Bombed PT, now what? October 2010 freak out!

s254w

Bombed PT, now what? October 2010 freak out!

Postby s254w » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Hey guys,

I don't post here often but I'm retaking the test in Ocotber. I took it in Sep last year and got a 162.

My PT average has been 172 for the last ten or so tests that I've done. However, today I got a 167 on PT 58 (which was my real test from last year!), and I am really getting nervous. This is the lowest score I've gotten since the beginning of August. I got a -8 on the RC, and I have never gotten anything less than a -5 on my worst days in this section.

I have one last test to take PT 59. Should I even bother at this point, because if I don't score at least a 170, I am likely to just stress like crazy? Also, is it worth it for me to repeat the RCs from PT50 -60, even though I'd remember the passages, since this seems to be my weakest section?

minnbills

Re: Bombed PT, now what? October 2010 freak out!

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I don't think that constitutes a bomb on the PT. You just scored a bit below your average. It's not like you dropped to the low 160's. I don't see why you're worried- just review until you understand all your mistakes, then take another PT to get the confidence back up.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Better to rest like crazy than to stress like crazy.

s254w

Postby s254w » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:05 pm

You're right. It is just unnerving for this to happen this week, since my last 8 or 9 tests have ranged from 169 - 174.

I definitely bombed the RC, and now that I'm looking over the sections, it seems it was always between one of two choices and I picked the wrong one. Not sure if its helpful to redo the passages that ive already done. I have a really good memory so I remember passages even a week after I've read them.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:13 pm

you did not by any means bomb it. definitely do not stress over it - just be grateful this was a PT and not the real thing. The real thing is all that matters and all this performance will do for you is help you and teach you. Remember, none of these practice scores mean a thing - it's all what happens on test day.

s254w

Postby s254w » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks MissLucky. I really need to not let stress get to me, I guess.

Still wondering if redoing passages is helpful. What do most people think?

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:06 pm

s254w wrote:Still wondering if redoing passages is helpful. What do most people think?

I'd say to just go carefully over the ones you got wrong.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:17 pm

s254w wrote:
Still wondering if redoing passages is helpful. What do most people think?

I myself do tend to redo passages completely just for my own sake because it makes me feel thorough, but recently i'm letting it slip by the wayside because time is limited and redoing passages and analyzing them takes a shitload of time for me and i'm not even sure I learn much along the way (except for the substantive content of the passages!) or if it helps me to improve at all. I think it's better to crank out practice on things you can count on for concrete returns. but obviously definitely go over the specific questions you got wrong.

bball85

Postby bball85 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I just took both PT 58 and 59 and I would advise against taking 59 if you're stressing. In my opinion it was by far the hardest test administered in the past 3 years or so (PT 50 and beyond).

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:58 pm

bball85 wrote:I just took both PT 58 and 59 and I would advise against taking 59 if you're stressing. In my opinion it was by far the hardest test administered in the past 3 years or so (PT 50 and beyond).

Nice. I am going to take 59 right now, after having a tough time with 60 yesterday.

I think the practice will outweigh the stress.

s254w

Postby s254w » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:59 pm

I don't think I want to skip doing 59. Isn't it important to do the most recent tests? Also, what might be true for you may not apply to me?

God, I can't wait for Saturday to be over!!

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm

I found 59 hard but scored higher because the curve was more generous.

Different people have different experiences...

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm

dhrizek wrote:
bball85 wrote:I just took both PT 58 and 59 and I would advise against taking 59 if you're stressing. In my opinion it was by far the hardest test administered in the past 3 years or so (PT 50 and beyond).

Nice. I am going to take 59 right now, after having a tough time with 60 yesterday.

I just finished the first 2 sections of 59. Got killed!

LG -7 :cry:
LR -4 :|

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:01 pm

yea I have all the RCs from 50 and up in a folder and I read them before I go to sleep at night. I was reading random articles online but I think its good to read actual LSAT passages even if you've already done them. After reading, look really hard at the question stems and analyze all the choices like you would reviewing LR.

doug_7506

Postby doug_7506 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:24 pm

I think this test is atypically hard....

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:29 pm

doug_7506 wrote:I think this test is atypically hard....

What did you think of the LG?

doug_7506

Postby doug_7506 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:40 pm

The forth one is what hurt me.....

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:38 pm

minnbills wrote:
dhrizek wrote:

Holy crap. I just did the LGs. It took me 44 minutes and I got -4. Adjusting it for proper time, I would have scored a -10!

That is one hell of a curve though. I could still potentially (fat chance) get a 170+ on this even after a -10 LG section.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm

doug_7506 wrote:The forth one is what hurt me.....

As usual, everyone's hardest games are my best. It took me about 11 minutes to do game 4 and I got a perfect score. What really killed me was #1. I think I was just out of it or something, it took me 12 minutes to get through 5 questions, and it wasn't even that hard. Game 3 took me over 14 minutes to finish, and I made most of my mistakes on it.

I think the Game 3 type is what is going to get me on Saturday. I write out all the rules, contrapositives and hten make a list of what the presence of each letter means, but it is really time consuming, and I still end up getting stumped on questions because not all the inferences are there. But then there are questions like 14, which are super easy but I missed it and wasted a lot of time thinking about it. I just had to rule out any answer with Psychology (which requires S9) and World History(which doesn't allow S9) and been left with the correct answer.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:01 pm

PT 59 has a few tricky LR questions (one of which, I wholeheartedly disagree with the credited response. I can see why LSAC likes it, but it assumes too much information for me to be a viable candidate) but the LG and RC are very smooth if you don't let the presentation shock you! I, like many of you, often get spooked by a seemingly hard LG or tough RC passage. But once you get down to the nitty gritty it really is an easy game/passage. I think PT 59 is typical of this.

LG 1: This is nice because all you have to realise is L cannot be the middle floor and you are good to go!

LG 2: A fairly standard sequencing game, shouldnt be too many issues here.

LG 3: :( looks like a bad case of an In/Game. But if we write out all the conditional statements and associated contraposatives and note the appropriate place holders, you should be good to go! What's important for the questions where you're asked what is a possible list/partial list of the courses, is that you note which courses are not selected! More often then not, the lack of courses kills an answer choice.

LG 4: Brutal! The setup looks hard, our split blocks seem to produce no immediate restrictions, just not good! But if you go through the questions, almost every answer choice plays off an explicit rule. Take question 23 for example: it looks like a daunting question but if you think about the credited response, the V/L split block in tandom with the rule that V must be by W means W cannot be beside L or else it will not be beside V. That's right from the rules! The question then becomes, how do you go through the remaining answer choices and find the evident credited response? The answer to which is just look briefly at the answers! If it doesn't seem like it must be false then move on, if by the end of the list you cannot say any of them must be false then you brute force it to a greater extent. But in most cases, the rules will be played off of in a big way!

I actually thought RC was pretty decent for this PT. The third one was a weee bit rough if you didnt remember the details though.

By the way, don't freak out! You are well prepared, you will be focused on test day, and all will be well. Trust in that and you will be fine.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:PT 59 has a few tricky LR questions (one of which, I wholeheartedly disagree with the credited response. I can see why LSAC likes it, but it assumes too much information for me to be a viable candidate) but the LG and RC are very smooth if you don't let the presentation shock you! I, like many of you, often get spooked by a seemingly hard LG or tough RC passage. But once you get down to the nitty gritty it really is an easy game/passage. I think PT 59 is typical of this.

LG 1: This is nice because all you have to realise is L cannot be the middle floor and you are good to go!

LG 3: :( looks like a bad case of an In/Game. But if we write out all the conditional statements and associated contraposatives and note the appropriate place holders, you should be good to go! What's important for the questions where you're asked what is a possible list/partial list of the courses, is that you note which courses are not selected! More often then not, the lack of courses kills an answer choice.

LG 4: Brutal! The setup looks hard, our split blocks seem to produce no immediate restrictions, just not good! But if you go through the questions, almost every answer choice plays off an explicit rule. Take question 23 for example: it looks like a daunting question but if you think about the credited response, the V/L split block in tandom with the rule that V must be by W means W cannot be beside L or else it will not be beside V. That's right from the rules! The question then becomes, how do you go through the remaining answer choices and find the evident credited response? The answer to which is just look briefly at the answers! If it doesn't seem like it must be false then move on, if by the end of the list you cannot say any of them must be false then you brute force it to a greater extent. But in most cases, the rules will be played off of in a big way!

I actually thought RC was pretty decent for this PT. The third one was a weee bit rough if you didnt remember the details though.

By the way, don't freak out! You are well prepared, you will be focused on test day, and all will be well. Trust in that and you will be fine.

The third RC was KILLER. It BLEW MY MIND.

I felt like taking a nap after doing RC on PT 59.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:PT 59 has a few tricky LR questions (one of which, I wholeheartedly disagree with the credited response. I can see why LSAC likes it, but it assumes too much information for me to be a viable candidate) but the LG and RC are very smooth if you don't let the presentation shock you! I, like many of you, often get spooked by a seemingly hard LG or tough RC passage. But once you get down to the nitty gritty it really is an easy game/passage. I think PT 59 is typical of this.

The third RC was KILLER. It BLEW MY MIND.

I felt like taking a nap after doing RC on PT 59.

haha :P I felt the questions were condusive to second-guessing. That is, there really is only one correct answer to each question and if you retained at least some of the information from the passage you would get the correct answer, but have zero confidence in that answer! LOL That's how I felt anyways

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:31 pm

dhrizek wrote:
minnbills wrote:
dhrizek wrote:

Holy crap. I just did the LGs. It took me 44 minutes and I got -4. Adjusting it for proper time, I would have scored a -10!

That is one hell of a curve though. I could still potentially (fat chance) get a 170+ on this even after a -10 LG section.

Yeah the LGs were tough. Most of my mistakes were just stupid and probably could have been corrected if I had checked my answers more thoroughly. Oh well.

I recovered on the rest of the test:

LR2: -3
RC: -5. Two missed on the naguchi, actually didn't find it all that bad.

Finished with a 166. I think 4-5 questions short of my 168 goal.

I have to figure out what's going on with my LG performance, they're holding me back and I can't seem to get out of this funk.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:11 pm

-4 on LR1. Yet another horrible score. 2 Methods, 1 Impact and 1 Assumption.

#26 - I get hit by another assumption question. Negating the CR does the trick, but it is so non-intuitive. I picked E, which I guess is wrong because even if hte prices are standardized, you can still "compare" them. I immediately discounted B because I saw "a large number" in the question and just assumed that the argument didn't say that all buyers needed to do this, but the quote from the question is actually referring to sellers. Avoidable, I guess.

#22 - I get why it is not C, but A doesn't seem right to me. It is a very weak answer. E and D weaken the argument so they are obviously wrong, and B is kind of irrelevant. But A just isn't that good of an answer. IMO it doesn't strengthen the argument very much more than B does.

#18 - Ouch. I sat there and stared at it between C and D, and I just don't see how either is better than the other. I guessed incorrectly, but I could have gone either way and I still can. I am warming to D a bit, but I have noticed that it is really easy to understand which is better when you already know which is the "correct" one. It is harder to actually eliminate C as a contender.

#7 - meh. A bit toucher than a single digit question should be, but whatever.

Halfway through the test and I am at 170. Crossing fingers for -0 on RC and LR2 :roll:

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:06 pm

I found #59 horrible and very confidence killing. THat said, I'm blaming it on other factors like the fact that I took it like 20 minutes after an hour and 20 minute test on Roman Society where I basically vomited my brain onto the page (understandably had little brain left for the PT).

For RC, I was getting concerned about the RCs since I went from a typical -0 to -1, to a more typical -2 to -3 or even 4! I decided that rather than re-doing RC (not helpful for me), I would buy the more recent RCs that I hadn't done and do those instead. For me, those were 44, 41, 40, and 39. I did 41 and 40 yesterday, did PT 59 today and scored a -1 on RC, and I COULD have scored a -0 if I hadn't read negative and thought positive (yeah, smart). I think it's just a matter of re-adjusting to the new style.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”