Where should I start?

TunnelVision

Where should I start?

Postby TunnelVision » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:42 pm

I have been browsing these forums for about a year or so, and I have finally created an account. I just took a practice LSAT through Kaplan and scored a 143. This was without ever having seen an LSAT, but I know it is still a rather poor score. I do, however, think I could have done slightly better just by not rushing through the test; I finished all of the sections with a couple of minutes left over. So, I clearly need to manage my time better. As far as incorrect answers, the dispersion is rather even across the board. Although, logical reasoning was my worst section, and reading comprehension was my best.

I am currently a sophmore, and I plan on taking the June 2012 exam. I want to be proactive and start as soon as possible, and I was hoping people would be able to offer some suggestions regarding where to start. I have purchased all 3 Powerscore Bibles, the Powerscore games workbook with flashcards, Powerscore reasoning flashcards, Ace the LSAT Logic Games, LSAT SuperPrep, the 3 sets of 10 previous LSATs, and Master the LSAT (with software and online course). I am willing to purchase more material, if necessary, so let me know. Where should I start? Thank you.

lifestooquick

Re: Where should I start?

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Start by focusing on UG and getting the best GPA you can. Don't worry about the LSAT too early - you can burn out on it easily and there's a limited amount of material. Just focus on school now and then start studying for the LSAT next year (you have the best materials already, just save them for then). You could check out some suggested study plans for then if you like to plan (http://www.lsatblog.org) but really, you should wait awhile before starting.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Wow. Firstly, you are ahead of the game. Unquestionably. Mad props.

You are clearly committed after buying all that material. I think what you listed is quite sufficient. I'm sure people score 170+ with 2/3 of that material. I actually took a course w/ TestMasters though looking back I think if I could have been disciplined enough, I could get to where I am now w/ self study and the material you listed.

As for where to start: You have a current score. Decided on a target score. Decide on target schools. Design some kind of life guide as you have some time before June 2012.

Start by: Anyone familiar w/ TLS forums that lurk and post to LSAT Prep and Discussion has probably heard of pithypike's study guide. Definitely check it out: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657. I'm sure there are linked threads related in that thread.

Final note: Stay positive. You are way ahead of the game. You actually probably don't need to get down and dirty w/ the LSAT until the summer after junior year. Keep that GPA up. Read more. Maybe get in the habit of reading the Economist.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:08 pm

If you are going to take it in June 2012, then there is really nothing you should be doing right now except getting a high GPA. If I could do my last few years over again though, other than working just a little harder for that A instead of settling for a B, I might have tried to take the Dec LSAT in my Junior year. For one, I think the curves on the Dec LSAT are a little bit better, but beside that if you mess up you still have more than enough time to prepare to take it again. Whenever you do plan on taking it though, make sure that you make a plan of how/what you want to study about 6 months before the test, and make sure you stick to that plan. Some people may not need it, but I failed to make a schedule for being ready for this Oct test and I eventually failed to be ready in time. Didn't make that mistake for this upcoming Dec test and I'm right on track.

tourdeforcex wrote:Read more. Maybe get in the habit of reading the Economist.

Economist is cool (also Foreign Affairs), but if you want to be real prepared for the reading sections and just get used to reading long dense passages in general (which you'll do in law school), I'd go for reading articles from academic journals, which you can usually access online through your school library website. If you want to get prepared for the games, there's probably a few hundred books out there that can help, though definitely save the PTs until you are really studying for the test.

TunnelVision

Postby TunnelVision » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:23 am

Thank you all for the suggestions. I do read frequently, and I will check out the Economist. Would it be alright if I at least read through the Powerscore Bibles now? I understand that I shouldn't touch the practice exams at this point. Thank you.

blink

Postby blink » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 am

TunnelVision wrote:Thank you all for the suggestions. I do read frequently, and I will check out the Economist. Would it be alright if I at least read through the Powerscore Bibles now? I understand that I shouldn't touch the practice exams at this point. Thank you.

Whats the point?? You are way too far out to even worry about it. Focus on school. If you're so excited about the LSAT, take the June 2011 test and start studying in January. Otherwise, sit tight and be patient.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:34 pm

TunnelVision wrote:I have purchased all 3 Powerscore Bibles, the Powerscore games workbook with flashcards, Powerscore reasoning flashcards, Ace the LSAT Logic Games, LSAT SuperPrep, the 3 sets of 10 previous LSATs, and Master the LSAT (with software and online course). I am willing to purchase more material, if necessary, so let me know. Where should I start? Thank you.

First of all, don't fret about the 143. I scored a 145 originally and, after a few months, I regularly score 175+ on PTs...it's not a big deal. I take this Saturday, so we'll see how it goes.

Another thing, I hope you kept some of your receipts because half of those books are crap: the Powerscore games workbook with flashcards, Powerscore reasoning flashcards, Ace the LSAT Logic Games, and Master the LSAT are all turds...send them back immediately and don't think twice. Also, if you're even the least bit computer literate, there are ways of "creatively acquiring" all the PT's, and PDFs are better than books because printing multiple copies of a game is much easier copying page after page after page after page.

There are some books that I would recommend you use instead: here is all you need for the total package:
1.) LG Bible
2.) LR Bible
3.) The 3 Atlas books (Logic Games, Reading Comp, and Logical Reasoning)
4.) Every preptest after 20...either paper or pdf
5.) Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning: Question Type Training
6.) PowerScore LSAT Game Type Training

I tried to use some of the things like the flashcards and ace the logic games, but they are suck and were are waste of my time.

If you buy the 6 things I have listed, there is not one iota of lsat knowledge that you will be without.

Use them in this order: 1, 6, 2, 5, PT-30-40, 3 (intersperse the atlas books with the last 20 PTs)

Additionally, keep all the games and you got wrong and re-work them. Keep all the LR you get wrong and write explanations next to them of what you did wrong.

Finally, if you aren't an avid reader stop watching tv and surfing the internet regularly and start reading big, thick challenging novels (see "the western canon" by Harold bloom or St. John's College Annapolis Graduate Program Reading List). Keep this (http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Electronics ... 315&sr=8-1) by your side and look up any word you don't know...you'll be a better reader and have a better vocab. than most if you do that for two hours a day for two years.

Good luck.

p.s. don't do what I did and waste a lot of time gathering sticks...just start the fire. What I just gave you is a surefire path to a 170+, unless your an amoeba. Return those crappy books, buy what I told you, read some tough novels, and get studying.

p.s. make sure you get all A's from now on...that's almost as important as your lsat
p.p.s. sorry about all they typos, I'm too lazy to craft an elegant piece of prose right now

nylost

Postby nylost » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:23 pm

[quote="longdaysjourney"][quote="TunnelVision"]

Another thing, I hope you kept some of your receipts because half of those books are crap: the Powerscore games workbook with flashcards, Powerscore reasoning flashcards, Ace the LSAT Logic Games, and Master the LSAT are all turds...send them back immediately and don't think twice. Also, if you're even the least bit computer literate, there are ways of "creatively acquiring" all the PT's, and PDFs are better than books because printing multiple copies of a game is much easier copying page after page after page after page.

There are some books that I would recommend you use instead: here is all you need for the total package:
1.) LG Bible
2.) LR Bible
3.) The 3 Atlas books (Logic Games, Reading Comp, and Logical Reasoning)
4.) Every preptest after 20...either paper or pdf
5.) Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning: Question Type Training
6.) PowerScore LSAT Game Type Training

I tried to use some of the things like the flashcards and ace the logic games, but they are suck and were are waste of my time.

If you buy the 6 things I have listed, there is not one iota of lsat knowledge that you will be without.

Use them in this order: 1, 6, 2, 5, PT-30-40, 3 (intersperse the atlas books with the last 20 PTs)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering because when searching on bn.com I found these and were wondering if this is what you were referring to. Just want to make sure because they say PT 1-20..

5.) PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning : Question Type Training: LSAT Preptests 1 Through 20
6.) Powerscore LSAT Reading Comprehension : Passage Type Training: LSAT Preptests 1 Through 20

Are those the correct titles to the books you recommend?

nylost

Postby nylost » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Another question, although I have not yet read the PS LGB/LRB nor the Atlas books, I wonder if using both will confuse me?
Won't they perhaps have conflicting theories/approaches/do's/don'ts etc?
Also I read in Pithypike's guide to purchase the Kaplan Mastery books(s)? What are your opinions on that as well?

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:20 am

nylost wrote:Another question, although I have not yet read the PS LGB/LRB nor the Atlas books, I wonder if using both will confuse me?
Won't they perhaps have conflicting theories/approaches/do's/don'ts etc?
Also I read in Pithypike's guide to purchase the Kaplan Mastery books(s)? What are your opinions on that as well?

nylost wrote:Just wondering because when searching on bn.com I found these and were wondering if this is what you were referring to. Just want to make sure because they say PT 1-20..

5.) PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning : Question Type Training: LSAT Preptests 1 Through 20
6.) Powerscore LSAT Reading Comprehension : Passage Type Training: LSAT Preptests 1 Through 20

Are those the correct titles to the books you recommend?

Yes, those are the books I am referring to.

And yes, the Atlas and Powerscore books do conflict at some points...but that is one of the benefits. You can try out two different methods and see which one works best. A lot of people on this message board discouraged me from using the Atlas material after I had finished the Powerscore. I ignored their advice and used the atlas material...that is what took me from the 165 range to the 175 range.

There is no reason to use Kaplan Mastery. It is soooo bad. One thing you should know is this: Kaplan owns Atlas. What does this tell you? Why does Kaplan own two different companies that both teach LSAT in different ways? This is why. The kaplan material (including kaplan mastery) is targeting the masses. They want to take people from a 135 up to a 155..that is kaplan's goal...they are targeting the lowest common denominator. The Atlas material is for "brighter" students who want to get 170+ scores.

I think that powerscore tries to target everyone....from the remedial to the advanced. This is why they are so popular. However, powerscore includes some methods that would help a low score tremendously, but could possibly hinder a high-scorer. That is why it's important to use the Atlas...it helps refine what powescore has taught you.

If you are a sophomore...your biggest concern should be getting all A's and becoming well rounded. If you are in the hard sciences, make sure to take English literature/English Writing/American History/Political Philosophy classes...if you have a humanities major, make sure that take some hard science classes.

I was an English Literature major. If I could start over I would have double-majored in English Lit and Biology. You also want to make sure that you are fostering very deep and meaningful relationships with two teachers. Take at least 3 classes from these teachers, go to their office hours all the time. By the time you graduate you want these teachers to be willing to write/do anything for you. By the time I was a senior I had a standing appointment with one of my professors, at the bar after every class on Thursday. Once you are at the point where you and a teacher are regularly getting wasted with each other, you know that the LOR is in the bag.

Additionally, you want to make sure to get competitive internships. Don't spend your summers jacking around...do important research, exploit nepotism to its fullest, get impressive things to put on your resume. I would say get a copy of The Ivy Guide to Law School Admissions, how to get into the top law schools, and law school confidential. Those books will get you started. Avoid: 55 harvard essays and that book by the former harvard law dean...they suck. Check out these movies too: http://www.amazon.com/The-25-Greatest-L ... rpli_alt_1

p.s. SERIOUSLY RETURN THOSE OTHER BOOKS AND FLASHCARDS. I BOUGHT THEM AND THEY SERVED NO PURPOSE.

snodell

Postby snodell » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:58 pm

i agree with longdaysjourney for the most part. sell all flashcards (including the powerscore ones). sell ace the lsat logic games and master the lsat.

you said you have 3 sets of 10 previous lsats, correct? then DO NOT buy the powerscore logical reasoning question type training of powerscore lsat game type training. this is a waste. you are just buying duplicates of questions you already have.

just use the spreadsheets/classifications on lsatblog.blogspot.com to do questions by type: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/spreadsh ... -data.html

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:07 pm

snodell wrote:i agree with longdaysjourney for the most part. sell all flashcards (including the powerscore ones). sell ace the lsat logic games and master the lsat.

you said you have 3 sets of 10 previous lsats, correct? then DO NOT buy the powerscore logical reasoning question type training of powerscore lsat game type training. this is a waste. you are just buying duplicates of questions you already have.

just use the spreadsheets/classifications on lsatblog.blogspot.com to do questions by type: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/spreadsh ... -data.html

There are some duplicates, true. But if you want the questions from pt 1-6 then you need to buy those books. It's also handy to have them grouped for you. It's also nice to do the questions by type for 1-20, and then have your first PTs be the ones in the 10 actual books...that way you aren't wasting untarnished PTs building up endurance.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”