Help! LR

cmattos

Help! LR

Postby cmattos » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:51 pm

So I really need help on LR. I CANNOT improve my scores in the LR sections. I have improved so much in games and rc has always been my strong section to begin with, but LR sections KILL my score every time.

I have drilled the sections, I took a prep class so I know the concepts, but I think I am just not applying them or don't really know what to look for I guess. I don't know how to improve at this point; even if it is only a few points in LR I would be happy. I tend to get most of the first half of the section all right and then towards the end of the section I will get like 4 or 5 wrong in a row.

The PT I just did, June 2005, I got -11 on section 3. WTF. Pretty much numbers 17-25 I got wrong.

Anyone want to give me advice/or an example of one of these specific questions as an example in how to apply the concepts that I am apparently missing?

JJDancer

Re: Help! LR

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:58 pm

I think the types of qs you miss might be these...

Assumption questions:
Flaw:
Employs which one of the following techniques:
and parallel reasoning.

I don't really know how to help you unless you reference a specific question though.

It's close to exam day so I guess I would say cross off the answer choice that you originally put for #s 17-25 and take 12-15 mins to try them all again without seeing the correct answer *just with the 4 remaining answer choices. See if you notice anything different. Think about the stimulus differently and try to knock out wrong answer choices (there will always be at least one word that makes it wrong).

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:58 pm

In my opinion if youre getting the first 17 right then it's probably an issue of stamina. To improve all you could do is just keep practicing for this last week. Keep attacking questions. One thing that helps me is I pretend the person/thing/representative saying the stimulus is a really big douche. So I'll do all I can to take apart their argument cause they suck.

Hope this helps.

cmattos

Postby cmattos » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:06 pm

JJ, yeah, I do miss those types frequently.

Ok, so what is your process (or anyone's) for solving question 17 in section 3, for example??

Or question 19?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:18 pm

You can PM me the questions because I don't have access to PT 45.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:22 pm

LR is the hardest to improve on, dude. I only really noticed improvement when I started doing timed sections and stopped focusing on particular question types. I think the real challenge to LR is retaining 25-26 different arguments in 35 minutes. The faster you can read and understand the stimulus, the better.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”