RC trend? Hardest RC?

DrackedaryMaster

Re: RC trend? Hardest RC?

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:58 pm

1 word: Noguchi (59)

Not a bad passage, but one of the worst sets of questions I have ever encountered. Went -5 on this one alone. Even after going back in review and rereading the passage, the questions still suck. I've done Basins, Groupthink, Cather, Fractals, etc and the BS of the Noguchi question set greatly exceeds anything of the other "difficult" passages. I think this passage alone largely contributed to the -14 curve on PT59.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:20 pm

I feel like I had to adjust my strategy for RC once I hit the 50's. Prior to that, I could get away with understanding the gist of the passage without getting too much in detail and the questions would give answer choices that would give you a fair chance at educated guessing between two choices. Now the answer choices are a lot less clear and obvious and I've had to adjust my strategy to spending less time reading and more time on the questions because I need to refer back a lot more often than before.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:16 pm

almostthereee wrote:I feel like I had to adjust my strategy for RC once I hit the 50's. Prior to that, I could get away with understanding the gist of the passage without getting too much in detail and the questions would give answer choices that would give you a fair chance at educated guessing between two choices. Now the answer choices are a lot less clear and obvious and I've had to adjust my strategy to spending less time reading and more time on the questions because I need to refer back a lot more often than before.

I agree. With the older RC passages, I mostly just skimmed over the entire passage once and went back only for line-specific questions. But now it's like I have to pay attention to and remember all these details, or else I end up spending way too much time when I get to the questions.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Last edited by ATR on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:40 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:1 word: Noguchi (59)

Not a bad passage, but one of the worst sets of questions I have ever encountered. Went -5 on this one alone. Even after going back in review and rereading the passage, the questions still suck. I've done Basins, Groupthink, Cather, Fractals, etc and the BS of the Noguchi question set greatly exceeds anything of the other "difficult" passages. I think this passage alone largely contributed to the -14 curve on PT59.

Agreed. Just finished 59 now and I was pretty shocked by how many I missed (6) on that passage alone. It was a bit dense but I still felt like I had a good grasp of what was going on heading into the questions. Even after doing the questions I felt I did okay even though they were definitely worded a bit more difficultly but I guess I fell for a lot more of the trap answers than I thought. RC was one of my stronger suits heading into the 50's... now it's completely seesawed into my worst section... by far.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:33 am

Just did Riddled Basis. It took me 10:38, which is a little long but nothing too terrible considering the number of questions and the difficulty of the passage. I got 6/7, I put A instead of B for number 28.

Once again, it is ridiculously vague. The beginning of the passage states that Riddled Basins result when there is an "undetectable" difference in starting conditions, which from the point of view of the chemist is consistent with A and not B. If the chemist knew that the starting conditions were different in each experiment then there is no conflict with the replication principle.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28 am

obviously you can infer that the chemist/ author in riddled basins is an idiot ( the answer to question 29).

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:14 am

Just finished 59, went -2 on Noguchi.

Even though RC is typically my weak point, I really do think that the reason I missed both of the questions was fatigue and lack of concentration after three hours of other crap (and the additional burden for me of adding an RC experimental). I didn't find it any more difficult than any of the other problems.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:04 pm

I would love it if the writing section is this:

The answer to #28 could be either A or B. Explain why the answer you chose was superior to the other.

jfb

Postby jfb » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:51 pm

nsideirish wrote:Intellectual authority vs. institutional authority...it was somewhere in the 40s. I could read that one over and over again and still not fully grasp it and understand the questions. Very aggravating.

Just did that today...fun shit

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”