Am I being unrealistic?

Rawlberto

Am I being unrealistic?

Postby Rawlberto » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I have had an account for a while and have been lurking for the most.

I am enrolled in a Kaplan course and my first diagnostic was a 141, a little over a month ago. Two weeks after that I got a 152 on the next text, and on the following three I have been stuck between 149-150. I have been improving in my Logic Games each test, attempting to improve on LR, and for some reason I just seem to be declining more with each portion of RC. I have been trying to correct going back and reviewing my answers although I have been bad about it, but I will continue to attempt to "plug away at it."

I am planning on taking the December and would like to possibly get a 164-165, but would settle for a 160. Are my expectations too high considering the time frame? Thank You for your help.

Veyron

Re: Am I being unrealistic?

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Kaplan preptests are shit, pure shit. Take a real practice LSAT. I scored way below what I ended up getting on the free practice exam they gave.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Veyron wrote:Kaplan preptests are shit, pure shit. Take a real practice LSAT. I scored way below what I ended up getting on the free practice exam they gave.

Kaplan PTs are real PTs. HTH.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 pm

take an official LSAT test. Use that as your diagnostic... Categorize all answers that you got right and wrong. either enroll in a class, get a tutor, or purchase the LRB and LGB. Make sure to get your fundamentals down before you take another prep test. Take good notes, and drill each question type. After you get each question type, move on to timed sections.( for LR)

for games, learn each category of games. Drill practice types of games. Start untimed, then work timed. Ideally you should be able to do the game in under 9 minutes after 3 attempts through the game.

RC. Get to understand the questions for each passage. start with 1 passage untimed- answer all the questions ( all of the answers are in the passage, or can be inferred from the passages alone). Learn how and why the right answers are what tehy are ( same for games and lr) Then do 2 passages, repeat.. Finally start doing untimed rc sections. After you do a few of these, then do timed sections ( if you are really struggling, give yourself 5 extra minutes for LR RC and LG sections- but try to finish in 35 minutes or under)

once you have done timed sections, begin to do back to back timed sections to build up endurance. then start doing full length prep tests!

hope this helps, good luck

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 pm

beachbum wrote:
Veyron wrote:Kaplan preptests are shit, pure shit. Take a real practice LSAT. I scored way below what I ended up getting on the free practice exam they gave.

Kaplan PTs are real PTs. HTH.

Wrong the first time.
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks Northwood!

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:37 pm

your welcome

if you search on this site i think theres a link that will give you a spreadsheet that breaks down every LR question from every released prep test by question type... Make copies, and do them when you drill ( but save at least prep tests 42-60) for timed sections and full length prep tests

by the way... you can see a dramatic increase if you commit to study 3 hours a day. ( no phone, i pod, friends talking, cpu/ internet). It may hurt your social life, but its well worth the investment in the long run

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”