Has anyone successfully figured out their experimental?

enigma09

Has anyone successfully figured out their experimental?

Postby enigma09 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 am

Has anyone successfully figured out their experimental section on the real LSAT and taken that section off? How did it turn out, and do you think it helped your score?

longdaysjourney

Re: Has anyone successfully figured out their experimental?

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Trying to guess the experimental, and then not doing it, would be the dumbest test-days strategy I've ever heard, except for these two:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=128461
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=131662

You could either (a) guess right and it have no effect on your score b/c it's un-scored or (b) totally screw you over because you guessed wrong.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Don't.

In fact, don't even waste your cognitive time by even thinking about the experimental section on test day. I did this and know in fact that it lowered my score. It's a waste of time and is in no way beneficial to your test score.

e10

Postby e10 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

From my understanding the experimental will always be in the first 3 sections. The first time I took the lsat it was my first section which was reading comp. Then got to my third section and realized this was the real section bc the first reading comp was much easier. The second time I took it I had a game experimental which was my third section and the real game section was my first section. The experimental was really easy and I finished with spare time and was all excited bc I thought maybe it was the real section, later to find out it wasn't. Anyways, like the previous people have said--you won't really know, nor waste your time.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:15 pm

It is impossible to tell the experimental section as you are taking in. It is always among the first 3 sections. You might know which one was experimental by the time the test ends (though not necessarily), you cannot know as you are taking it.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:18 pm

You have to cheat to guess it by peeking at sections 4&5. Even then, if you get 3 LRs, you're screwed. IMO it's better to just do your best on all the sections.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:23 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:You have to cheat to guess it by peeking at sections 4&5. Even then, if you get 3 LRs, you're screwed. IMO it's better to just do your best on all the sections.

I had 3 LR sections, which were 2 3 and 4 on my test. So it was impossible for me to tell, but I guess one could peek ahead. However, this is obviously against the rules. But why would you even want to do this? Sure, you would go through the experimental all calmly and without any worries. But then the pressure of the "real" section goes up quite a bit, and perhaps that pressure makes you perform a bit worse than you would have if you didn't know which one was real. As the post above me says, just do your best on every section regardless. Ignorance is bliss in this respect.

coffeetable

Postby coffeetable » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:34 pm

I had 2 LGs - one in sec 1 and one in sec 3. The games in sec 3 were simply too easy to be real. I finished all 4 games maybe in 25 mins and got everything right i think.

The rule for dummy section is that it has been one of the first 3 sections, and It will be either very easy or very hard. But like everyone said, just don't think about it... it will give you even more stress!

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:39 pm

coffeetable wrote:I had 2 LGs - one in sec 1 and one in sec 3. The games in sec 3 were simply too easy to be real. I finished all 4 games maybe in 25 mins and got everything right i think.

The rule for dummy section is that it has been one of the first 3 sections, and It will be either very easy or very hard. But like everyone said, just don't think about it... it will give you even more stress!

Not necessarily.

Just dont even try. Take it from someone that tried to guess the experiemental on Sept 2009 and guessed wrong, it doesnt pay to try and guess. Just do everything. What you think is a very hard section (and subsequently the experimental) might not be that difficult and could be the real one. Same applies to really easy sections.

JUST DO IT. All of it.

Good luck!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:21 pm

yea my friend said she thought she knew which section was her experimental and didnt try and got a really bad score. Could have just been a good story to cover her terrible score who knows lol.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:41 pm

my friends who have taken it all have guessed and got it correct.

the only possible way you can guess the experimental 100% correct is if:

1. your experimental is LG or RC
2. you don't have 2 LG or 2 RC within the first 3 sections

if you have 1 LG or RC before the break, and another after it, then the one before the break will 100% be the experimental.

if you have 3 LR sections, the only way you can be sure of the experimental is if you have only 1 LR in the first 3 sections and 2 LR after the break. then the one before the break is experimental.

if you have 2 LG, RC, LR within the first 3 sections, there is no way you can tell.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”