Finding with conclusion without indicators?

Stang8

Finding with conclusion without indicators?

Postby Stang8 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Hey guys,

So i am reviewing the Mainpoint sections in the LRB, and I am having a hard time finding the conclusion because the arguments lack conclusion indicators. The LRB recommends to insert premise and conc indicators to determine the conclusion, but im finding that even more complicated as it the argument still sounds valid to me when i use the wrong indicators. What should i do to determine the conclusion when the conclusion indicators are not present?

whymeohgodno

Re: Finding with conclusion without indicators?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:37 pm

I just got the hang of it as I did more and more LR sections.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:21 pm

read it and treat it like rc. paraphrase whats going on, and take notice of signal words ( are they negative about something, defending something, etc) You need to make sure to include all relevant info in the answer. the answer will tend to be wishy washy as a result.

the best way to get these down pat is to drill drill drill youll get the hang of it in no time. I think of them as trap question types. They look nice and easy, but they can be a royal pain!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:41 am

If they're asking a question about the main point/conclusion of a stimulus in LR, the conclusion is likely NOT the last sentence or where you'd logically expect it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:29 am

most often the conclusion is somewhere in the middle.. if you're unsure use the why test? ( the conclusion always answers why for each premise)

WithoutMe

Postby WithoutMe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:38 am

May be just me but I have seen a trend of putting the main point in the first sentence with a very long stimulus because some people forget the very first sentence they read.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”