October or December?

ZDS
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:14 pm

October or December?

Postby ZDS » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:22 pm

I am currently signed up to take the LSAT on October 9th and I have not prepared adequately.

I started studying about 3 days ago. I've taken a couple practice tests and have scores of 166/168. (I didn't study, because I got a 171 cold on my first diagnostic a few months ago and assumed I'd be fine ><) My GPA is sitting about a 3.35(will be a 3.39-3.40 after this semester). I am aiming to get into: Pepperdine or Loyola with significant $$$.(Or a similar ranked school with most paid for, but preferably one of those two)

Do you think I should chance it next week, hope for a 170+ or study up for December and take it then.

I'd be fine with taking it in December, but I worry that I won't get $$$$ from one of those schools if I apply that late and that is a deciding factor for me.

I appreciate the help and thanks in advance!

-ZDS

tourdeforcex
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: October or December?

Postby tourdeforcex » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:01 pm

I am applying to law schools for the first time so I am not an expert on scholarship money and timing. From what I hear and read though, I think it's important to be applying as early as possible. I mean applications already opened up, people have already started applying to schools.

My other thoughts: 171 cold is impressive. Two practice tests offer a point of reference but does not definitely indicate your ability. Have you reviewed and discovered what your weaknesses were? Was it specific to one type of question? LG? RC? Was it a timing issue? Take that extra 30 minutes to find out. If it's something you find that can be easily corrected, take October. Also another thing is I'm not sure if schools look favorably at an absence.

I'd say put in the effort these next few days and give it a shot. Be focused, disciplined, and positive.

tourdeforcex
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: October or December?

Postby tourdeforcex » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Oh, about financial aid: there is a separate forum on that in TLS. Consider dropping the question in a thread there.

ZDS
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: October or December?

Postby ZDS » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:28 pm

I appreciate your help, I will drop this into the Fin Aid forum! Thanks again! :)

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: October or December?

Postby justadude55 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:35 pm

ZDS wrote:I am currently signed up to take the LSAT on October 9th and I have not prepared adequately.

I started studying about 3 days ago. I've taken a couple practice tests and have scores of 166/168. (I didn't study, because I got a 171 cold on my first diagnostic a few months ago and assumed I'd be fine ><) My GPA is sitting about a 3.35(will be a 3.39-3.40 after this semester). I am aiming to get into: Pepperdine or Loyola with significant $$$.(Or a similar ranked school with most paid for, but preferably one of those two)

Do you think I should chance it next week, hope for a 170+ or study up for December and take it then.

I'd be fine with taking it in December, but I worry that I won't get $$$$ from one of those schools if I apply that late and that is a deciding factor for me.

I appreciate the help and thanks in advance!

-ZDS


if you got a 171 cold, you're a genius. i started in the low 160s and this was very impressive to a lot of people. congrats.

it seems you've lost a lot since you took your diag, or just didn't improve but now have stress. the fact is if you got a 171 cold, i think you're really cutting back your future possibly by going to one of their schools. there is nothing wrong with them, but most people who get a 180 and attend H/Y/S don't start with a 171. i think you'd be making a big mistake if you take in october. yes, october is better for scholarships but there's money reserved for some "special candidates" regardless, and a 175+ at loyola or pepperdine would deem you "special." if you can get even 2 points better, id say december. you're also cutting yourself off at superior schools you'd likely get into by being so far above the median on the LSAT.

unless you have a job lined up out of school, your laziness is wasting a mind a lot of people would kill for.

ZDS
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: October or December?

Postby ZDS » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:05 pm

justadude55 wrote:
ZDS wrote:I am currently signed up to take the LSAT on October 9th and I have not prepared adequately.

I started studying about 3 days ago. I've taken a couple practice tests and have scores of 166/168. (I didn't study, because I got a 171 cold on my first diagnostic a few months ago and assumed I'd be fine ><) My GPA is sitting about a 3.35(will be a 3.39-3.40 after this semester). I am aiming to get into: Pepperdine or Loyola with significant $$$.(Or a similar ranked school with most paid for, but preferably one of those two)

Do you think I should chance it next week, hope for a 170+ or study up for December and take it then.

I'd be fine with taking it in December, but I worry that I won't get $$$$ from one of those schools if I apply that late and that is a deciding factor for me.

I appreciate the help and thanks in advance!

-ZDS


if you got a 171 cold, you're a genius. i started in the low 160s and this was very impressive to a lot of people. congrats.

it seems you've lost a lot since you took your diag, or just didn't improve but now have stress. the fact is if you got a 171 cold, i think you're really cutting back your future possibly by going to one of their schools. there is nothing wrong with them, but most people who get a 180 and attend H/Y/S don't start with a 171. i think you'd be making a big mistake if you take in october. yes, october is better for scholarships but there's money reserved for some "special candidates" regardless, and a 175+ at loyola or pepperdine would deem you "special." if you can get even 2 points better, id say december. you're also cutting yourself off at superior schools you'd likely get into by being so far above the median on the LSAT.

unless you have a job lined up out of school, your laziness is wasting a mind a lot of people would kill for.



I wouldn't necessarily call it laziness because I've been helping launch a company the whole time, but I appreciate the insight and understand where you are coming from. It did come off as laziness, but there's other circumstances!

I think the 171 Cold Diag was mainly from a few lucky guesses, I seem to be sitting in the 168 range, but I agree it could be because I am nearing the date and cramming.

I've heard multiple LSAT can be bad. Would taking an October- seeing how I do- then taking a December if I don't do as well as I hoped negatively affect how these schools view my applications and chances at money? I've heard some schools average the LSAT's or do not view the applications as strongly if there are multiple LSATs.

I've heard taking the December LSAT is worth it if you can raise your score a few points, however I am not just interested in acceptance, so I wasn't sure if the same rules still applied if I am just interested in scholarships.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: October or December?

Postby justadude55 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:45 pm

ZDS wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
ZDS wrote:I am currently signed up to take the LSAT on October 9th and I have not prepared adequately.

I started studying about 3 days ago. I've taken a couple practice tests and have scores of 166/168. (I didn't study, because I got a 171 cold on my first diagnostic a few months ago and assumed I'd be fine ><) My GPA is sitting about a 3.35(will be a 3.39-3.40 after this semester). I am aiming to get into: Pepperdine or Loyola with significant $$$.(Or a similar ranked school with most paid for, but preferably one of those two)

Do you think I should chance it next week, hope for a 170+ or study up for December and take it then.

I'd be fine with taking it in December, but I worry that I won't get $$$$ from one of those schools if I apply that late and that is a deciding factor for me.

I appreciate the help and thanks in advance!

-ZDS


if you got a 171 cold, you're a genius. i started in the low 160s and this was very impressive to a lot of people. congrats.

it seems you've lost a lot since you took your diag, or just didn't improve but now have stress. the fact is if you got a 171 cold, i think you're really cutting back your future possibly by going to one of their schools. there is nothing wrong with them, but most people who get a 180 and attend H/Y/S don't start with a 171. i think you'd be making a big mistake if you take in october. yes, october is better for scholarships but there's money reserved for some "special candidates" regardless, and a 175+ at loyola or pepperdine would deem you "special." if you can get even 2 points better, id say december. you're also cutting yourself off at superior schools you'd likely get into by being so far above the median on the LSAT.

unless you have a job lined up out of school, your laziness is wasting a mind a lot of people would kill for.



I wouldn't necessarily call it laziness because I've been helping launch a company the whole time, but I appreciate the insight and understand where you are coming from. It did come off as laziness, but there's other circumstances!

I think the 171 Cold Diag was mainly from a few lucky guesses, I seem to be sitting in the 168 range, but I agree it could be because I am nearing the date and cramming.

I've heard multiple LSAT can be bad. Would taking an October- seeing how I do- then taking a December if I don't do as well as I hoped negatively affect how these schools view my applications and chances at money? I've heard some schools average the LSAT's or do not view the applications as strongly if there are multiple LSATs.

I've heard taking the December LSAT is worth it if you can raise your score a few points, however I am not just interested in acceptance, so I wasn't sure if the same rules still applied if I am just interested in scholarships.


you might get a full ride to pepperdine with a 165-170. you might not. >170 will certainly improve your odds. also, people normally do a few points worse on the test itself.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, iskim88, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 8 guests