Another RC Freakout Post

amkid100

Another RC Freakout Post

Postby amkid100 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:41 pm

I've joined the huddled masses -- through the 40's and low 50's i scored -1 or -2 on all RCs, but now i'm at a solid -3! Main point questions in particular have been giving me grief of late. Is the main point of a passage essentially its conclusion? I did a question yesterday where the correct answer was a point the author made in the last paragraph, irregardless of the rest of the passage.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, it's hard to study LSAT after a full day of work (as another thread laments...).

DearCan

Re: Another RC Freakout Post

Postby DearCan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:45 pm

The main conclusion is the author's ultimate argument. These can be tricky in RC because there are often sub-arguments within the passage. Just be sure the answer you choose doesn't leave anything out. If an answer choice seems valid just ask yourself if it encompasses any later arguments.

bjc314

Postby bjc314 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:30 am

I agree. After taking the old practice tests at the beginning of my lsat prep and never missing more than one or two, I never studied RC in any meaningful way. Now I'm getting my ass kicked. On another note, the new games seem easier. Anyone else notice this trend?

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 am

I've noticed that correct answers to MP questions come in two forms. If the passage is designed as an argument, then it's a safe bet that the argument's conclusion will be the correct answer. If the passage is more informative, then look for an answer that sums up what happened in the passage. But be on the lookout for answer choices that contain information inconsistent with the passage as a whole.

I actually have the opposite problem in RC. MP, tone, and function questions come easy to me, but detail/inference questions kick my ass. I've been using mostly older RC as my experimental and it's ridiculous how much harder the newer RC is. Not everyone will agree with that, but I can usually -1 or -2 the older stuff while -4 or -5 the new stuff. I'm going to scream on Saturday if I see anything about Maxine Hong, fractals, or maize!

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:37 am

The Gentleman wrote:I've noticed that correct answers to MP questions come in two forms. If the passage is designed as an argument, then it's a safe bet that the argument's conclusion will be the correct answer. If the passage is more informative, then look for an answer that sums up what happened in the passage. But be on the lookout for answer choices that contain information inconsistent with the passage as a whole.

I actually have the opposite problem in RC. MP, tone, and function questions come easy to me, but detail/inference questions kick my ass. I've been using mostly older RC as my experimental and it's ridiculous how much harder the newer RC is. Not everyone will agree with that, but I can usually -1 or -2 the older stuff while -4 or -5 the new stuff. I'm going to scream on Saturday if I see anything about Maxine Hong, fractals, or maize!

That's super super helpful, thank you. I also noticed that there seemed to be multiple ways to answer a main point, but couldn't put my finger on it.

and yeah, if there is any mention of riddled basins, cannibalistic turtles or non-oxidized, highly reflective statues i may have to devote my essay to railing against LSAC.

jfb

Postby jfb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 am

I totally agree that it has gotten harder. I did some older rc passages for review last nght, and honestly it was like they came from a different test (the gre for example). While I think that the main point questions have increased the most in difficulty, the rule that seems to work for me for mp questions is to pick the answer choice that every paragraph in the passage is designed to support.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:20 am

Any tips for inference questions? 4 of the 6 I missed on PT 59 were such types, and the only 1 I missed on PT 58 RC was an inference question.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:46 am

PT 56 RC kicked my ass last night.
MISSED 6 :shock:
I took this PT on 9/16/2009 and missed 4-5
I missed 3 of the same questions this time..SERIOUSLY!!?!?!

hopefully I can get a handle on RC and get my confidence back overall.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:40 am

I guess I feel better about my -2 RC on PT 56.

But PT 59 slaughtered me this weekend with -6 RC and shattered my confidence.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”