Seeking advice on current predicament :(

nylost

Seeking advice on current predicament :(

Postby nylost » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:22 pm

I currently have an one absence on my record. I am not feeling fully prepared for the LSAT (unfortunately it's due to my own negligence and stupidity) next Saturday. My current score fluctuates in the mid 150s, from 151-156 pretty much. I know with a bit of consistency in studying and hard-work a score in the high 150s low 160s is achievable.

My question is, should I take the exam, score what I score and re-take in December?
Or should I go take the exam and cancel my score prior to leaving?

I am seeking any advice as I am an LS nub and any input is greatly appreciated, I`m lost and don't have much insight on the application/admittance process.

niederbomb

Re: Seeking advice on current predicament :(

Postby niederbomb » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Cancel.

Two of anything is bad: Absence or cancellation, and doubles require an addendum. But one of each is not as bad.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:17 pm

hey I kinda posted on this last night. Why would you cancel if a whole lot of schools (pretty much all except HYS) take your highest score? I totally get canceling when they used to average but now why not see your score? Is a cancel really that much better than a low score which it is their policy not to even look at?

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:15 pm

You have to ask yourself if allocating more time will necessarily produce results you're looking for. Think of it like this: if you're an undergrad, you've had all summer, and you weren't diligent enough. Are you suddenly going to become more diligent if you have another 2 months, with academics becoming more rigorous in school? I say just take it and hope for the best. How much longer do you want this exam hanging over your head? Buckle down this week and see what happens.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:26 pm

Just take the test. Two absences looks fishy, and a cancellation counts toward your two-year maximum anyway (you can only take the LSAT three times in two years). Take the test, see your score, and if you have to retake, then retake. I don't think law schools who accept low 160s LSAT scores are going to average.

nylost

Postby nylost » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:39 pm

thanks for the responses guys

nylost

Postby nylost » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 pm

FlanAl wrote:hey I kinda posted on this last night. Why would you cancel if a whole lot of schools (pretty much all except HYS) take your highest score? I totally get canceling when they used to average but now why not see your score? Is a cancel really that much better than a low score which it is their policy not to even look at?

hey, thanks for your input, appreciate it. I am just still very confused lol.

The only reason I don't want to risk it is I am afraid I`ll be on an off day and w/ my lack of appropriate prep I`ll end up with 151 or something.

nylost

Postby nylost » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:48 pm

waxecstatic wrote:You have to ask yourself if allocating more time will necessarily produce results you're looking for. Think of it like this: if you're an undergrad, you've had all summer, and you weren't diligent enough. Are you suddenly going to become more diligent if you have another 2 months, with academics becoming more rigorous in school? I say just take it and hope for the best. How much longer do you want this exam hanging over your head? Buckle down this week and see what happens.

I see where you are coming from. It's just that in the last month and half I have had a lot going on out of nowhere and kind the weeks flew by. I didn't have a plan/strategy or direction. The last few days though I have been much more determined, I have come up with a gameplan and with each test I have been taking I have gone up at least 1-3 points.
Fortunately I don't have to worry about classes, I just graduated this summer. I do work/intern at a law firm and courthouse for a judge. Both are very good with letting me take days off/lessen my hours so I may apply myself to the LSAT. At first I was too embarrassed to ask if I could come in less because I had just started at both but when I brought it up they were both very understanding and accommodating. I hate pushing the exam back and back, it's killing me. I do just want to get it over with but in the correct manner.
You are correct in your advice to buckle down this week, I have taken off from work/interning and will see what I am scoring Wed/Thurs/Fri and I guess I`ll see from there..

nylost

Postby nylost » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:07 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Just take the test. Two absences looks fishy, and a cancellation counts toward your two-year maximum anyway (you can only take the LSAT three times in two years). Take the test, see your score, and if you have to retake, then retake. I don't think law schools who accept low 160s LSAT scores are going to average.

Yea, def not doing another absence. I am just afraid of scoring let's say a 150... If I hit 160 in December won't schools perhaps see the two scores and figure perhaps I got lucky the second time around?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:15 pm

take the test. remember- with the december test, you have finals/ projects and term papers to get ready for and turn in. If you get a 150 on saturday, then take it again and get a 160 or whatever the schools will look at the second score. Going up 1 or 2 points can be attributed to luck, but not 10. You will have to write an addendum, in which you can explain your increase. You can take the test ( or sit for it) 3 times with no penalty. Yea the top 6 wont let you in, but there are plenty of excellent schools ( and in your area, the best school might be a tier 3 it just depends on where you live and where you want to work) out there. Remember- the majority of schools are regional schools- so where you go to school may have a big factor on where you end up working

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:23 pm

You should take it this upcoming weekend, as December is quite sometime away and as other posters noted, undergraduate courses tend to have paper, projects, and finals coming in then. In addition, rust may become a factor if you have used up your preptests.

nylost

Postby nylost » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:29 pm

I don't have to worry about any undergrad work, I just completed my graduation requirements this past June.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”