Those who scored 175+

Unshake

Those who scored 175+

Postby Unshake » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:11 am

How did you make the jump from 170-173 to the higher 170s? I'm scoring an average of 171 on strictly timed PTs with bubble sheets and cannot surpass 173? What separated you from the lower 170s?

All of the errors I make seem stupid and when I review the questions the answer jus jumps off of the page almost immediately. Collectively, I could use improvement on the newer RC sections and possibly LR sections. My most missed LR questions are justify, strengthen and assumption ( Which account for almost all of my missed questions.

Any general or specific tips on what to do to avoid making dumb errors or thought processes used on these question types?

Knock

Re: Those who scored 175+

Postby Knock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 am

Unshake wrote:How did you make the jump from 170-173 to the higher 170s? I'm scoring an average of 171 on strictly timed PTs with bubble sheets and cannot surpass 173? What separated you from the lower 170s?

All of the errors I make seem stupid and when I review the questions the answer jus jumps off of the page almost immediately. Collectively, I could use improvement on the newer RC sections and possibly LR sections. My most missed LR questions are justify, strengthen and assumption ( Which account for almost all of my missed questions.

Any general or specific tips on what to do to avoid making dumb errors or thought processes used on these question types?

-0 LG everytime and consistently -2 or better on each LR section and RC. Note that I did not score over a 175 on the real deal.

What helped me turn the corner on assumption was reading about necessary vs. sufficient assumption questions. Search around on LSAT Blog for the article.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:15 am

I managed to really nail down the general principles that I found most helpful to me on the LR/RC sections so that I could devote time during the test to actually comprehending the answer choices. (Note that I haven't taken the real deal yet and may score below 175)

Also, consistently -0 LG is a gigantic help. If you can find a section you can always knock out of the park, you're halfway there.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Unshake wrote:How did you make the jump from 170-173 to the higher 170s? I'm scoring an average of 171 on strictly timed PTs with bubble sheets and cannot surpass 173? What separated you from the lower 170s?

What usually sets apart the low 170's from the high 170's is the number of answers one gets incorrect.

If you are scoring 170-173 you should be smart enough to realize that only you can figure out what's holding you back. Maybe if you set up a web-cam a broadcast yourself taking a couple tests in real-time...maybe then could someone on this forum give you legitimate advice on how to get from low to high 170s. You yourself have listed what your perceived weaknesses are...so figure out a way to eliminate them! What other advice could there be?

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:22 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:

What usually sets apart the low 170's from the high 170's is the number of answers one gets incorrect.

If you are scoring 170-173 you should be smart enough to realize that only you can figure out what's holding you back. Maybe if you set up a web-cam a broadcast yourself taking a couple tests in real-time...maybe then could someone on this forum give you legitimate advice on how to get from low to high 170s. You yourself have listed what your perceived weaknesses are...so figure out a way to eliminate them! What other advice could there be?

Alright, well I'll be on chatroulette. I'll be the only one both entirely naked and taking a practice test.

But seriously, I was just wondering if there were certain strategies pertaining to my perceived weaknesses that I could use to improve. Most of my improvements have been made by reading advice and changing how I think/approach certain questions.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:52 pm

I generally score 175-180 on PT's but haven't yet done so on the real thing, so take this with a grain of salt. I agree with longday for the most part; you're hitting 173, you're at least a fairly intelligent individual, and you can probably figure things out by yourself for the most part. That said, if you generally miss questions that seem stupidly easy upon review, your problem likely includes focusing improperly. So try altering the things that can affect focus: eating & sleeping habits, attacking each section as a test unto itself, coffee/5 hour energy, etc. One thing that's helped me a reduce stupid mistakes a bit is treating each section as its own test, which prevents me from freaking out and thinking "There were two questions I wasn't sure about on Section 1, now I HAVE to get -0 on this section or the world will explode!"

nylost

Postby nylost » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:06 pm

This may be stupid :oops: but when you guys take PTs you use the bubble sheets?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:09 pm

nylost wrote:This may be stupid :oops: but when you guys take PTs you use the bubble sheets?

yup

Spykuh

Postby Spykuh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:11 pm

My most missed LR questions are justify, strengthen and assumption ( Which account for almost all of my missed questions.

Drill these questions. If these are the ones you miss the most, stop missing them by practicing them the most.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Absolutely nail down the hard questions. If you are missing 10 questions a test, I doubt they are all careless errors.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”