How important do you think it is to....

ly2010

How important do you think it is to....

Postby ly2010 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:51 pm

...learn the hardest games - the ones generally classified as top 10 hardest ever!?

I am definitely taking the Oct 9th LSAT and I'm definitely struggling with some of the "tougher games" i.e. PT 31 G2, gem, dino., lizards, etc.

When reviewing, I skipped them and just moved on. Now that I am running out of time I'm trying to prioritze what's important to learn this last week!

Let me know what you all think! Should I just do drill more games and focus on taking tests or spend the week on just these couple of games?

Thanks!

gdane

Re: How important do you think it is to....

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:52 pm

This is a no brainer. Its very important. Do every type of game out there. Ideally youll have wanted to do each and every single game.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Yeah, I figured. However, I SUCK at games. I can barely finish 3/4 even when they aren't SUPER hard. I'm thinking if I can do 50 more games instead of just those 10, the chances will be higher that I can at least do well on 3 out of the 4 games?

I am hoping to get 50-75% right on the G section. I am definitely not trying to get a -5 or less.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:57 pm

ly2010 wrote:Yeah, I figured. However, I SUCK at games. I can barely finish 3/4 even when they aren't SUPER hard. I'm thinking if I can do 50 more games instead of just those 10, the chances will be higher that I can at least do well on 3 out of the 4 games?

I am hoping to get 75% right on the G section. I am definitely not trying to get a -5 or less.

Well the point is to know how to do the games. Dont just do them unless you know what youre doing.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:58 pm

gdane5 wrote:
ly2010 wrote:Yeah, I figured. However, I SUCK at games. I can barely finish 3/4 even when they aren't SUPER hard. I'm thinking if I can do 50 more games instead of just those 10, the chances will be higher that I can at least do well on 3 out of the 4 games?

I am hoping to get 75% right on the G section. I am definitely not trying to get a -5 or less.

Well the point is to know how to do the games. Dont just do them unless you know what youre doing.

My problem is timing. I know most people would recommend not taking it since I am obviously not ready but I don't have a choice. If I REALLY mess up, I will cancel.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:07 pm

why dont you have a choice? There is always december. if december doesnt work out for you, waiting until june ( and applying next fall) is agood fallback option. If you are a senior in school waiiting a year give you time to relax from the rigors of school work, and pay off some of those loans. If you are working, then another year working allows you to build up more money to pay for law school. Work the games as best as you can this week, take the october exam. If you take the exam in December, you can still apply this cycle ( just have every application done and ready to submit as soon as you get your score). Perhaps you will miss out on some scholarship money, but you wont be applying late. ( late is submitting any application after january 15th)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Protip, if you can't do any games section timed w/o missing 0-1 questions DON'T TAKE THE LSAT YET.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:02 pm

ly2010 wrote:the ones generally classified as top 10 hardest ever!?

I think it is more important to re-do games that you have previously bombed.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:55 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:
ly2010 wrote:the ones generally classified as top 10 hardest ever!?

I think it is more important to re-do games that you have previously bombed.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Northwood, I don't have a choice because I will be out of the country for a year. With my GPA and the schools I am looking into, I don't need a very high LSAT. Also, since I am consistently missing -0 to -2 on LR and doing pretty well on RC (I did 8 passages today and got -2 total), I can afford to mess up a little on the Game section. I think even 50% on the G section, I can still get the score I need.

What I am upset about is that I didn't start earlier. Giving myself a month/half wasn't enough. I had all summer so I'm a little disappointed at myself. I wish I found this forum earlier!

Thanks for all the advice. I will keep on practicing until Thursday.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:49 pm

I wonder if I am stupid or something. How long/how many games did you guys have to do to get to -0 and -2. I am seriously thinking about going in/taking the test/cancelling and just focusing on Games for 2 months. It's more of a pride thing now than anything else.

This whole time LSAT prep time I've been focusing on G's and I still suck at them. I can get -0's on LR with English being my third language yet I can't figure get 75% correct on games... I'm starting to feel super stupid!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:51 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 pm

it takes a while to get some of the games... even when you think that you have it down, there is always some oddball rule or some weird mapping or circle game and that could always pop up... every game is solvable though so realistically it is just practice and experience. do every game at least once, preferably twice and you will be alright.

if you are doing badly, give it round 3. personally speaking, sometimes a game that has been tough for me time 1(dogs, ribbons, labradors, males/females) ends up being equally tough the 2nd time. this tells me that I still need more practice. you would be surprised how much of a game you truly do remember. most of them end up being M N O P Q S being put into group A B C D etc. etc. You don't always remember the solution as well as you might remember a LR question.

With that being said, there aren't THAT many games that you could practice on. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do every game that has ever been released at least once. Roughly 60 released tests total x 4 games on each one. 240 games to practice. Seems like a lot but if you boil it down, 60 tests x 35 mintues(games section only) = 2100 minutes of game practice. If you studying 8 hours a day(which a lot of people study more than), then you could study 480 minutes worth of games a day and in less than a week have done about every game.

Don't get me wrong, I never studied this much but its very possible and is being done by a ton of people who are competing with/against you. My friend showed me his study schedule for law school. 8AM wake up, 9AM gym 10 AM bfast. 11-1:30 study; 1:30-2 lunch; 2-4:30 study; 4:30-5 break; 5-7:30 study; 7:30-8 dinner, then if you want study more after dinner or just bullshit till 10, 11, 12 and then go to sleep. even if you bullshitted from 8-12 and got in bed at 12, you would still be getting 8 hours of sleep, 3 meals, and over 7 hours of studying every day lol. It seems pretty reasonable to me, if of course you don't have other obligations.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:30 pm

eeh.. i think 3-4 hours a day is fine for study... more than that and youre going to burn out, or become an lsat zombie.

I do every game at least 3 times. the first time, i jsut try to get all of the deductions, and answer all questions right.
time 2 ( not on same day as time 1) i try to analyze how and why the right answers are right( take notes for each answer)
time 3 ( later inthe week) i aim to complete the game in 8 min 44 seconds, with -0

if im still struggling with the game ill re do it until i konw it inside and out.. theres some games that ive done 6 times ( these ones are the mapping, tables, and radar type games, but the point is- work on the game until you understand how and WHY it works the way it does)

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Studying a lot isn't a problem for me. I wrote 3 honor theses in one semester. I spent 3 weeks writing one that was 100 pages without references. I jusr didn't approach the LSAT in the right way. I think I get it now though thanks to this forum. I underestimated this test because the majority of my LSAT buddies all got 168+ without much studying. My best friends both got perfect scores. It simply isn't realistic doing all of this with the time I gave myself for the October test. I've probably spent 8 weeks total - 6 of those weeks I only did 2 hours a day max & the other two I did 6-8 hrs/day.

The advice certainly made me feel better. I will definitely repeat Games. I think I've done maybe 50 or so games once. I see that that's not enough for me at least.

Unless I get super lucky and get four advanced linear/basic linear/grouping, I will probably cancel, work on games, and retake in December.

Thanks again, guys!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”