LR bible/LG bible question & admissions question

lakers3peat

LR bible/LG bible question & admissions question

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello & thank you for reading this post. Two simple questions: I was thinking about buying the LR/LG bibles as they have been widely recommended from friends/people here. The only reason I am hesitant is because I have already spent roughly $2,000 on practice tests, prep books(I bought P.R. 2007 guide 3 years ago when I first thought about taking the LSAT & recently, 2010 McGraw Hill(waste of money)), and also took the TM prep course($1500). Testmasters highly recommends not using other people's materials(naturally, right?) because they are not based on actual questions etc. I agree with this and thats why I said McGraw hill was a waste of money because I aced all their practice questions but they are made up by the company, not actual...

In one of our classes, Powerscore was brought up and our instructor claimed that PS and TM are pretty much the same material/same approach. She said Powerscore creator and Robin Singh used to be partners... This makes me think that maybe buying the bibles would be a waste of money. I was already taught about "the 15 question types" and different approaches for games, I don't want to buy a power score book and have them explain the same question types and the same Gaming techniques as I feel it will not only be a waste of money, it might confuse my current approach. However, it's been so widely recommended I had to hear what you all think.

Also my other question is related to admissions. I am taking the LSAT this Saturday just to get a feel for the environment but I won't take the actual scored one until December which will then have me applying for next years cycle. Time isn't the most important thing; I don't mind taking a year off to find myself-- what I wanted to know is whether or not Law schools require a resume/update of things I've been doing. I graduated this past June so I don't want to show law schools I've been idling around for a 1.5 years before I apply or whatever. I don't think "studying for the LSAT" qualifies under a resume for work experience so I am likely to intern/work for a firm in the meanwhile but it hasn't been easy to find a job or even internship in this economy.

if you have insight to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

rso11

Re: LR bible/LG bible question & admissions question

Postby rso11 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:13 pm

lakers3peat wrote:Hello & thank you for reading this post. Two simple questions: I was thinking about buying the LR/LG bibles as they have been widely recommended from friends/people here. The only reason I am hesitant is because I have already spent roughly $2,000 on practice tests, prep books(I bought P.R. 2007 guide 3 years ago when I first thought about taking the LSAT & recently, 2010 McGraw Hill(waste of money)), and also took the TM prep course($1500). Testmasters highly recommends not using other people's materials(naturally, right?) because they are not based on actual questions etc. I agree with this and thats why I said McGraw hill was a waste of money because I aced all their practice questions but they are made up by the company, not actual...

In one of our classes, Powerscore was brought up and our instructor claimed that PS and TM are pretty much the same material/same approach. She said Powerscore creator and Robin Singh used to be partners... This makes me think that maybe buying the bibles would be a waste of money. I was already taught about "the 15 question types" and different approaches for games, I don't want to buy a power score book and have them explain the same question types and the same Gaming techniques as I feel it will not only be a waste of money, it might confuse my current approach. However, it's been so widely recommended I had to hear what you all think.

I don't know anything about Testmasters but I think both the PowerScore LR and LG are very good. They give good explanations and a lot of practice material. I know you've already thrown a lot of cash into prep but I personally vouch for them. If you're hesitant, maybe you could browse a friend's copies and see if they differ?

Also my other question is related to admissions. I am taking the LSAT this Saturday just to get a feel for the environment but I won't take the actual scored one until December which will then have me applying for next years cycle. Time isn't the most important thing; I don't mind taking a year off to find myself-- what I wanted to know is whether or not Law schools require a resume/update of things I've been doing. I graduated this past June so I don't want to show law schools I've been idling around for a 1.5 years before I apply or whatever. I don't think "studying for the LSAT" qualifies under a resume for work experience so I am likely to intern/work for a firm in the meanwhile but it hasn't been easy to find a job or even internship in this economy.

if you have insight to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

[color=#BF0000]I assume you'd have to update your resume. You want law schools to be fully cognizant of everything you've done. What exactly do you mean by an 'update'? It sounds like you haven't applied yet and so it's not like you're reapplying and sending them an updated resume. A current resume IS part of the application process so if you plan to apply in a year or whenever, you'll need to include everything - undergrad and post activities.

rso11

Postby rso11 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 pm

Whoops sorry about that. ^ I wanted only my answers to be colored but obviously that didn't happen. haha

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 pm

What I mean is that I have worked considerably during my 4 years of college but got laid off May 2010 before I graduated. I have since been looking for a Job/studying for the LSAT. The job search has been futile so there will be a gap in my Resume starting from May 2010-Present. If I'm not taking the LSAT till december, it will be from May 2010-December 2010 at the earliest--I don't want to work & study at same time.

Given that I do well in December, then I will have to search for a job to occupy me/fill the spot in my resume from May 2010-September 2011 when I submit my application. Do you see what I'm saying? There will still be a large gap in my resume from May until whenever it is after December that I find a job. Is this something to be worried about?

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:29 pm

also, about the bibles, I think I am going to just go to barnes and nobles or borders and look them over there to decide? unless anyone else has some insight

penguin

Postby penguin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:43 pm

If I were you, I would check out the collection of my local library first if they have PS bibles. Then if I like them, I would order them online since online shops have better deals than Barnes & Noble or Borders.

btw, I feel the same pain as you. I spent TOO much money on LSAT prep, including PS full length course, books, etc, although I like the bibles.

lakers3peat wrote:also, about the bibles, I think I am going to just go to barnes and nobles or borders and look them over there to decide? unless anyone else has some insight

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:20 pm

My LSAT wasn't super-awesome, but I only missed one or two on the LG section.

The Logic Games Bible would be the entire reason why. I looked at all kinds of books and it was far and away the best.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”