Study Technique: Month Blocks of LG, LR, RC?

ebm3q

Study Technique: Month Blocks of LG, LR, RC?

Postby ebm3q » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:49 pm

I am curious to know if anyone deeper into their studying might be able to comment on how effective it is to study in month blocks. For example, Month 1, LG. Month 2, LR., ect. Do you think this is too long of a gap between topics? I am taking the test in June, and I have just started seriously studying. A popular LSAT blogger recommends this block approach in the beginning, but I am afraid I might forget all my LG knowledge if I put it away for a whole month. Any thoughts? Thank you!

minnbills

Re: Study Technique: Month Blocks of LG, LR, RC?

Postby minnbills » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:09 pm

There's nothing wrong with studying one section more than another, but to completely neglect 2 areas in favor of 1 for a whole month is a bad idea IMO. Granted, you have a long while before the test; but I think you would be better served to study hard in one section while at least keeping up with the others.

It may also depend on your natural strengths, however. I've never really studied LR or RC in a systematic sort of way. I bought the bibles but didn't find them particularly useful. I've been scoring in the same range on those sections for a long time, with an occasional outlier. LG on the other hand are a different story.... :twisted: So I've poured a lot into that area.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:18 pm

for me, i have to constantly be doing something from all of the sections, or i notice a decrease in those areas. a month ( or 2) gap is a long time to remember. if you must, focus on each aspect of the test in week long segments for the first 2 months, then practice each segment more frequently as you go. however, there are a lot of ways to study for this sucker, whatever works best for you is the right way.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:19 pm

No offense, but this sounds like a terrible idea. If you're like most people, you get rusty in RC, LR or LG after a week or two of neglect.

ebm3q

Postby ebm3q » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:44 pm

Agreed. I thought it sounded a bit crazy, but since I do have so much time, I wanted to get some second opinions. I won't be following this strategy. :) Thanks a lot!

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:52 pm

ebm3q wrote:Agreed. I thought it sounded a bit crazy, but since I do have so much time, I wanted to get some second opinions. I won't be following this strategy. :) Thanks a lot!

You'll be surprised how fast testday arrives. It seems like just yesterday I was taking my first preptest, that was back in April. I would kill for another month, and I've been on top of my studying too.

Take advantage of the time you have.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:56 pm

I would start with LG, get a handle on that, and then start LR/RC while continuing to keep up LG. There's nothing wrong with focusing on one section as long as you still take the other sections during the time you're focusing. Say you spend a week on LR, make sure to do 3-4 games during that time and maybe an RC every other day or every 3 days. You can focus more on a certain section while still "maintaining" your skill set for the other sections.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”