationships in weaken questions for example) nor is it the vocabulary. Perhaps I am just having trouble adjusting to the LSAT's writing style? I read technical and scientific based literature on a daily basis, should I change my daily reading?

I am debating taking the December test. That being said, has anyone here had a similar problem in approaching LR questions and if so, how did you overcome it?

Thanks!

Sandro

Re: Convoluted Language in LR Sections

Postby Sandro » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:04 pm

which sections are you taking? It seems to me the older the test the more convoluted the language. More words just to have more words, and more words designed to throw you and make you break down and say "What did that just really say?"

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 pm

TEDC wrote:The problem that I am having is interpreting the convoluted language as I work my way through the more difficult problems.

Get used to it... because it only get much worse.

WithoutMe

Postby WithoutMe » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm

When language gets difficult I tend to personalize it and place myself in the middle of the stimulus to really understand what they are saying.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:48 am

Sometimes when I come across a really weirdly worded question, or as I'm going through the question I really don't know what the hell is going on, I sneak a peek at the question stem to see what the question is and often it's like "what role does x statement play in the argument?" or whatever and I breathe a mental sigh of relief. That might help, although obviously not with all questions.

TEDC

Postby TEDC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Sandro777 wrote:which sections are you taking? It seems to me the older the test the more convoluted the language. More words just to have more words, and more words designed to throw you and make you break down and say "What did that just really say?"

I've only been using older PTs (pre-30) so that may explain it. I am saving the more recent PTs for the weeks before the test.

TEDC

Postby TEDC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:35 pm

inchoate_con wrote:
TEDC wrote:The problem that I am having is interpreting the convoluted language as I work my way through the more difficult problems.

Get used to it... because it only get much worse.

That is not really the case. Sure, law can be difficult to interpret but it is NOT intentionally confusing. It seems that the LSAT becomes intentionally confusing in an effort to disguise its simplicity.

Personalizing the stimulus, or placing "yourself" in the story is an excellent idea. I will certainly try it!

This is an excellent forum and thanks again for the help!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”