PT57, LR1, #24

PT57, LR1, #24

Postby RFKScott » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:09 pm

I am having trouble with this problem. The stimuli and answer choices definitely have me confused on this question. Couldnt find the explanation on Atlas LSAT. Can anyone help explain this one to me?

Re: PT57, LR1, #24

Postby jfb » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:21 pm

I got this one right but wasn't quite sure why so I went back and broke it down to make sure I understood it The main thing to realize is that there is a leap between the premises which talk about ideas and the conclusion which talks about meaning. Just knowing that is sufficient to pick E, as it is the only one that link ideas and meaning. Here's how I broke it down for myself, don't know if it makes sense, but:

Conc: It is wrong to think that the meaning of a poem is whatever the author intends to communicate

P: Great poems can express contradictory ideas
P: No one writing a poem ever intends or a poem to communicate contradictory ideas

Have to assume that ideas = meaning, or that a poem with contradictory ideas will therefore, have a contradictory meaning, or the conclusion would not follow (if ideas were not related to the meaning as E says, the conclusion would not follow

Hope this helps a little

Re: PT57, LR1, #24

Postby yzero1 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:27 pm

This is a tricky question that took me a few minutes to fully comprehend.

The conclusion is that the MEANING of a poem is not what the author intends it to communicate. Why? Because readers of great poems sometimes believe that the poems express contradictory ideas, but no authors of great poems actually intends them to communicate contradictory ideas.

Obviously, the conclusion makes no sense.

The issue is that people BELIEVING that a poem has certain ideas does NOT necessarily mean that the poem actually has those ideas. The reader's belief could be completely ridiculous, or it could misinterpret the intentions of the author.

If you negate (E), then a reader's belief that a poem expresses a certain idea IS NOT part of the meaning of the poem, and the conclusion does not follow. Even if readers believe that my poem is contradictory, their believe may be complete bullshit so the ACTUAL meaning of the poem is unaffected by their beliefs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”