Is the experimental literally indistinguishable?

lsatextreme

Is the experimental literally indistinguishable?

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:50 pm

I mean, I realize it has to be otherwise everyone would guess, but I'm taking this one test with an LR experimental section (an actual experimental section on the real test) that just really threw me off on the types of questions and answer choices that they were asking and even though I found out it was experimental later on, it somehow felt obvious to me. Am I just trippin or is this some unintended consequence of LSAC putting in an experimental section for its purposes?

txadv11

Re: Is the experimental literally indistinguishable?

Postby txadv11 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:59 pm

lsatextreme wrote:I mean, I realize it has to be otherwise everyone would guess, but I'm taking this one test with an LR experimental section (an actual experimental section on the real test) that just really threw me off on the types of questions and answer choices that they were asking and even though I found out it was experimental later on, it somehow felt obvious to me. Am I just trippin or is this some unintended consequence of LSAC putting in an experimental section for its purposes?

I have spotted it a few times. I have also spotted what I thought was the Exp and turns out I was wrong!
Some people claim to be able to figure it out based on what order and type of sections you get. I don't buy into this reasoning, I treat every section as real and if one is particularly easy, then I hope that it counts rather than not give it 100% based on a mere guess.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:01 pm

Dont try to guess the experimental. I had deadly consequences on Sept 2009 because I tried to do this. I learned my lesson.

On that note, I think its messed up that we essentially pay LSAC to be guinea pigs for their experimental LSAT questions and whatnot. Assholes...

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I say do all 5 as if they all count. The chances of you guessing wrong and being totally screwed is way too high to risk it.

I dont know anybody who can take an unnecessary -25 hit on the test and STILL reach their target score.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:08 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I say do all 5 as if they all count. The chances of you guessing wrong and being totally screwed is way too high to risk it.

I dont know anybody who can take an unnecessary -25 hit on the test and STILL reach their target score.

Uh yea! Youre looking at a moron that incorrectly guessed the experimental on Sept 2009. Im lucky though because I ended up getting 14 correct on that section in spite of essentially bubbling random letters...

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:18 pm

lsatextreme wrote:I mean, I realize it has to be otherwise everyone would guess, but I'm taking this one test with an LR experimental section (an actual experimental section on the real test) that just really threw me off on the types of questions and answer choices that they were asking and even though I found out it was experimental later on, it somehow felt obvious to me. Am I just trippin or is this some unintended consequence of LSAC putting in an experimental section for its purposes?

Experimental sections are unreleased. If you were taking a test if an experimental included (like most prep test companies do), that "experimental" was actually just an older, actual section from a previously released test.

Don't try to guess experimental sections on the actual test. I taught the LSAT for a year before taking the LSAT for a 3rd time, and I actually thought an LR section section seemed a little weird (and thus the experimental). Turned out it was an actual section that was just a little weird (and thank god I treated it like a normal section). You might be able to venture a good guess on the experimental if you have a lot of experience with the test, but you can still be wrong. Thus, it's just not worth it.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:25 pm

txadv11 wrote:Some people claim to be able to figure it out based on what order and type of sections you get.

These people must do terrible on the logic games.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:29 pm

spondee wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Some people claim to be able to figure it out based on what order and type of sections you get.

These people must do terrible on the logic games.

Yeah, this method is only useful in determining what the experimental was after the fact (e.g. RC was included in one of the first 3 sections and then there is another RC on section 4).

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Experimental sections are unreleased. If you were taking a test if an experimental included (like most prep test companies do), that "experimental" was actually just an older, actual section from a previously released test.

Don't try to guess experimental sections on the actual test. I taught the LSAT for a year before taking the LSAT for a 3rd time, and I actually thought an LR section section seemed a little weird (and thus the experimental). Turned out it was an actual section that was just a little weird (and thank god I treated it like a normal section). You might be able to venture a good guess on the experimental if you have a lot of experience with the test, but you can still be wrong. Thus, it's just not worth it.

well then that settles it

now im mad as to how i was thrown off by an actual LR section

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:49 pm

It's also possible that the questions are simulated (not real) LSAT questions. I think for a time that our (Princeton Review's) experimental section on our free practice test had fake questions (even though the rest of the test was PT 30, a real test). It depends on what the test is and where it's from.

I had a pretty good guess which section was experimental in February and was right, but 1) I wasn't sure and 2) I've been teaching the LSAT for more than four years, so my familiarity with the test is a little greater than most people's. As those above have said, you can't tell except in hindsight.

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:11 pm

I suggest never trying to guess which section is experimental, but it will always be before the 15 min break. Either section 1, 2 or 3. Hope that helps. When I took it it was pretty obvious the experimental was a game section because I got two games in the first 3 sections, but I didnt know which one it was. Just put it out of your mind

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:22 pm

duh its easy. the writing sample is the experimental. thats why its not graded. All you have to do is wirte some sort of coherent essay that is on task ( and not draw pictures) and not worry about it in great detail. Any other section, you treat as if its real. because it either is real, or will be real on a later test

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”