. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:53 am

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JJDancer

Gold

Re: Tragedy

Post by JJDancer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:08 am

rest up. Seriously. PTing will not help you this week if you are exhausted on test day (from sickness).

I got pneumonia the 2nd time I took the LSAT. Had the tiniest fever on friday night before the monday June test. Sunday night I was stressed over some family thing (had to resolve a crisis with flights etc and stayed up) Luckily June test was at 12.30 so I was fine in terms of sleep but during the test I had horrible body aches/headache and fever. Yes, I canceled.

I don't want to scare you or anything. Don't panic. You won't be me. But you should load up on vitamins (more than just oJ) and do everything you can to minimize symptoms or finish the cycle of sickness ASAP.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:09 am

get lots of rest and don't panic...

i ended up with a freaking herniated disc the day before my lsat in june. i had a moment of freaking the hell out on sunday morning, then i realized that i could NOT let it get into my head and take over. i bought a disposable heating pad, wore it through the entire test, and did just fine (actually a 7 point increase from my first lsat)....it was NOT fun, but it was do-able...

so it really can be ok, you just have to take good care of yourself and maybe not work as hard as you had planned this week....you have the skills already, one extra PT won't make or break you, but some extra rest might really help...

my 2 cents worth....

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I have a sort throat this morning and I'm flipping out. I'm about to start downing serious amounts of OJ and other liquids. I cannot be sick on test day. Like you, I have work, so staying in bed isn't really an option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 pm

Why is taking the December LSAT not an option?

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Skyhook wrote: You retaking this time JJ?
Yes. 3rd time is the charm :)
(Hopefully it's the best LSAT for both of us)

I did well my first time (my PT avg at the time) but not as well as I knew I could.
Last edited by JJDancer on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Skyhook wrote:
rayiner wrote:Why is taking the December LSAT not an option?
My previous LSAT's are a ding on my application.
I have to apply before Thanksgiving to overcome this.

Get well soon SgtGrumbles.

I'm not happy about being ill right now, but can't turn into a headless chicken.
Just got to shrug and make lemonade.
Applying before Thanksgiving is worth less than a 1 point difference on the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:47 pm

rayiner wrote: Applying before Thanksgiving is worth less than a 1 point difference on the LSAT.
All advice I've ever seen is to apply as early as possible, especially if you have some downsides to your app.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:38 pm

Skyhook wrote:
rayiner wrote: Applying before Thanksgiving is worth less than a 1 point difference on the LSAT.
All advice I've ever seen is to apply as early as possible, especially if you have some downsides to your app.
That's true, all else being equal. However, if you think being sick will cost you a point or more on your LSAT, then any benefit from applying early is wiped out.

alex_cryp

New

Post by alex_cryp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:21 am

One Word: ZICAM

it seriously works.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:30 am

alex_cryp wrote:One Word: ZICAM

it seriously works.
HAHA I literally just used my ZICAM! Something is going around where I live...wonderful that I get it a couple of days before D-Day. Same thing...sore throat and congestion so far, I'm hoping to knock it out before Sat. morning. On test day you cant let it get to you though; pump yourself full of non drowsy medications and a buncha caffeine (or whatever does the trick for ya) sit down and take it like any other PT...if you're calm, youll be fine. No matter how I feel im still going out afterward though...you can't come between an Irishman from his victory drink(s).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:15 am

Where is the tragedy?

And I must say.. You make a lot of excuses for someone who is 30. Own your past mistakes and rock this test. No excuses.

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:45 am

Last edited by Skyhook on Tue May 15, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 am

3 suggestions:
1. This week - netipot that shit
2. Fri & Sat - Afrin nasal spray - you'll be so open you can smell time
3. Test day 1/2 dose favorite cold med + 2 Excedrin - dry and open without the fatigue.

Bonus: drink as much water and oj as you can handle - like 20-40 oz every 2 hours all day long

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 am

homestyle28 wrote: Bonus: drink as much water and oj as you can handle - like 20-40 oz every 2 hours all day long
+++
If you aren't in the restroom once an hour you are doing it wrong. OJ is good, but water is probably more important because your body can only process so much vitamin C and after that the extra sugar isn't going to do you many favors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:34 am

homestyle28 wrote:OJ is good, but water is probably more important because your body can only process so much vitamin C and after that the extra sugar isn't going to do you many favors.
+1

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:55 am

Skyhook wrote:
reasonable_man wrote: Zicam - homeopathic?
Don't ruin my placebo! Hope we both get over this soon...woke up feeling worse lol. I guess i have no excuse but to review now though.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:06 am

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Terrible first score 9/09, first retake Sat. However, I'm in my early 20s and have been prepping full time for the last two months. I woke up with a sore throat yesterday and it has become worse today. I'm loading up on vitamins (emergen-C supplement) and resting today. I'm debating if I should go to the doctor. I'm planning on taking PT 59 tomorrow (I've taken all of them except 59 and 60). I'm going to take the test Sat and rock it, sick or not. I've done way too much work to let some bullshit sore throat make me wait until December with no fresh study materials.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Terrible first score 9/09, first retake Sat. However, I'm in my early 20s and have been prepping full time for the last two months. I woke up with a sore throat yesterday and it has become worse today. I'm loading up on vitamins (emergen-C supplement) and resting today. I'm debating if I should go to the doctor. I'm planning on taking PT 59 tomorrow (I've taken all of them except 59 and 60). I'm going to take the test Sat and rock it, sick or not. I've done way too much work to let some bullshit sore throat make me wait until December with no fresh study materials.
I'm in the same situation with the sore throat. I first noticed it yesterday and slammed water and OJ all day. Still present today, but no other symptoms of a cold. Nonetheless, I'm drinking plenty of water, OJ and hot tea today, too. I'll keep doing so for the next couple days. Taking PT 60 tomorrow morning. I know I could wait until December, but for a likely splitter like me (assuming LSAT is within PT range), that wouldn't be a good idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:56 pm

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Try the powdered version of Vit C from your GNC or health food store. Try abit with your OJ then drink water. Watch out though the powdered Vit C can upset your stomach the first time you take it.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:50 pm

What is your guess a cold or flu?

I was real afraid of getting a cold then we got a heat wave and everyone got better.

I get the flu shot every year, and pneumonia shot for this reason.

For colds I usually try to keep myself decongested. If you think you have the flu see a doctor right away and try to get tamiflu. I have heard that it can reverse the severity of a flu if it is caught immediately(first 48 hours). I would wait till Dec. if it is not just a cold and is a flu.

Best of luck.

wjun15

Bronze

Post by wjun15 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:17 pm

do NOT drink too much water. I just took my final PT today at the same room im going to be taking it...drank alot of water and ended up going to the bathroom TWICE during the first 2 sections lol! (once before the test started)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”