Question about the development of an -0'er on LG...

JurisDoctorate

Question about the development of an -0'er on LG...

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:21 pm

I think I have finally gotten to the point where no game is above my head. For some reason, I had a lot of difficulty diagramming and "seeing" the set-up for some games. Like I said, i've gotten past that and I'm able to diagram every game. However, I'm now missing a question on every game. I'll forget one inference in eliminating answer choices and I'll fall for one of the wrong answer choices.

Is this pretty normal in getting to the point where you are getting -0 on LG sections? I'm assuming my next step is to make sure to go through every inference in eliminating every answer choice. Although, my problem may be that I don't write out every possibility. My LG's are pretty bare, I do most of the possibilities in my head. Do you all write out every possibility?

bk1

Re: Question about the development of an -0'er on LG...

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:25 pm

How can you fall for a wrong choice on LG? Do you miss the inference, find a "right" answer and not read the rest?

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Yikes, bingo! I don't keep checking answer choices after I find the "right" one; this where I can improve. I was taught that I shouldn't keep looking at answer choices once I've found the correct one. However, since I am making mistakes, this will allow me to catch my own mistakes. I think I can still choose the wrong answer if I consistently miss the same inference, when checking each answer choice, so I should also be sure to go through every inference.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:39 pm

I personally have never seen a case where preemptively diagramming multiple possibilities has saved me a question or time, but I know it does for many people. Could always retake an old section trying to do that, see if it helps or hurts.
Alternatively, I generally diagram each question separately if the question requires one. I never really tried any of the LG study methods, but I know that starting over with a new diagram for each questions clears the clutter for me, and means I don't have to worry about bad inferences carrying over. I may have to repeat some work, but unless you were unusually crunched for time to begin with (for a consistent -1 to -4 on LG, I doubt it), not too much of a problem.

I assume that you're not missing the first questions in games, but those overwhelmingly ask for one solved configuration...these should never require a diagram...if there are 4+ rules, usually one rule disqualifying one answer each. Just eliminate until you're left with one. (You will still have to watch out for exceptions though.)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”